Bike Trials or Mountain Bike Community in Taipei?

Hi all,

Been looking into getting more healthy activities while I spend my time in Taipei. Been searching the interwebs to see if I can find any of bike trials or mountain bike communities in Taipei, but coming up a bit short. I even visited a few local mtn bike shop here and they told me I’d have to leave Taipei to even do some remote mountain biking.

I used to ride a bit of trials back in the day (pre Danny MacAskill era…more Ryan Leech era.) so figured maybe there’s a community out there. Shooting my luck out into the internet!

But maybe skateboarding is more of a thing now? hahaha

I know Alan’s mountain bike workshop in Gongguan used to organize weekly group rides to Maokong every Saturday. Not sure if they still do.

1 Like

Trails, you mean trails.

I gotta mean BMX circuit just been built over the river from me. Might have to buy me a BMX.

It’s mostly true, but I still see some people on MTBs. The problem with Taipei is that most trails are: too steep, too many stairs, not natural surfaces, crowded, too far away from each other, too short and/or you need to do a lot of km on tarmac to get to them. Forget about XC.

I’ve seen MTBs in the Junjianyan 軍艦岩 area in Beitou. Not a long time ago in the Erziping Visitor Center heading towards Erziping trail and here and there occasionally.

Honestly, you’re better off with a road/gravel bike. I don’t see how MTB can be viable in Taipei without a vehicle and chofer to drive you to the few trails, but I’ve seen more riders since e-MTBs are a thing.

1 Like

In my younger days (before there was gravel bike), I rode to all the Taipei trails on my heavy MTB: Maokong, Battleship Rock, and the legendary Wuzhishan, aka ski lift. Lots of fun if you have strong legs to go up those hills.

Yeah, I actually went to go check on Alan’s shop. He still gives tours/group rides for about 3000-4000. You leave Taipei for sure. Something I am considering.

No, I actually mean Trials, not trails. Refer to vid here if you wanna learn about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIBldkWO9a4

Not sure if you’re the right company to chill with if I gotta buy you a bike everytime. :thinking:

@Membrillo Thanks for the tips. Yeah, the more and more I read, it definitely sounds a bit 麻煩 to get into mtn biking here. All good. Always down to learn something new.

@Incubus lol. yeah, I sense this is why e-bikes are becoming more popular. I actually saw some pics of Wuzhishan on Trail Forks - def looks rideable but also doesn’t seem like its its maintained or people do it often. Appreciate the feedback.

1 Like

I had a friend here that was really into it but lived in the mountains outside of Taipei. Where I’m from there are mountain bike trails everywhere but gave it up here. I’ll stick to skateboarding.

I think the best places for MTB in Taiwan are the forest roads 林道. At least for the MTB I would dare to do. I’m too old and too clumsy for downhill and enduro. In Wulai there’s 內洞林道 and 桶後林道.

Many of these 林道 are good enough for a gravel bike or even a road bike with wide tires (some of them have concrete surface). And both options are also better to ride to the entrance.

1 Like

Yeah there’s not a big scene here for that. Not sure why…

Can I get a BMX with 26 inch wheels please?

Any groups/classes where I can join and learn? Appreciate the feedback.