Billy Graham at 87 - Part 1

[quote=“Jaboney”]Hey bismarck, not to interject in your theology, but I haven’t been following this one and as a few posters have found yours informative there’s a couple of points I’d like to lob back at you for consideration.

Hi Jaboney,

I’ve got a real shocker for you. Christians believe the Bible was inspired by God due to their faith.

Regarding dietary laws, Jesus Himself rebelled against the Old Testament’s strict dietary and cleanliness laws. One of the reasons the Sanhedrin hated Him was because He would not observe all of the laws. Likewise, various verses in the New Testament indicate that circumcision is not required to be a Christian. There’s certainly nothing wrong with obeying the dietary and purification laws of the Old Testament, but it isn’t necessary. Believing in Jesus as the Son of God and Savior of the world, on the other hand, is necessary.

[quote=“bismarck”]
The most common English translation is the King James bible. This book was translated in 1611 by command of King James I. He commanded it be strictly translated from the original texts without corruption. The Old testament being taken from the Torah for the most part.[/quote]
This view seems biased and not entirely historically accurate. I recommend “The Bible as Literature” for a fairly objective account of the origins of the Bible. Specifically, the above sentences appear intended to attribute some authority to the KJV in the phrases “the original texts” (there are many sets, not THE set) and “he commanded it” (as if to say He commanded it). Also contrast the statement “He commanded it be strictly translated from the original texts without corruption” with “At least 80% of the King James New Testament is unaltered from Tyndale’s translation.”

"Until The translation of the King James Version (KJV), an English translation of the Bible, commissioned for the benefit of the Church of England at the behest of King James I of England, Translation of the Holy Scriptures into the English language had been a crime punishable by death.

The New Testament of the King James Version was translated from the Majority Text (also called the Received Text or Textus Receptus). It is called this because the majority of extant (existing) texts (well over 5000) are in agreement with it.

The Old Testament of the King James Version is translated from the Ben Chayyim Masoretic Hebrew Text. Abraham Ben Chayyim was a Masoretic scribe and a born again Jewish Rabbi.

Modern English Bibles such as the New American Standard Bible and the English Standard Version derive their authority from a completely different set of N.T. manuscripts (Egyptian Minority Texts as apposed to the Byzantine Majority Texts).

Though often referred to as the Authorised Version (AV), the only active part King James took in the translation was lifting the criminal (death) penalty attached to its translation and setting very reasonable guidelines for the translation process (such as prohibiting partisan scholarship and footnotes).

The name Authorised Version was particularly used in the United Kingdom, where the name King James Version was known only as “what the Americans call it” until the AV’s recent decline in popularity in its homeland.

[cribbed from wikipedia, which if you don’t like it, go in and change it]

I edited your post a little to highlight the gist of it. Isn’t that just picking and choosing what parts of the Bible you like, and discarding the rest? The Old Testament is as valid and worthy as the New Testament, right?

That is a serious difficulty for Christian theology, reconciling those two documents. More than a few Christians have struggled with how to reconcile the loving, just God of the New Testament, with the angry, genocidal maniac (let’s not mince words, that’s exactly what the ancient Jehovah as portrayed in the Old Testament was - a murderous monster, a racist who only cared about the Jews and killed whatever neighboring tribes got in the Jews’ way). If God is, as is claimed, all-good and all-powerful, then he always should have been all-wise and all-good…God doesn’t just “evolve” from a wrathful Jehovah to a turn-the-other-cheek Christ. A God who has to rely on fear, bullying, intimidation, and slaughtering others as “examples” is not a God that I feel is worthy of my worship.

One explanation I’ve heard is that somehow the new covenant Jesus made with humanity somehow wipes out and cleans the slate, making the Old Testament more or less irrelevant, or at least a lot less important than the New Testament. I’m not sure if I buy that argument. However, while there is a lot of wisdom and guidance to be found in Jesus’ teachings, a lot of the Old Testament sits very uncomfortably with me, to put it mildly. And should sit uncomfortably with all believers in a just and loving God. How to reconcile the contradiction?

The contradictions fly thick and fast, collapsing the whole edifice to the point where you have to just shut your eyes tight and cling fast to your “faith.”

Only an emotionally/intellectually stunted human being could ever take religion seriously in the 21st century.

The contradictions fly thick and fast, collapsing the whole edifice to the point where you have to just shut your eyes tight and cling fast to your “faith.”

Only an emotionally/intellectually stunted human being could ever take religion seriously in the 21st century.[/quote]
You two guys need to get a room. You can construct an alter to your highly superior emotional and intellectual development.

A lot of interesting points have been made on this thread. I don’t really have time to address them all in detail, but I do want to share my viewpoint on many of them in brief.

What Makes a Christian
There seems to be a difference of opinion on this thread over what a Christian is. There have been some terms thrown around that attempt to redefine the word.

First, Christian was originally an epithet applied to believers by Romans and Jews to distinguish them from orthodox believers in Judaism. It came to represent people who believed the teachings of Christ. The distinction of believing in the divinity of Christ came later.

Believing that Christ is divine is only a requirement for being Christian if you believe that Christ taught that he was divine. Those that don’t believe he taught this are justified in calling themselves Christians as long as they believe his teachings.

The problem I see is that there are no direct writings from Jesus. How can you be a follower of what you cannot be sure he said? What we have from him are citiations and quotations from followers. These same followers also quote him as saying he will return. Some of these quotations are difficult to reconcile with the concept of a spiritual second coming and a non-divine Christ.

Here’s the dilemma: If you don’t accept the words of the disciples who are quoting Christ, you have discredited the authority of the very witnesses to the words you profess to have belief in. How can you be a Christian if there is doubt that what was said was of Christ? If you only believe in the idea of Christ I don’t think that counts as being Christian.

The term “post-modern” is a nice way to stylize the lack of belief in the truthfulness of much of scripture. I don’t think that’s an appropriate term since the majority of Christians don’t share this belief. It indicates a change in era rather than just a divergent way of thinking.

There is nothing really modern, or post-modern about this way of believing. It is simply unorthodox and liberal.

The Second Coming
There is an argument that Jesus did say what the apostles said and that he never really meant he would physically return to the world. The easiest way to make this argument is to toss out anything that disagrees with it as being made up after the fact.

The other thing to do is to say any sort of return was meant in a figurative way. There is no heaven. Heaven is here. That sort of thinking.

The problem is when you read the scriptures as a whole it is difficult to accept that interpretation. Which is why selective rejection of certain writings is so popular. What’s written doesn’t agree with what your interpretation? Well, it probably isn’t authentic then.

The Bible and Canon
Much has been said about the creation of the Bible from original records and how the Catholics picked and chose what they wanted in the books. But they didn’t really do a bad job. It was their later, non-scriptural doctrine, that was most heavily influenced by Greek philosophy and religious beliefs.

There were a lot of writings from a lot of prophets to chose from. However, there were a lot of forgeries and writings from people claiming to be inspired that were most likely not. Sorting this out was no simple task, and it is not likely that they managed to cut out all the bad without cutting out some authentic sources as well. But in the early formation of the church there were several camps and different ways of thinking. Each watched the other and was quick to cry foul. There was a lot of genuine scholarship being done, and it was impossible to introduce new beliefs into the canon. Everything had to come from Jewish writings up through the early Apostolic period.

There are scribal errors and translation errors. Perhaps even some outright contaminations from a scribe here or there. But, that will have to be the exception rather than the rule. The very nature of the work and the political climate of the early church would restrict poor scholarship or alteration. There were multiple copies, multiple sources, and changes to one text would likely be discovered. So, while some errors and changes have been made, they are not as rampant as some would suggest.

Starting a New Religion
When you start a new religion you shouldn’t do it because you want something that fits more in line with your personal desires. You should do it because you think you have found a way of believing that is closer to the truth than anything else out there.

The Early Church and Organization
The terms “early church” and Catholic church should not be synonymous. There was a church organization before the persecutions of the Romans and then the establishment of Christianity as a state religion. There were church leaders and congregations.

You can say this was all organized after Christ’s death and he never intended this, but then there is no proof of that. There is no scriptural basis for this either. Where do you find the scripture, “And Jesus answered, saying, ‘You know, I really abhor organized religion. It really just sucks the life out of my teachings.’” You can find his quotes about the Pharisees and Sadducees and then generalize them into talking about all religion, and apply some of his other quotes to the same teaching, but that is definitely a modern interpretation.

I’m not knocking that belief, though. Just pointing out it is not clearly the only way to look at it.

Reconciling Old and New Testament God
Well, this really worthy of its own thread. I don’t have time to go into this at all, this post is already way too long and I’ve spent too much time on it as it is. But you really can, with a little faith, reconcile the two records.

The God of the Old Testament and the God of the New Testament are exactly the same. There are no differences between them. Why would God then authorize the slaughter of hundreds of thousands of people so that his “chosen” people could have a choice land?

This is where faith comes into play. The answer here would be, “I don’t know. I’m not God. But I’m sure he had a really good reason.” I can make conjecture that God knew that ultimately, the death of these people would not have a negative effect on them. If they continued to live they would only become more evil. Given the chance to change their ways they would have continued to degenerate. The most merciful thing God could do would be kill them.

That’s a hard pill to swallow, but then you remember that God knows the end from the beginning, so maybe every time he takes a life, or orders that life taken he does so in a way that the person dies at a point where they would do themselves no more good by continuing to live. Or maybe God, knowing what they would choose, makes an exception here and judges them according to what they would have chosen to do were they allowed to live longer.

There are instances of mercy in the Old Testament and instances of instant death meted out by God in the New Testament. You just have to apply faith that God did so with the best interest of everyone concerned in mind.

Anyway, those are my thoughts on this interesting thread.

[quote=“porcelainprincess”]The contradictions fly thick and fast, collapsing the whole edifice to the point where you have to just shut your eyes tight and cling fast to your “faith.”

Only an emotionally/intellectually stunted human being could ever take religion seriously in the 21st century.[/quote]
Only someone who doesn’t really understand religion could ever take a statement like that seriously at any time.

Speaking for myself, not wasting an iota of precious life on the unrelieved idiocy of religion is good enough, thanks.

Speaking for myself, not wasting an iota of precious life on the unrelieved idiocy of religion is good enough, thanks.[/quote]
It sounds to me like you are wasting your iotas in this thread. Are you some kind of evangelical, trying to convert the believers?

I mean not wasting any time worshipping or praying to an anthropomorphic god. Hey, I saw a thread, and made a comment. It’s a discussion board, so shoot me.

And your turnabout may seem cute to some, but let’s get real: a non-believer of religion putting in his two cents (“religion is self-evidently stupid”) is not exactly the zealous enthusiasm to win over converts that believers of various protestant faiths evince.

[quote=“porcelainprincess”]a non-believer of religion putting in his two cents (“religion is self-evidently stupid”) is not exactly the zealous enthusiasm to win over converts that believers of various protestant faiths evince.[/quote]No?

fundamentalist A: “Have you accepted Jesus as your own, personal saviour? No? Then you’re damning yourself to hell.”
fundamentalist B: “Have you accepted Reason as the one true source of wisdom? No? Then you’re damned stupid.”

Granted, neither camp is likely, or deserving, to win many converts with these approaches, but I don’t see much difference.

Can I get an Amen?

[quote=“Jaboney”][quote=“porcelainprincess”]a non-believer of religion putting in his two cents (“religion is self-evidently stupid”) is not exactly the zealous enthusiasm to win over converts that believers of various protestant faiths evince.[/quote]No?

fundamentalist A: “Have you accepted Jesus as your own, personal saviour? No? Then you’re damning yourself to hell.”
fundamentalist B: “Have you accepted Reason as the one true source of wisdom? No? Then you’re damned stupid.”

Granted, neither camp is likely, or deserving, to win many converts with these approaches, but I don’t see much difference.[/quote]
Ah, the devil’s advocate. I’ll humour you:

I’m not a fundamentalist. And your pat comparison doesn’t work for three reasons:

1. The Fundamentalist doesn’t stop at “No?” But the Secularist (the one you call a “Fundamentalist” in your strained comparison) does. You won’t see a Secularist canvassing door to door, or standing outside your church. The two sides clash when the Fundamentalist tries to impose his belief system on the Secularist (viz. “intelligent design” in science classes in Kansas, etc.).

2. The Fundamentalist cannot prove that I’m “damning myself to Hell” (Michigan, perhaps). But the Secularist can make an excellent case for why religion is just plain dumb all round. Here’s the deal: if you’re religious in any way, shape, or form, you don’t get to make fun of the thetans in Tom Cruise’s body or the Moonies or Jim Jones or the sneaker cult in San Diego or the Hare Krishnas in white robes who used to hang out in airports. You know the guys in the temples in Taiwan who slash themselves? You don’t get to make fun of them. Got that? You can’t, because you’re the same. Exactly the same. If you’re, say, a Christian, then you believe in an anthropomorphic god and drinking the blood and eating the body of some cat named Jesus who is the “lamb of god” and oh, get this, he died and then came back to life three days later and this is somehow supposed to, erm, “wash away our sins” so that we can get into a place called “heaven” once we lose consciousness for the final time. Or something. Whatever. Jim Jones? Meet my 65-year-old Aunt Sheila who is a lovely person who has never hurt a fly and prays fervently at any moment and talks about people who are “spirit-filled.” A lovely woman I like to see and chat with now and then and who was smart enough to run her own business for 35 years…and a creepy, brainwashed moron. Would I say that to her face? No. Though she knows enough never to dare to raise the subject of the perils my “soul” may face should I fail to get “saved” in time.

3. The most obvious reason: the Fundamentalist cannot give any reasonable evidence of the existence of any sort of god. Make no mistake, the onus is on the Fundamentalist, so why not drop the ridiculous posturing about there being two equal sides competing for a hold on one’s “faith?” This isn’t the day when the various sport and social clubs set up tables in the gym and try to get you to join. No, it’s the religionists who are proclaiming how great and all-powerful their god is (whichever one it is), while the secularists are looking askance and going about their business. And if you retort that you willingly admit that you cannot provide any existence of your god, but that that is where your “faith” comes in, then you’re exactly the same as the kool-aid drinkers.

The great and powerful Oz has spoken.

Really? Cool. How about giving us a link?

Can you give me a brain?

By the way, I’ve hijacked this thread, so for that, I apologize. I shouldn’t have barged in and made my unfriendly remarks, I know. I blame leisure.

I promise to shut up unless further provoked.

This thread was for bashing Christians, so you’re okay.

You know, Richardm, I starting to wonder if it isn’t you who wants to get a room!

As long as the walls are soft.
I’m off to church now.