Bit torrent

anyone have any probblems using it in Taipei? What isp would you recommend I get when I move that works good with it. Right now in the united states I got comcast and I cant even use it at all LOL less then 2kb a sec. Or should I just go to a netbar and download from there?

be carefull what you talk about round here
overnet rules

LOL I just use it for unliscensed anime thats only been released on fansubs

I tried Bit Torrent but thought it was poor: not a big selction of files and difficulty of searching for them It also takes a lot of setting up if you are on a router or wireless network, and you must make dedicated “holes” in any firewall software. for Bit Torrent to work.

I wonder where you were looking? I have been using Bit Torrent for more than a year and I can almost always find exactly what I am looking for. Pretty much everything can be found at SuprNova.org

As far as router setup, there is none. My router required no ports opened to function properly. Once you download the client, there’s no further setup or configuration required. Maybe you are thinking of Emule, which does require TCP and UDP ports opened to function.

[quote=“ShaoPang”]I wonder where you were looking? I have been using Bit Torrent for more than a year and I can almost always find exactly what I am looking for. Pretty much everything can be found at SuprNova.org

As far as router setup, there is none. My router required no ports opened to function properly. Once you download the client, there’s no further setup or configuration required. Maybe you are thinking of Emule, which does require TCP and UDP ports opened to function.[/quote]

Oops! It’s true a little knowledge is dangerous! Yes, I’ve tried SuprNova.org. I think my point is that you can’t easily search for files with BitTorrent in the way that you can with other peer-to-peer software like Kazaa. BitTorrent requires that you trawl through various sites instead.

The information about router set up was given to me by an experienced “bit torrenter”. Various websites post instructions for configuring some routers to work with BitTorrent. In particular, you do need to make “holes” in your firewall if you are running XP in order to get full transfer speeds. Here’s one such site giving instructions:

http://wiki.etree.org/index.php?page=BitTorrent
http://knowbuddy.dyndns.org:81/torrent/btclientconfig.html

I been using downloadanime.org mostly but I cant anymore cause the download speed is crap I might try using wifi at netbar when I am there with my laptop and just burn the avi files to dvdrs for storage

Perhaps the download speeds you’re experiencing are crap because you’ve turned off or highly limited the sharing you allow others. Open up your settings a bit and try it again.

I just learned this lesson and it works much, much better than with everything shut off, which is somewhat counter intuitive given earlier experiences with P2P clients.

If you want the best bittorrent client, use this one.

Azureus
sourceforge.net/project/showfile … p_id=84122

It’s programmed in Java so it’s available for a plethora of OS flavors and it’s an amazing bittorrent client as it keeps all your torrent in a Kazaa like interface with out all the bugs and ads. And it’s a very fast client and very powerful in terms of the amount of options you have with it.

Cheers

For the people out there that use the blessing that is bittorrent, which sites do you use downloading?

Back to the original question, I used Bittorrent with SoNet and it is working fine. My roomate also uses it all the time, So no problems here in Taiwan. It was also reasonably fast. I use a Linux server and just the commandline tool to download files. This way I can nicely put the download process in the background. When I use screen, I can even check the progress from work.

Yes, it’s working fine for me too, which is why I asked which sites you use. But thanks for answering the question from a year ago.

suprnova.org is shut down. They direct you now to a site called exeem.com I personally use www.torrentspy.com to download the Simpsons and Southpark as well as movies and the Daily show from time to time. I’ve had no problem so far with downloading. It’s usually pretty fast if it’s a tv show, movies do take a bit longer. Though I don’t download many films.

Yeah, I use torrentspy too, as well as some of the other big ones. I was just wondering if anyone could suggest some cool smaller underground ones. And by underground I don’t mean children or animals.

If you are a Mac user www.unrealmac.com is awesome.
Also torrentreactor is cool, similair to torrent spy.
Other than that, that;s it.

Try this:

torrentreactor.net/index.php

Ooops, I guess I was not paying attention the the date. :blush: :blush:

Read through the articles on this site: slyck.com/
some of which refer to lists of current bittorrent websites.
They are constantly changing, especially lately. Some of the
sites mentioned above are long dead.

The other thing to consider is using a program like newsbin
in combination with the usenet newsgroups. You may need to
subscribe to a newsgroup carrier if your ISP is not carrying the
groups you need or for long enough back in time. This is also
discussed at slyck.

Lastly check the Forumosa rules: no discussion of illegal activities.
The US Supreme Court hasn’t ruled yet, but the betamax defense
points to the “substantial non-infringing uses” of p2p. Still, be sure
to only download files that do not infringe copyrights. Actually
bit torrent is pretty good for this and has lots of linux distros.
I assume that is what you are using it for.

Yes, yes of course. Linux distros. That’s EXACTLY what I use it for. :wink: