Birth certification for Unmarried Foreigner father and Taiwanese Mother. Uk / Ireland Registration

It seems that if we use standard terminology, what @tando says makes more sense.

Household Registration Act / 戶籍法
Immigration Act / 入出國及移民法

What is the Chinese word for the thing you call (ARC/APRC related) household registration?

Citizenship. After that you apply for the passport which is just a technicality really. Pay money for a passport so you can travel.

I’ll ask the wife later. But it appears to look exactly like hers. Maybe that’s why I get the rent discounts and stuff like that. All of that stuff always came in my Chinese name too.

Now, I guess what you call your household registration might be a NHI card. National ID card and ARC/APRC are not exactly similar, so I exclude them from a possibility, if your spouse is a Taiwanese citizen.

No it’s not my NHI card. It’s an A4 piece of paper with various stamps from 3 different government offices and my stamps in my traditional Mandarin, signature Mandarin, and old style Mandarin. It has my registered address on it ergo making it my Household registration certificate. I even remember having to pull my old one out when my sister in law’s husband called the police on me after claiming I wouldn’t let him into his house (it wasn’t his house). He had to pull his out too. And his was registered to a different address and the police weren’t very happy with him.

Given that you are not married I would not be surprised if you are asked to provide proof of relationship, i.e. a DNA test or similar.

What does it say on the top of the piece of paper?

Surely a marriage certificate can’t be used to prove I’m the father of a child?

Thanks for the reply - have you got any experiences of this or do you know anyone who has had the experience…or is it just your own thought?
I don’t mean to seem impolite, but it is important that i know the facts.

Taiwan can be a strange place. On the English version of the birth certificate you don’t need proof you are the father. The hospital will just ask who they put down as the father. On the Mandarin version (this is from experience) you can choose whether someone is put down as the father, preferred family name, whether you are married. Some hospitals are stricter than others. They would usually be the religious based hospitals like Cardinal Tien (although this hospital was great with me) or others (usually the Catholic ones if I’m being honest).

I can understand you’ve got a lot of emotions running through you right now. Baby on the way. Getting prepared. Working out the ins and outs of registering and citizenship. Getting stuff ready for the bub. It’s really not that difficult. All up will probably cost you about £500 at the most including passport. The doctor that delivers the baby can also witness the photo for the passport application. Just make sure you let them know and they’ll make sure they see you during the check ups after your baby is born.

As for facts it’s really just a matter of having the correct paperwork. The hospital is just one step.
This might help you.
https://www.angloinfo.com/how-to/taiwan/healthcare/pregnancy-birth/birth-registration#:~:text=Birth%20certificates%20are%20issued%20at,registration%20should%20be%20done%20immediately.
Best of luck with it.

Thanks! you’ve been very helpful :smiley:

1 Like

Your hospital was better than mine, then (my son was born at Wanfang in Taipei). The English birth certificate they gave us wasn’t remotely official-looking, or stamped, and the British passport office weren’t interested in it.

In the end I had to get a notarized translation of the Chinese birth certificate, and then a transitive set of (translated, notarized) documents showing that I was the person named on that (via my APRC, which has both my names) and that my son’s English name is his English name (by getting it added as an alternate name in his Taiwanese passport). It was a hassle.

I’d suggest the OP go talk to the hospital in question and see what exactly they’ll provide in his case.

off topic, though

did you figure out what it is? I’m curious. I first thought it might be a certificate of possession of property, but it seems not have 3 stamps on it. Is it a seal certificate?

Yeah it was an argument. They tried telling us they couldn’t do it so we just showed them the rules. At that point they followed them. All up it’s got the hospital stamp and notary on it as well as the confirmation government office notary stamp plus some other stamps. It was listed as the primary birth certificate too as it was easier to do it that way rather than exactly how you explained how you did it. Means we didn’t have to get any translations and all that.

1 Like

I didn’t get time to ask my wife last night. There’s a few things going on in the background that are keeping us occupied.

You didn’t get one of these gold gilded beauties?

Best to check the requirements listed here and contact the relevant agency, UK Rules

You will not be named if not married to the mother.

You will not be named if not married to the mother.

It is possible for your child to get citizenship if you are not married, at least on the UK side.

I have heard you need to get a DNA test.

Is this even if the unmarried father acknowledges the child?

That’s exactly what I got. It was useless.