Bizarro Happy Hour : Hsinchu, Sunday Dec 02

It’s been threatened, so here goes.

Not Taipei, Not Official, Not Midweek.

Just bouncing some ideas for a few pages and then we’ll confirm the time/place.

*Location has to be Taichung or further South. Time will probably be a Sunday lunchtime/afternoon in late Nov (about 4-5 weeks time) If Saturday is a preference, speak up.

The idea is a tribe of people will jump in their cars or on the trains from Taipei and Taoyuan etc and we all meet up somewhere down the mid/south of the island with all the 'mosans who are keen to come out of the heartland woodwork.

Who’s keen? Any location/venue suggestions? Does Sunday afternoon work?

*Edit: After much healthy(?) banter, the final location is decided as Hsinchu Pig and Whistle, Sunday 02 December

Traffic going back up might be a concern if we go by car. Sundays on the freeway going north is a nightmare.

I’d be up for this.

Me too.

Same here. Let’s call it Unhappy Hour.

Hey, could it be the HSR? I’ve yet to take the darn thing and really want to. Book the tickets early enough and seating should be a breeze… Just a suggestion and I’d be into it. Driving… :noway: :noway: :noway:

That’s a good one. Let’s have it really south. Like Koh Tao, which is where I’ll be in late November.

Suggestion:

ChiaYi

Calgary

Discuss among yourselves.

Not a bad call there, TC. HSR down (or up) to Taibao, cab it in to town, experience the delights of Almas John’s turf.

I think I like the idea of HSR’ing it down there and back.

Careful. I’m owed leave I have to take or burn.

HG

Not pimpin’ for the place as I’ve only been there one time and my memory is sketchy after the 1st 4 hours…but…the place is a real bar…big inside, lots of tables…stage at the back…easy access bathrooms that are clean (I think, it was an hour or so until the seal broke)…good bar snacks and what looked like good food available…staff was friendly to my lousy jokes (once they got over their nervousness)…and, the big seller - NT$250 for BIG pitchers of good beer!..the usual full bar also available.
Also…its within easy walking distance of a good hotel.

My CARBON CREDITS* associate knows the place much better than I and could add more details. He can probably get a contact info.

Just things to consider.

* - franchises now available!

Sunday in Tainan seems reasonable…That way it can also be a Kenting weekend with the added bonus of a South Taiwan HH on the way back.

I’m in. The hell with the HSR, I’ll be taking the beast. And for Mr. He, by the time you get out of there traffic won’t be an issue anyway. Less than 3 hours from our place, this is looooong overdue. :sunglasses:

I guess that I will be able to hitch a ride with MJB.

OK, here goes a tentative date:

Sunday 02 December

This is in the middle of the Taipei HHs and I know of at least a few people whom this date suits.

I’ll be back by then. I’m tentatively in for sure.

I’ve just checked my covert calendar and it appears I might be able to swing a special guest to appear at this HH. I can’t say more than that at this stage, but it’s a major coup.

My people are talking to their people.

[quote=“Truant”]I’ve just checked my covert calendar and it appears I might be able to swing a special guest to appear at this HH. I can’t say more than that at this stage, but it’s a major coup.

My people are talking to their people.[/quote]
Is it Jolin? It’s Jolin isn’t it? I bet it’s Jolin.

[quote=“Truant”]I’ve just checked my covert calendar and it appears I might be able to swing a special guest to appear at this HH. I can’t say more than that at this stage, but it’s a major coup.

My people are talking to their people.[/quote]
Oh god! If its who I think it is, does this mean we’re going have to fight over whose car the person gets to ride in? It would be SO unseemly!

The Tainan Cowpoke wrote: [quote]
My CARBON CREDITS* associate knows the place much better than I and could add more details.[/quote]

Hey TC - this is a fun event, not an Oriented evening of business card swapping. i know you want to save the planet but let’s just stick to socializing. Of course, we will be collecting a carbon tax on anyone driving down from Northern Taiwan unless they have at least one hot female passenger.

The Calgary is a pretty good venue and a big plus is that it is within walking distance of the train station. The only prob is that the High Speed Railway Station is quite far out of town (about a 23 minute taxi ride).

How far is it from Tainan’s HSR Station to a good pub?