Bizarre English names - Part 2

The most common name for girls seems to be Kiki. Every school needs two or three Kikis.

There are two businesses near where I live that have “Kiki” in their names.

We have three Kikis
one Sonic
one Boss
three Leos…one Lio
Michaels all over the place
the obligatory Jordan
a Hiro
and a girl named Joey…which I thought was just extended prounciation, Jo-y, but noop. It’s Joey.

:slight_smile:

[quote=“jdsmith”]and a girl named Joey…which I thought was just extended prounciation, Jo-y, but noop. It’s Joey.

:slight_smile:[/quote]

Sure Joey is a girls name.

I have seen more Coco’s then Kiki’s.
Others I have seen are: White, Ben(for a girl), and Wings(yes like what an airplane has).

[quote=“Satellite TV”][quote=“jdsmith”]and a girl named Joey…which I thought was just extended prounciation, Jo-y, but noop. It’s Joey.

:slight_smile:[/quote]

Sure Joey is a girls name.[/quote]
Yep, I know of at least 3 women named Joey - 2 from the Philippines (one is a cousin of mine and the other is a singer-celebrity) and one here

Wasn’t there an old country western song called “A Man Named Sue”??

So Frost, if you have met White, you must have met Liver and Jeson.

No, not Jason. Jeson.

My school is a stickler for stupid names.

My cousin who moved here 5 years ago to attend college chose the name “River Wild”. I still call her Xiao Yi, I just can not look at a 25 year old woman and call her River.

I went to grad school with a woman, native american indian, named Dancing Wind. :slight_smile:

I knew her brother…Passing Wind. :laughing:

Had a student (adult male) who was named “HOMO”. One of the other teachers told him what the English slang meant and he stopped showing up for about a month but eventually returned - with the same name - hell, why not?

Could have meant homo sapien lol

I met someone who introduced himself as Bigger Wang, but I’m sure he was lying.

There’s a Bin Laden Cafe on the way to Qingquan in Xinshu County. The sign’s only in Chinese though.

Ah, I remember the year of the Jonathans. My second year at my school, 2002-2003, of the seven classes in the preschool there was a Jonathan in all but two. The next year was the year of the Jennifers. Three Jennifers and two Jennys. It was also the year of the Henrys…but only three of them. This year seems to be the year of the James’s…three of them…one for each age group.

My wife works with a Killer. Some names from my classes:

Brothers: Miles and Mingus. Named by their first English teacher. Always made me wonder if there there was a Satchmo out there somewhere…

Kinki (cute girl, it always made me blush when I said her name)
NoNon
Herry
Maybo (actually my classroom assistant)
Green
DumDum (I convinced her mom to change it)
Vivian x100 (what is UP with that name’s popularity in Taiwan??)
And my favourite:
Straight Hard One, which was supposedly a direct translation of his Chinese name.

I just met a guy, a film director or producer, called himself REVIEW. HUAhaha!!!

I have seen more Coco’s then Kiki’s.
Others I have seen are: White, Ben(for a girl), and Wings(yes like what an airplane has).[/quote]
I used to know a girl here named CoCo. I asked her why she chose her name, and she said, happily, “Because I’m stupid!”, and started to knock her head with her knuckles, saying “co… co… co…”.

Here’s my running tally of peculiar names I’ve seen since I’ve been here:
Dodo
Goodspeed
Yoyo
Prisca
Intel
Yun-Yun
Cash
Rock
Alamy
Codeine (she was a nurse)