Big bike on the freeways of Taiwan. When and how big?

Dunno if you heard…
Bikes over 550cc can take all roads except highways (paid/toll) including car lanes and do direct left turn after July 1st 2007.
Bikes over 1200cc can take any roads including highways after July 1st 2007.

[quote=“Sly”]Dunno if you heard…
Bikes over 550cc can take all roads except highways (paid/toll) including car lanes and do direct left turn after July 1st 2007.
Bikes over 1200cc can take any roads including highways after July 1st 2007.[/quote]

Sly, Thanks for the info update…I wonder which uneducated backwater pleb in the government figured out that bikes over 1200cc could be good fro freeways?..there’s no sense in that…CCs have very little to do with power and speed capabilities for many modern motorcycles…!

[quote=“Captain Stag”][quote=“Sly”]Dunno if you heard…
Bikes over 1200cc can take any roads including highways after July 1st 2007.[/quote]

Sly, Thanks for the info update…I wonder which uneducated backwater pleb in the government figured out that bikes over 1200cc could be good fro freeways?..there’s no sense in that…CCs have very little to do with power and speed capabilities for many modern motorcycles…![/quote]

Would it have anything to do with the government making more tax dollars from larger cc bikes? That would make sense to me, the greedy barstuds! What are the tax brackets for bikes anyway?

So which moron decided that bikes should have to weigh a ton and cost three arms and a leg in order to ride them on the freeway? Morons, the lot of them. So if I had a 1200cc one of these:

Then I could travel on the freeway? Great! I can’t imagine a safer and smoother ride! :laughing:

總排汽量 牌照稅額(全年) 燃料稅(二年)
150cc $0 $900
151cc - 250cc $1,650 $1200
251cc - 500cc $2,200 $1800
501cc - 600cc $4,500 $2400
601cc - 1200cc $7,200 $3600
1201cc -1800cc $12,000 $3960
1801cc以上 $23,000 -----

indeed taxing on cc is very silly.

somebody said here once: If it would make sense they would not do it.

I could be wrong, but doesn’t Britain do exactly this?

As far as CCs determining freeway driving, an optimist might suggest that they want to phase bikes onto the freeways slowly, and doing it by CCs is a nice simple way to keep the numbers low at first.

Taxing on CC-age is very stupid indeed. C.C-age is not an indicator of polutant production, it is also not an indicator of power, it is also not an indicator of speed, and further more, it is not an indicator of fuel consumption levels. I wish politicians would just shut their cake holes before doing some homework sometimes! They are the most annoying poeple.

Thanks you very much Sly for your taxation breakdown although, I couldn’t understand the Chinese at the top of the post. Is that in respect to year?

sorry I forgot the translation! It is:
CC / plate tax(per year) / fuel tax(for two years)

I forgot there is a “processing fee” each time you renew your registration…about 777NT$

I don’t quite understand this “fuel tax” thingy. Don’t we pay tax on fuel when we purchase it already? How can they assume a fuel tax, when they don’t even know if we use any or how much of it?

I believe it is just my bad translation :wink:
It’s probably “pollution tax”.
I don’t really know what the plate fees refer to. Like a right to rent the plate number for a year probably.

Edit: Road tax talk carried on HERE

[quote=“Sly”]Dunno if you heard…

The July 1st, 2007 is only an estimated date that this law will go into effect that makes motorcycles >550cc equivalent to cars. The allowance to go on highways is still supposed to happen around two years later, and the CC restriction of 1200cc is still under debate. Supposedly the driving force behind this restriction is the fact the most older police motorcycles are 1150cc, and by placing the limit above 1200cc, it gives them an excuse to demand all new bikes.

and who said they can’t be witty :smiley: if i’d be them i would do it the same way.
but aside from that the whole restriction idea is for the bin. really. we should invite those legislators to one of our ride-outs and let them see real bikes in real life - would be a first-timer for many of them i guess.

mmm…that’s the official statement:

‘The Road Traffic Management and Punishment Law was revised and passed at the Legislative Yuan of Taiwan goverment allowing riders of motorcycles with an engine size of 550cc or above to ride their machines on the nation’s expressways, provincial highways and regular roads.’
‘The revision requires the government to finish amending all the relevant regulations and promulgate the new policy within six months.’

It passed in Jan 15. + 6 month…
I got the 1200cc form an imoprter, friend of the guy pushing for the law to change. It’s definitely not set but I think more than highly probable !

Anyway there are no other choices other than wait and see :slight_smile: Not really important.

sulavaca: Merged from original title “End of Year, 550cc+ Can Go On Freeway”

Yes… you read that right! The Ministry of Transportation will allow 550cc motorbikes to enter freeways (kuai su gong lu, right?).

Here is the article in Chinese: tw.news.yahoo.com/article/url/d/ … /cfk7.html

Now, anyone have one for sale around October, November…?

no, but if I’m lucky I will be getting one around that time or before :smiley:

[quote=“shawn_c”]

Yes… you read that right! The Ministry of Transportation will allow 550cc motorbikes to enter freeways (kuai su gong lu, right?).[/quote]

Oops, don’t think so…

Kuai su dow lu=expressway

Gau su gong lu=freeway

Kuai su gong lu=(WTF is this?)

[quote=“MJB”]
Kuai su dow lu=expressway
Kuai su gong lu=(WTF is this?)[/quote]
The same in green…

But what puzzles me: What is so different about a 600cc bike turning left compared to a bike with 500cc turning left? I doubt that anyone can give me a satisfying answer to this.

But I also have yet to understand what is so dangerous about a 50cc scooter turning left in one turn. I’m still waiting for explosions, floodings, locusts or economic downturns to happen in the aftermath of such an event.

And how would they be able to tell the difference between let’s say a XVS650 and a DS4? These restrictions sound pretty illogical (OK, nothing new with that.) and I think they will soon be “softened” and then probably fall completely. Hell, I turn left directly most of the time, and I’m just riding a white-plated Venox.

But I display my intention to do so, queue with the cars (Just as I would do in most other countries on this planet.), and most car drivers don’t mind. Not even the police here in Jiayi says a word when I do that, sometimes right in front of them. What would they want to complain about? That I switched on the indicator, while the car in front of me did not? That I queued in the correct lane, while the car on my right did not? So they get the guys without a helmet instead…

It may take two or three more years, but once they allow bikes onto the roads previously tabu, as long as there were no “famous” (media) accidents involving bikes on the freeway and not too many incidents of “too small” bikes taking the freeway (So that they might get the idea to ban bikes there again…), the restrictions should soon be gone…

When you have a left turn phase the cars from each direction pass pretty close to each other. Most scooters drive on the outside of the lanes and would therefore turn on the outside of the cars. I’m guessing if you had a bunch of scooters from both directions doing that at once they would all plow into each other every single time.

I’d imagine the point of the high CC limit is just to keep down the number of people doing it.