Birds of Taiwan

Yeah, I’d love to hear about it. I assume you need to be a member to go? (Which is totally fine!) Some time in the next week or two I’ll drop by their Taipei office to pick up a copy of the English guidebook and become a member, and see how it goes from there.

I also hope that actually interacting with Taiwanese people beyond in-laws and my (English-language) workplace motivates me to resume progressing with the language.

Actually no, you don’t need to be a member. The lady who is a kind of mentor told me “Do a few trips and see how you feel, and maybe join next year”. Birding for me here is like being a kid again, everything is new. I was sitting in my room the other day and heard this weird call right outside my window, looked up and there was a male and female Maroon Oriole sitting right in front of me. I live in the middle of jungle and farms, but it was like seeing a pair of Dodo’s I got that excited.

2 Likes

Had a really good day today. Eight of us met up at a designated meeting point at 7am, and went up to a place called maple Trail which has good views of Hualien. We saw four different types of raptors, a monkey and various other birds. The people were nice, and I got a chance to practise my woeful Chinese and learn some Chinese names for birds. Even more importantly I got the chance to listen to general conversation.

I don’t own a vehicle, so was picked up by another member no problems.

Definitely recommended.

2 Likes

Thanks. That sounds like exactly the kind of thing I’m looking for.

Let me know how you go?

We have quite a few of these around NTHU campus. Their sudden moves when they go for the worms is very interesting.

themudpicker…I would be interested to join bird watching in Hualien. How do you suggest I contact the bird society?
I am also interested in bird watching book in English.

They have a website, just send an email to the contact address.

Opened my Xindian page to someone’s post: I have found dogs, cats, first time to find a chicken.

FB_IMG_1543192671045
Seems ot is not that rare:

FB_IMG_1543192737465

Yum

1 Like

About as rare as it gets, I’d say!

Ba-dum-dum, :drum:

Ha, it’s back.

I noticed that too. Pretty annoying.
I like to picture it as a tiny pterodactyl flying around at night looking for a mate.

No shit, you live in Shipai area?

No, but i have heard that call non-stop at night during certain months in Hualien and now in Taitung. I just figured it was everywhere.

Some kind of spring visitor I guess.

Maybe it’s this or maybe the Lesser Nighthawk

Actually we talked about both those possibilities up top a bit

This is it

https://instaud.io/3s1D

1 Like

That sounds like @tempogain jingling his pocket change again. Always fiddling around with his hands in his pockets. :wink:

1 Like