Big bikes, loan quests and comments

[quote=“MJB”]If anyone’s got opinions to pipe in on what other goodies I need, then please…No matter how obvious. [/quote]Spare set of keys for your buddy redwagon, duh!

:wink:

Congratulations, hope you enjoy your new toy!

be very wary of a lid that is a little tight on the forehead… I bought a HJC lid for in town use and in the store it was perfect fit, but with a bit of pressure on the upper forehead… I did everything I could think of, massaging the foam to “break it in” and in the end compressing the polystyrene under layer a bit, but to this day it’s still bugs me every time I use it… as rule of thumb for buying gear, whatever it feels like in the store will me magnified 10 times once you’re using it on the road… if it feels great in the store, it’ll be even better in daily use, a little niggle though will be huge PITA in time…

I’m sure everyone already knows this but the perfect fitting lid will be snug as a bug when new in the store and when you grab it and twist side to side, your scalp/cheeks should move with the helmet a little, there should be no slip and sliding going on at all… leave the lid on a minute of two and if there are specific noticeable pressure points, be very cautious about getting it… and if you’re going to scrimp a little on your gear budget, don’t do it on the helmet, get the best you can possibly afford…

Otherwise get a good mesh jacket, that fits well enough to hope the armour will not just rotate away from impact points in a crash… I’ve always used Dainese for almost all my biking gear, they are pricey but excellent quality, fit and design, there are other good brands, but not always easy to get in TW…

Gloves… goes without saying, I’d get some semi mesh breathable summer items for now… NT$1500 - NT$2500 will net you decent specimens from Alpinestars/Dainese…

Back protector… I don’t leave home without one… lateral spinal impacts are one of the biggest causes of serious injuries in bike crashes… you can break your leg and it’ll heal, but vertebrae are fragile… again Dainese make the best ones… they have stand alone back protectors, combo vests, and combo jackets… these combo jackets are quiet popular in TW although many people get it wrong and wear the armour jacket on the outside over a T-shirt… seen people with some very interesting sun burn patterns after a long summer road trip… :laughing: if you’re getting a good mesh jacket you won’t need the combo armour jacket and vice versa…

Boots… foot injuries are very common in bike crashes and can be serious, good boots are your friend… waterproof/goretex is great, but hard to come by in road boots… look for good ankle and rear heel protection and twist / over extension support…

Pants… tricky because knee/leg injuries are very common in bike crashes, but it’s hard to find a good compromise in Taiwan’s summer… Mesh pants work great to keep you cool, but obviously don’t do abrasion resistance like leather… also armour in mesh gear is lighter and more likely to move on impact, but in TW we really have no choice… leathers in summer = heatstroke… since it’s summer now I’d go with the coolest option you feel secure in… you can even get away with jeans in a pinch, but they are only slightly better than nothing in a crash… hockey style kneepads can get sweaty and tedious in the heat and in a crash are very likely to just rotate around your knee and do nothing, especially if you wear them on the outside as many local teamsters seem to… Now that it

Well, no wonder the heat bothers you so much. Your choice in clothes are ridiculous. I wear swimming briefs…with open toe sandals, a bicycle helmet (best for ventilation), mesh see through shirt, and those white gloves that mechanics use with the fingers cut off. This is Taiwan man! You need to adapt.

so that was you I saw the other night… :smiley:

Plasmatron, what do you think of MX pants for street use? They don’t have much in the way of hard shell protection, but they have something to slide on and a little padding in the knees, thighs and hips.
I don’t wear mine because they are so loud :blush: , but I bet they’d be better than jeans in a slide and they’re much cooler…

[quote=“redwagon”]…I bet they’d be better than jeans in a slide and they’re much cooler…[/quote]Have you heard of “Draggin’ Jeans”? They’re Kevlar reinforced and the manufacturers pull stunts like dragging someone along behind a car to show that the jeans work.

There are Draggin’ Jeans available in Australia and in the US and I think the product and pricing is slightly different between the two countries, though I can’t remember in what way.

[quote=“redwagon”]Plasmatron, what do you think of MX pants for street use? They don’t have much in the way of hard shell protection, but they have something to slide on and a little padding in the knees, thighs and hips.
I don’t wear mine because they are so loud :blush: , but I bet they’d be better than jeans in a slide and they’re much cooler…[/quote]

I’ve been tempted for ages to try them… I’m almost sure that MX gear is the best compromise for Taiwan summer… the only downside it that as you say the armour is all strap on stuff that goes underneath which could get sticky and hot quickly… that said the only reason I didn’t order up a pair of Fox MX pants for this summer was that at the last minute I found my old Alpinestars mesh pants… MX pants would be better than jeans padding wise, but I’m not sure they’re designed to withstand much asphalt abrasion… loud is fine(ish) at least they aren’t black like most summer mesh gear… :loco:

I tried on a pair of those Draggin jeans in Europe (I think I’ve seen them in TW too), but decided against them, the size and price were a bit off… they’re just industrial denim with a layer of kevlar fabric in the knees and hips along with some minimal padding… much better than normal jeans for sure, but you can get still get pretty badly road rashed without the fabric wearing through… good everyday bike wear, but not comprehensive protection…

[quote=“plasmatron”]at least they aren’t black like most summer mesh gear… :loco:[/quote]Heh heh. I was lmao about that crack, until I realized that I always used to buy black riding gear. Even when other colors were available. :blush: :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s because as far as riding gear is concerned…white stays white for about all of 10 minutes use. I have some leather riding gloves…and the white changed to dark grey…the first time I wore them.

MJB,

How hard was it to get Mrs. MJB’s blessings for your new toy?

[quote=“Mordeth”]I have some leather riding gloves…and the white changed to dark grey…the first time I wore them.[/quote]… and even dark grey would have a slightly higher albedo than black eh?

absolutely… quite a bit higher I reckon…

Somehow I unavoidably became pitch black boy, at least as far as summer kit goes… madness …:noway:

[quote=“Durins Bane”]MJB,

How hard was it to get Mrs. MJB’s blessings for your new toy?[/quote]
Easy. He’s always wanted to sleep in the outhouse.

[quote=“sandman”][quote=“Durins Bane”]MJB,

Easy. He’s always wanted to sleep in the outhouse.[/quote]

Now, that’s funny! :laughing:

Do you remember a very old simpsons episode where Bart pleads with Homer until he gives in?

Can I ? Can I? CanI? Can I? Can I? Can I? Can I ? Can I? CanI? Can I? Can I? Can I? Can I ? Can I? CanI? Can I? Can I? Can I? Can I ? Can I? CanI? Can I? Can I? Can I?Can I ? Can I? CanI? Can I? Can I? Can I? Can I ? Can I? CanI? Can I? Can I? Can I? Can I ? Can I? CanI? Can I? Can I? Can I? Can I ? Can I? CanI? Can I? Can I? Can I?Can I ? Can I? CanI? Can I? Can I? Can I? Can I ? Can I? CanI? Can I? Can I? Can I? Can I ? Can I? CanI? Can I? Can I? Can I? Can I ? Can I? CanI? Can I? Can I? Can I?Can I ? Can I? CanI? Can I? Can I? Can I? Can I ? Can I? CanI? Can I? Can I? Can I? Can I ? Can I? CanI? Can I? Can I? Can I? Can I ? Can I? CanI? Can I? Can I? Can I?
:homer:

Something like that :smiley:

It’s sitting in my driveway :sunglasses:

[quote=“MJB”]

It’s sitting in my driveway :sunglasses:[/quote]

I’m glad you made it home alive. Friday night isn’t the best time for a first ride.

It’s 6 a.m. now and I’m getting ready to head out on mine.

Thats about where i am right now
I guess the simpsons thing might work, but i think my wife is a bit too stuborn for that. What are the “logical” reasons to get rid of my scooter and upgrade. Ive got to get some quality excuses aside from “The scooter doesnt get my fat @$$ moving fast enough”

[quote=“DtRWoS”][quote=“Durins Bane”]MJB,

Thats about where I am right now
I guess the simpsons thing might work, but I think my wife is a bit too stuborn for that. What are the “logical” reasons to get rid of my scooter and upgrade. I’ve got to get some quality excuses aside from “The scooter doesnt get my fat @$$ moving fast enough”[/quote]
OK. This is what’s working for me right now, but be warned, it’s a slow process. You have to be late home at least three nights a week. No more, or she’ll begin to suspect. No warning phonecalls until the very last minute. Each time you call, you’re at the mechanics getting a something or other done. Each time it needs to cost between NT$500 and a grand or so. Every week or two, you need a heavier bit of work done – say NT$3,000.
This will generate lots and lots of questions, to which the response is: “sweetie, the bike’s getting on in years and things are just starting to wear out faster. This is what happens to machinery after a certain time. It’s a pain to keep on breaking down like this and having to get these small emergency fixes, but I’m just having to get used to it. Think yourself lucky – it’s not YOU who has to push your bike 2 km to the shop twice a week. Sorry I missed our date but how the hell d’you think I like it?”

I’m hoping that this will eventually be succesful. I’ll let you know.

[quote=“sandman”][quote=“DtRWoS”][quote=“Durins Bane”]MJB,

Thats about where I am right now
I guess the simpsons thing might work, but I think my wife is a bit too stuborn for that. What are the “logical” reasons to get rid of my scooter and upgrade. I’ve got to get some quality excuses aside from “The scooter doesnt get my fat @$$ moving fast enough”[/quote]
OK. This is what’s working for me right now, but be warned, it’s a slow process. You have to be late home at least three nights a week. No more, or she’ll begin to suspect. No warning phonecalls until the very last minute. Each time you call, you’re at the mechanics getting a something or other done. Each time it needs to cost between NT$500 and a grand or so. Every week or two, you need a heavier bit of work done – say NT$3,000.
This will generate lots and lots of questions, to which the response is: “sweetie, the bike’s getting on in years and things are just starting to wear out faster. This is what happens to machinery after a certain time. It’s a pain to keep on breaking down like this and having to get these small emergency fixes, but I’m just having to get used to it. Think yourself lucky – it’s not YOU who has to push your bike 2 km to the shop twice a week. Sorry I missed our date but how the hell d’you think I like it?”

I’m hoping that this will eventually be succesful. I’ll let you know.[/quote]

I would also suggest that you bring trinkets home for the Mrs. once a week or so. “Sugar Honey, I was browsing in the Victoria’s Secrets store and I saw something that you might like and so I picked up for you.”

Chicks dig shit like that.

[quote=“sandman”]Each time you call, you’re at the mechanics getting a something or other done. Each time it needs to cost between NT$500 and a grand or so. Every week or two, you need a heavier bit of work done – say NT$3,000.[/quote]This is the ideal time to use the word “plasmatron”. Even Plasmatron himself doesn’t really know what one is, so you can be sure that your wife won’t. If your multivator needs a new plasmatron it will cost at least 4000NT.

As for practical reasons, DtRWoS, there aren’t any really. I suppose a big bike’s a bit safer in theory, as long as you don’t ride it like a maniac. But apart from that, nothing. A scooter’s cheaper, more convenient, more weatherproof and generally has more storage space.

But DB’s trinket suggestion sounds like an excellent one.