Bizarre English names - Part 2

Many years ago, a colleague said she once had a student, a boy, called Ruby. The boy’s mother picked it. When told that it was a girl’s name, she said she did not mind.

I think in these situations you just have to bullshit and tell people the name will make people think of funerals, coffins, ghosts, death. Give a suitably waffly explanation. Then suggest a normal name. Bullshit again by telling them it really suits them and means ‘great fortune’ in Olde English or other language they are unlikely to check up on.

THe strangest names I’ve seen in my 4 years of teaching:
Milky
Fanny
NoNo (confused my other kids, thought I was crapping on them, kids would just randomly drop things they picked up when I called him)
Chevady (stupid kid actually wanted to be named after the Kid Castle dragon)
Gucci
Proust (pronounced Proooost)

I once saw a pink scooter with the name Fanny on it.hmmmm

Does anyone else find it kinda ironic that the following people have been posting to this thread:

Yi, Toe Save, hsiadogah, Dangermouse, ac_dropout, kategelan, Erhu, rooftop, Namahottie, Chris, Elegua, ImaniOU, daasgrrl, european, Gloria, durian_daun, bababa, chica, Dr Doom, seeker4, Guy like me, xtrain_01, Van Smack, TonAng, Big Fluffy Matthew, Dr_Zoidberg, Satellite TV, tetsuo500, fangstar, hexuan, Spack, Battery9

With the notable exceptions of Chris & Gloria, something about people in glass houses comes to mind … :laughing:

[quote]Does anyone else find it kinda ironic that the following people have been posting to this thread:

Yi, Toe Save, hsiadogah, Dangermouse, ac_dropout, kategelan, Erhu, rooftop, Namahottie, Chris, Elegua, ImaniOU, daasgrrl, European, Gloria, durian_daun, bababa, chica, Dr Doom, seeker4, Guy like me, xtrain_01, Van Smack, TonAng, Big Fluffy Matthew, Dr_Zoidberg, Satellite TV, tetsuo500, fangstar, hexuan, Spack, Battery9

With the notable exceptions of Chris & Gloria, something about people in glass houses comes to mind … [/quote]

Ok, I know you were trying to make a joke there, but it was a really really bad joke (as in boring, pointless, not funny at all) so I’m going to have to punish you.

They are internet handles. They are supposed to be funny, silly, amusing. It’s just the way things are. People just don’t use their real names - it’s really, really boring. I mean, who uses their real name on the net? david? That’s boring. What happens when another David joins the forums? David 2? And you realise you included my name in that list? You know Tetsuo is a real name, right? Ever heard of Japan? (Note: Tetsuo is not my real name, it’s the name of a character from a movie + a random number = not boring)

It’s not like these are names we introduce ourselves as when we go to apply for jobs, or attend classes. Hello my name is UNd3rt4k3r_54 nice to meet you? :rainbow:

I’m sorry, I know you were just making a joke, but I just thought it was really better left unsaid. You sir, are a crazy man. :stuck_out_tongue:

Just to stay on topic, I met a guy called Calorie.

[quote=“Battery9”]THe strangest names I’ve seen in my 4 years of teaching:
Milky
Fanny[/quote]
“Fanny” doesn’t sound nearly as bad in American English as it does in British English. In American English, it sounds kind of cute - not that I’d name my own child that, of course.

[quote=“Battery9”]
NoNo (confused my other kids, thought I was crapping on them, kids would just randomly drop things they picked up when I called him)[/quote]
I’ve had a couple of NoNos as well. What’s the attraction?

[quote=“Battery9”]Proust (pronounced Proooost)[/quote] How are you supposed to pronouce it? (Seriously)

[quote=“bababa”]“Fanny” doesn’t sound nearly as bad in American English as it does in British English. In American English, it sounds kind of cute - not that I’d name my own child that, of course.
[/quote]

It’s not really an unusual name in the US (short for Frances), but then again we have a president named Bush and a vice president named Dick.

proost not prowst

I have a cousin who chose her own english name.
She was 5 at the time and went with Kiki

I suppose it’s not that outrageous seeing as it’s the shortened version of Kirsten… but when I asked her where she got her name from… she said from Kiki & Coco (cartoon characters) :s

Um… I once taught a kid in kindegarten… name was Holy :s :s :s 6 year old boy… poor kid

and mum knows someone called Juice

No-no is a clothing store/fashion label in Taiwan if i remember correctly (and Non-no is a japanese fashion magazine)

New trainer at my gym says I can call him Bread. Now why would a decent looking young man want to be called Bread is beyond me. I asked him to spell it just in case he meant Brad. No, he meant Bread.

I had a student named Charlie Brown…not Charlie…Charlie Brown. And another named Dragon.

[quote=“Chris”][quote=“bababa”]“Fanny” doesn’t sound nearly as bad in American English as it does in British English. In American English, it sounds kind of cute - not that I’d name my own child that, of course.
[/quote]

It’s not really an unusual name in the US (short for Frances), but then again we have a president named Bush and a vice president named Dick.[/quote]

FRANNIE or FRANNY would be the US short name for Frances. The mans spelling for that name would be Francis, and the 2 men I have known with that name both used Francis with no nickname or short version.

I have heard my mother speak of several different women named Fannie/Fanny, however I have never heard of it being a shortened/nickname for anyother name. Perhaps it was.
As you mention the Brits give it a whole 'nother dimension - SFA.

Interesting thing nicknames. I almost married a women named Peggy. Only after a year or so of knowing her did I discover that “Peggy” is a common nickname for Margaret. At least thats what she told me.
And then there is Jack and John, Morris and Moe, etc.

And there is the obligatory anti-Bush rhetoric. It boggles the mind. :unamused:

And then there’s the obligatory anti-anti-Bush rhetoric. :loco:

When name “president” is spoken in reference to the leader of Taiwan it usually draws a good laugh from the boys here at the UN.

I have a kid called Rax. Not REX. Trouble is I also have a Rex in the same class.

:loco:

Me- “Rax, please read”

Silence, blank looks.

Me- “Rax, please read”

(the pointy finger at the nose “Who me?” routine, from two kids)

Me- “Rax, please read” (Teacher stresses the “a”)

The rest of the class yell “R-A-X”

Jeez, if your going to give your kid a stupid name, at least get them to recognize when someone is saying it!

Had a Momo for a short time. Or was it just a mo?

L :smiley:

There’s the sisters Baby and Honey (not sure if they have another sister called Sweetie, though) and a poor little four-year-old with the name Igor. That’s quite the name for a preschooler. One child came to our school with the name Jessebelle (pronounced Jezebel). Ouch.

Also reminds me of some of the kids from my first class…

Minnie, Eugenia, Vera, Vernica, and Effie. All cute little 3-year-old girls…especially considering the fact that they had such grandmotherly names slapped on them.

A well known American named Francis; Fran Tarkington, former quarterback of the Minnesota Vikings football team.

OOC

Back in the early 1990s, I named an entire class of elementary school students after characters in The Lord of the Rings. :laughing:

Some 12 or 13 years ago, we had a messenger who I really hated, he came one day and asked me to give him an English name, which I gladly did. Met him few years later when he took over the customs house broker firm from his father and he gave me his name card, he only changed one letter from the original I have chosen for him. Kept his card, reads Wenker Lee, CUSTORMER BROKER .

^^^ He probably just misspelled it.

Speaking of which, a Frank I knew had new namecards printed and showed me (proudly) the first one. The print shop had misspelled it ‘Fraud’. :laughing: Considering some of Frank’s business tactics, I wasn’t so sure it was a mistake :wink:

This is the Hitler drink shop I found a while ago in Taoyuan.