Big plastic airtight containers

You need box that is absolutely airtight and rigid if you are going to vacuum seal it. Like glass or something. The problem with using vacuum bags is there are sharp things on circuit boards that will punch holes in the vacuum bag, so that won’t work.

:thinking: my experience tells me it will be ok. The vacuum bags can be purchased in different strengths and I’m sure the op would be bright enough to Buy the tough vacuum bags.

Well… I don’t really want something that permanent. I do use them and do testing. Not daily, but a permanent one-use solution isn’t practical.

No one’s talking about evacuating the entire box (obviously…). With vacuum bags you’d just need to wrap any sharp components and throw in some desiccant sachets, as already discussed.

Or fill the bag with an inert gas like argon or nitrogen.

Yeah, sure. Let me pop on over to Carrefour and pick up a few tanks.

1 Like

Practical as always, TL. Maybe Marco can just fill the entire room/apartment with nitrogen, thus negating the need for airtight containers at all.

2 Likes

Includes your choice of gases (oxygen, argon, nitrogen, or carbon dioxide)

I’ll pass on that one. No space for that.

You dont need to vaccum seal. It will increase puncture risk. Just an impulse sealer. Or ziplock and tape is actully probably decent enough. Lass jars with rubber air locks are cheap as well. Thats probably as practical as you can expect without going full prepper on those components.

https://www.trplus.com.tw/p/014298072?assignSite=TLW&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI67-xx8vB_gIVitGWCh2F9gIaEAQYASABEgIGg_D_BwE

This is what I am looking for.

Depending on your air tight needs. we have used various similar tubs as portable glove boxes for tissue cultures over the years and I must emphasize, they are not airtight. they work alright for storage, but we also used them for grain storage and the beetle and moth species decided they weren’t secure either :joy: granted, not the brand in the link. but be aware. probably perfect for electronics and other non edible things though!

They might be fine for computer part storage, if they are well sealed and absolutely does not allow any air through. If you have lots and lots of stuff consider dedicating a spare room, seal it up the best you can, a windowless room being best for this, and place a dehumidifier inside, and hook up the water drop with a drain hose so it does not shut down at all (which allows humidity to rise). The dehumidifier will run continuously. This should maintain a small room at about 45 percent humidity.

Yes this will use electricity but if you got lots of stuff this is a good way to ensure the part absolutely will not get damp and therefore corrode.

Otherwise you will need to place each component inside smaller rigid plastic container, making sure it’s bone dry, then place the part in this container, and purge all the air inside with nitrogen or argon, then sealing it up.

Failing that, buy dry boxes for storing photography equipment and store your stuff inside.

I maintain a dry cabinet at my shop for the purpose of assembling acoustic guitars. They should be assembled in a 45 percent humidity and the cabinet will stay that way or about 10 percent below. Otherwise I put it in power save mode when not actively trying to glue stuff together, and it keeps it at around 60 percent. So it either runs continuously and gets it fairly dry, or in power mode it just keeps it from getting too damp.

How you want to do it is up to you. I recommend a dehumidifier that has a humidity level adjustment to where the machine will try to maintain a certain humidity level so you can get the humidity you feel is acceptable without making the room too hot or burning up too much electricity. Sealing the room as good as you can will save electricity.

If you absolutely want to keep your stuff dry you should have active control over the humidity level, because you’ll be surprised just how permeable some containers are even when sealed shut.