Bittorrent being blocked?

I noticed that ever since Tuesday night my bittorrent download rates have been excruciatingly slow. I used to get over 100kBps on a regular basis, but am now getting well under 10kBps. I haven’t changed anything, and I’ve tried different trackers and bittorrent clients, so I think my ISP is blocking bittorrent traffic. I use So-net, and my friend who also uses So-net is experiencing the same thing.

Anyone else have this problem, and is there anything I can do about this besides switching ISPs? :help:

There are so many factors that affect your download rate on bittorrent. Are the files well seeded; what have they got their upload rates set to? What have you got your upload rate set to? I’d say try a few more files-- all files with totally stoked seeder-downloader ratios before concluding that your service provider is behind it. If it turns out it is, that’s just plain weird. Also check stuff like your firewall and whether or not your comp is infested with spyware. You know, the usual stuff.

Can you change the port number you are using?
(also need to change it in your NAT router)
That often gets around any ISP blocking.

Thanks for the tips. I’m farily experienced now with the torrents, so I’m sure it’s not the upload rate or the number of seeders/leechers. I also did a virus check and a spyware check. I even tried another client out to make sure it wasn’t my specific client that was being blocked.

Somebody just sent me a PM saying that Chunghua Telecom ADSL gives him no problems. So, given that my friend and I both had problems with So-Net, it seems very likely that that is the problem.

I just wanted to see if anybody else had this problem before I consider contacting my ISP. Anybody else on So-Net, or have anything to share about their situation?

[quote=“Shenme Niao”]Can you change the port number you are using?
That often gets around any ISP blocking.[/quote]
Yes, this is one thing I didn’t try. I couldn’t figure out how to do that with bitcomet. I will try it with another client sometime.

The good news is that as of this afternoon, my torrent speeds seem to have sped back up to their previous levels. I have no idea why, but I hope it stays this way. Thanks to all that helped.

[quote=“scomargo”][quote=“Shenme Niao”]Can you change the port number you are using?
That often gets around any ISP blocking.[/quote]
Yes, this is one thing I didn’t try. I couldn’t figure out how to do that with bitcomet. I will try it with another client sometime.

The good news is that as of this afternoon, my torrent speeds seem to have sped back up to their previous levels. I have no idea why, but I hope it stays this way. Thanks to all that helped.[/quote]

Read this article… it may help you understand why you have slow speeds

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4545519.stm