Bike child seat

Hi,

i would love some advice for buying a child seat for my giant roam 2.

i went to the giant store in tianmu, but they only had imported japanese babyseats costing more than my bike itself.

i would prefer one back-mounted on the seatpost, but the giant d-fuse oval seatpost probably is not suited for this?

so only way would be to add a bike rack and then depending if i ride alone or with our child to fix the babyseat on the bike rack.

i thought going to a big store (western style), where they have lots of options would be best. but only decathlon comes to mind and they don’t import child seats.
so I went to some smaller bike shops near beitou/shilin instead, but couldn’t find anything i liked (eg. no stock, flimsy/dangerous fixation, etc.)

any recommendations?

We bought a bike trailer (Burley Bee). It has its advantages and disadvantages over a seat. I like the trailer concept more.

Edit: ask in the cycling forum.

Hi,

Thx, for the suggestions.
I’ll maybe start a new topic in the bike forum.

I also thought about about a trailer.
But there was some terrible accident a few years ago in Austria, where a car overlooked the trailer…
And with taiwanese traffic i rather don’t dare.

1 Like

i saw a few parents take their kids in a tricycle (cargo bike) with the box in the front. it gives you more stability and visibility what the kids are doing.
they are very expensive though, 50K and up…

How old is your child?

If under than 3, you can think about a Bobike front seat:
https://bobike.com/en/product/cat/frontseats/

It attaches to your bike’s handle bar, and it’s not hard to get used to it.

I know it’s not what you initially wanted, but if you can’t fin anything else…

1 Like

I don’t remember how much it cost but it wasn’t very much. This was bought at a giant store. It held up very well for my daughter. Never doubted its safety. Just be sure the top washers going through the seat are properly fitted. Make sure the center of gravity is right on top of the axle. I had this woman’s style bike because putting the leg over the man type bike frame means I would need to lean the bike so I could mount it. not safe at all. The setup in the photo allows me to seat the baby and easily get on and off the bike. This was the safest setup I could come up with. Sure, I looked like a clown but baby was safe. Baby rides her own bike now and I just bought the Giant ATX 810. The photo shows the towing arrangement when I would take her bike to the school bus stop each day so she could ride her own bike home.

3 Likes

Seems like with a rack on the back you could use this same type seat on your bike. I just worry about you getting your leg over the crotch bar while balancing the baby on the back. I sure wanted to have a sexy bike for all of those years but the lady bike was the safest and most convenient way to move my daughter around. The lady at the bike shop refused to put a poodle basket on my sexy new Giant. Btich

thanks for the advice,

Actually I thought about getting my leg over the bar, but didn’t try it.
I will test this later if i can do this safely. maybe a handlebar mounted seat is then the better option anyways…