Bike security while tootling around TW?

I’d like to ride around Taiwan in no particular hurry. Should I worry about a non-flashy touring bike being stolen? And particularly: are hotels likely to provide somewhere secure to keep a bike? Thanks!

Bikes and umbrellas seem to be the only thing Taiwanese thieves are willing to steal for some reason. Risk is probably 100x lower than any US city, but still there. If it’s locked up in front of a store with a CCTV it’s likely fine.

3 Likes

Umbrella gets lost all the time… and there’s often bins at the MRT station full of umbrellas they reclaim, that gets put there for use in case it rains.

You’ll be fine. Taiwan is typically very safe and theft is low. We have flashy bikes parked outside convenient stores all the time and never get stolen.

2 Likes

My friend had a very nice bike stolen in Taipei. Safer to keep it locked and you can ask the hotel about storage - may be the same place they keep luggage.

1 Like

Thank you for the replies - sounds like it’s certainly not risk-free but I shouldn’t have to worry too much if I’m fairly sensible.

1 Like