Big black stray dog around our house

Next door has a 3yr old male labrador. Suddenly, Friday, a large black dog showed up outside our house and has taken a real interest in getting into their garden. No idea why, as both dogs are male. The easiest way that he found was through our garden. We’ve not had chance to fix all the fence holes, and he’s been in and out of our garden the last 3 days. He’s collared but no name tag and isn’t instantly aggressive, but does seem nervous around people and has bit out defensively at me twice already. He’s quite powerful, looks almost half rottweiler.

I fed him tonight - it’s pouring down out there and he’s really hungry. He’s now prowling on our porch.

What are my options? He doesn’t seem to have a home (any more?), and I suspect it’s unlikely he’s chipped.
We’re in Hualien.

Give him some food and water.

Oops sorry you already did that. What advice are you looking for?

Well was hoping there might be a rescue centre in the county.
He’s now left the porch, but almost certain he’ll return, now he’s been fed.

I suppose we just have to re-fence the whole front, and try and keep him out of the garden.

You’ll laugh, but it works, at least until it rains: pee on the fenceposts/perimeter. More is better. Make sure to avoid plants though - it’ll probably kill them.

Don’t ask me how I know this.

To reinforce the message, put his food/water bowl outside of your “territory”. I would try not to feed him too much though - you’ll end up spending a fortune on dog food (unless you’re giving him kitchen scraps) and he’ll stop bothering to hunt.

[quote=“finley”]You’ll laugh, but it works, at least until it rains: pee on the fenceposts/perimeter. More is better. Make sure to avoid plants though - it’ll probably kill them.

To reinforce the message, put his food/water bowl outside of your “territory”. I would try not to feed him too much though - you’ll end up spending a fortune on dog food (unless you’re giving him kitchen scraps) and he’ll stop bothering to hunt.[/quote]

He was in the garden this morning.

I did the food bowl outside the ‘territory’ this time, thought of that overnight. Darn silly to feed him on the porch.

As for urination, I’m a big advocate of peeing outside - but the first one of the morning would be the best, stronger scent and all that. But that means I’d have to do it in front of the neighbours’ kids getting ready for school. So I’ll have to pee inside the house, into a container, and then head out to water the posts. It sounds fairly sensible though - I’ve already spotted him elsewhere on the street, marking his patch.

[quote=“Nuit”][quote=“finley”]You’ll laugh, but it works, at least until it rains: pee on the fenceposts/perimeter. More is better. Make sure to avoid plants though - it’ll probably kill them.

To reinforce the message, put his food/water bowl outside of your “territory”. I would try not to feed him too much though - you’ll end up spending a fortune on dog food (unless you’re giving him kitchen scraps) and he’ll stop bothering to hunt.[/quote]

He was in the garden this morning.

I did the food bowl outside the ‘territory’ this time, thought of that overnight. Darn silly to feed him on the porch.

As for urination, I’m a big advocate of peeing outside - but the first one of the morning would be the best, stronger scent and all that. But that means I’d have to do it in front of the neighbours’ kids getting ready for school. So I’ll have to pee inside the house, into a container, and then head out to water the posts. It sounds fairly sensible though - I’ve already spotted him elsewhere on the street, marking his patch.[/quote]

How did this work out for you? There are loads of strays around my house so if a bit of pee would drive them away I would be more than happy to pee in a bottle and spread it around.

Thanks

I never got the chance, as our neighbour (the lab owner) enticed him into her car with food, then drove him 10k away and gave him a final bag of biscuits. When he looked up after finishing those, she was gone. Hard world. Hope it worked out Ok for him.

So you’ll have to be the guinea-pig with the pee thing :smiley:.

[quote=“Nuit”]I never got the chance, as our neighbour (the lab owner) enticed him into her car with food, then drove him 10k away and gave him a final bag of biscuits. When he looked up after finishing those, she was gone. Hard world. Hope it worked out Ok for him.

So you’ll have to be the guinea-pig with the pee thing :smiley:.[/quote]

Is that legal?

Well, I don’t think it’s illegal. You’re just moving the problem onto someone else’s patch.
Of course, you’re also opening the way for other stray dogs to move in to the spot you’ve just cleared around your own place.

[quote=“Milkybar_Kid”][quote=“Nuit”]I never got the chance, as our neighbour (the lab owner) enticed him into her car with food, then drove him 10k away and gave him a final bag of biscuits. When he looked up after finishing those, she was gone. Hard world. Hope it worked out Ok for him.

So you’ll have to be the guinea-pig with the pee thing :smiley:.[/quote]

Is that legal?[/quote]

Wow - I am so sorry, I completely misinterpreted your meaning of the phrase “she was gone. Hard world.” I thought that the dog had come to a much grizzlier ending, how screwed up is my mind? :doh:

Pretty screwed :slight_smile:.

And I don’t think my neighbour is capable of that.