Bigger 'bikes' at last

Anybody see the back page of the China Post? You can see none other than Poagao, on the extreme left of the photo of the Power Rangers, just beside the headline “Taichung mother mistakenly squeezes glue into son’s ear.”

Coincidence? You be the judge!

Well, how was I supposed to know the glue would seep into his brain?

Has anyone read the Taipei Times’ diatribe against bigger bikes in today’s issue?

My favorite bits:

“The young will do everything in their power to acquire the funds to buy, rebuild or upgrade their motorcycles, including working long hours or committing crimes.”

Working long hours? Oh, NO!

“The relentless marketing by motorcycle dealers and their targeting of the young and of the latter’s propensity to challenge authority, seek attention and succumb to hero worship, will not only create another popular way of showing off, but at the same time it will cause the young to become intoxicated, confused and lost.”

What relentless marketing? The only campaign I’ve seen is the lame-ass one our company came up with, which consists of one poster.

“Apart from the test required to obtain a driving license, shouldn’t we also test maturity and knowledge of life, leisure and the law?”

Yeah, we need a test for knowledge of leisure.

quote:
Originally posted by Poagao: "The young will do everything in their power to acquire the funds to buy, rebuild or upgrade their motorcycles, including working long hours or committing crimes."
Poagao, that must be a typo, instead of "motorcycles" it should read "cell phones". But the article is a bit late...

quote[quote]"The relentless marketing by motorcycle dealers and their targeting of the young and of the [/quote]
Hmm, I’m probably not that young any more, but I noticed my dealer is smiling (or is it grinning?) at me each time I get there. After I read the above, I’m sure he’s using subliminal methods to invade my brain and to force me to buy at least one of the large bikes I haven’t seen so far at his garage…

quote[quote]create another popular way of showing off, but at the same time it will cause the young to become intoxicated, confused and lost."[/quote]
Intoxicated, confused, lost? Yes, that must be an article about traffic in Taiwan! So what are they going to do about? Change the rules?

quote[quote]“Apart from the test required to obtain a driving license, shouldn’t we also test maturity and knowledge of life, leisure and the law?”[/quote]
Actually, I think they should add much more questions like these:

Honking the horn unnecessarily, or making other unnecessary noises, is unethical behavior. Y/N

When giving the right of the way,use common courtesy.Courtesy is always the best virtue. Y/N

To be clean and well dressed is a common courtesy while driving. Y/N

IMHO, the above questions are of extreme value to test someone’s ability to ride a motorcycle…

PS: Poagao, you didn’t mention the article was written by a professor from Culture University - that would have explained a lot…

I have a great idea for a Website:

www.BUG-SPLAT.com.tw

Take those young guys who slouch on their souped-up 50cc scooters, with their half-helmets cocked back far enough that it totally negates any idea of enhancing safety–cigarette dangling from their mouths . . .

Now–imagine them on a 750 Ninja instead. Sound scary? These guys have greater bug-splat potential than anything I’ve ever seen back home.

If I can find a way to get the accident photos of these guys plastered like bugs against the assorted structures that get in their way (buildings, support columns, cars, etc) I believe they could make a great sort of pop-art commentary on modern Taiwan.

Bug-Splat.com could serve as a sort of Rorshcach Test for each viewer: Web visitors could judge their appreciation of Taiwan’s new modern art format by viewing the creative ways that these young riders rearrange their limbs, brains, and other body parts with the environment that they’ve crashed into.

Any VC people want to get involved in this? I promise we’ll be going IPO any day on this one . . .

Talking about bugs: How do you recognise a friendly motorcyclist? From the bugs between his teeth…

whats the deal on getting a liscense for a big bike? must i have an international drivers liscense first?

OK Guys, has anybody got a list of big bile shops that they would be willing to share with the rest of us.

Also a question, for many years big bikes have been imported into Taiwan although not registered etc. Are these bike owners now going to be allowed to register the bikes or not ?

Take a look at the corner of Pa Te Road and Chien Kuo, just beyond the stone market…

Yenping Road, between Minchuan and points northward, has a lot of bike shops, the greatest concentration in Taipei, with more variety of new and used bikes than anywhere else… You can find a bargain on any kind of bike there that you want… But bargain hard, the shops make easy profits from those bikes…

Re: NT$180,000 for a 250cc Kymco Venox

I spoke to a (usually) reliable friend yesterday, whose friend is the local rep/distributor for Triumph. According to him, an 800cc Triumph something like this will be selling in Taiwan for NT$300,000.

Originally posted by Poagao:

quote:
"Apart from the test required to obtain a driving license, shouldn't we also test maturity and knowledge of life, leisure and the law?"

Yeah, we need a test for knowledge of leisure.

I sorta like the idea of making the prospective members of the Legislative Yuan pass a test of maturity and knowledge of life and the law. “Don’t legislate angry.”

Originally posted by Nian Hua:

quote[quote]OK Guys, has anybody got a list of big bile shops that they would be willing to share with the rest of us.[/quote] Maybe you could check with Jolie, who always seems to have more than enough bile. [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Blah blah blah, power between your legs and all that. Anyone think this photo is faked? Warning: You’ll need a stiff drink and a few deep breaths before looking at this.

Not for the faint-hearted

Ancient photo. Not a motorcycle accident (but I considered – and rejected – the idea of posting that link).

Its actually a pic of some drunk guy who decided it would be a wizard wheeze to bite down on a blasting cap.

He lived, believe it or not.

damn! so that photo is real?!

that looks like Beetlejuice stuff. that is truly disturbing.

i’m surprised his tongue looks so unscathed, too.

Looks like he tried to top himself with a shotgun but ended up bottoming himself instead. Still, if anyone needs any advice on drinking straws, he’ll be the man…

His tongue survived because the blast blew his cheeks out, went up his nose and into his sinuses, blowing the upper part of his face outward.

Yummy. I’m thinking of having barbecue tonight.