Blast from the past: thought I'd share this bit

Digging through old e-mail, I came across this friends and family survey – so you see, we put SOME (wee bit of) planning into the creation of the old website :slight_smile:

[quote]
Date: Tue Aug 10, 1999 8:56am
Subject: FONT SURVEY: If you don’t know the answers, just hit reply and tell me you’re alive!

Hi Folks,

Once upon a time (about a year ago, actually) I sent out a survey to my email distribution about what expectations one might have about an organization targetting new arrivals in ‘Korea’: the (fictitious) Korean American Professionals Association

The responses were pretty consistent – there obviously are those basic needs we all have when we roll into a new scene:

house
               job
              food
               play 

(almost consistently in that order! Tho’ some of you yahoos put play on top) --> In short: “information” and “community” were clear themes.

Believe it or not, those responses eventually led me to embark on a website project that is (finally!) almost ready to go – oriented.org

So, we’re close… but there are some basic details that, well, we’re still trying to figure out yet.

Do me a favor? Hit your REPLY button (NOW!) and give me quick and dirty answers to this highly unscientific, but terribly relevant, survey.

Peace,

gus.

[If you don’t know the answers, at least hit reply and tell me you’re alive!]

1. Which FONT style does your HOME computer have? VERDANA, ARIAL NARROW, or both? You can quickly check in Windows by going to your Start Menu, pressing ‘R’ and then typing ‘c:\windows\fonts’

2. Which FONT style does your OFFICE computer have? VERDANA, ARIAL NARROW, or both? You can quickly check in Windows by going to your Start Menu, pressing ‘R’ and then typing ‘c:\windows\fonts’

3. WHERE do you surf more: at home, or at work?

4. Do you PREFER Netscape, Internet Explorer (IE), or other?

5. (For those in Taiwan) Which do you prefer: the Taiwan News, the China Post, or the Taipei Times?[/quote]

Looking this over, I do NOT see how I saw “community” in that list of important things people need when you enter a new environment. All four seem pretty self-interested to me. Just fishing for confirming evidence, I guess.

That said, some of the forums that we started out with flat out died. Like the Movie forum. Of course, 80% of the traffic those first few months was Christine and me – pretending to be other people. Lot’s has changed, huh? We really had barely a grasp on what we were doing, huh? In fact, the most popular forum – then and now – is the Open Forum, which was defined as little as possible.

[quote]those responses eventually led me to embark on a website project that is (finally!) almost ready to go – oriented.org[/quote]Did you ever get this started ? What ever happened to it ? :unamused:

You’re looking at it, cupcakes
And we have a fraternal twin, too

I remember the days of lurking on oriented.org before I made my first post under the guise of ‘Tai Le Meiguoren’, incidentally a housing ad for before I came to Taiwan in 2001 and I also remember when oriented.com was launched…those were the days indeed… Does this mean the this website’s 4th anniversary is coming up next month?

You’re right, Imani, I guess it is coming up! We’ll have to work that into the August Happy Hour – cheers!

btw, another ‘blast’ – yesterday, Chris asked me to dig up her TaiwanToday interview on ICRT from my backups of the dot-ORG website. Here is the MP3 for it: orientedhappyhours.com/press/audio/icrtmp3.mp3 (2.3MB)

Oriented.org was a great help for me in getting a life together here. Thanks Gus.