Blocking out the reality of Taiwan

Guess a lot depends on the fluctuations in exchange rate. 100,000NTD a month=2000 pounds. Not bad considering lower costs of living and much much lower tax rates.[/quote]

I calculated it wrong initially, it’s actually 26,000 euro for 100,000ntd/mth. Very few people make 100,000 ntd/mth without busting their balls or having a certain skill/background). With tax allowance and low tax bracket there’s not much difference take-home for lower income earners between here and UK/Ireland (except here you are exceptional on 100,000ntd and there you are entitled to labour insurance if you are unemployed, 58 euro in UK and 200 euro in Ireland and old age pension) it’s the cost of living that gets you…however anybody semi-competent should be able to pull in 40,000 euro/yr in those countries (35,000 euro average wage). Moral of the story, dont’ be a worker, be a boss here (Taiwan is an ideal small business base) or else intend to never leave the island because the NTD is set so low you can’t think it is really money here unless you are from a third world country or an arts graduate. Plus women generally make much less and usually get fired when having a baby here so you can write off almost half your income compared to western countries if you are a couple.

[quote=“thos123”]

What an arrogant, idiotic statement to make. By your reckoning, if you’re not happy and absolutely delighted about living in Taiwan then you should go back to your home country!
Let me make a guess- this is your first big trip overseas and you’re still wearing your rose-tinted glasses (wow! this is so glamorous and exciting living here) or your smoking far too much of the green stuff you mentioned.[/quote]

Also an arrogant, idiotic statement. Why is anyone who finds a degree of contentment or happiness in Taiwan always “in denial” or “wearing rose-tinted glasses”?

If you can’t be with the one you love, love the one you’re with.

1 Like

If you are happy, then that state is regardless of where you are or who you are with. It is like finding the right partner: no one can make you happy, unless you are happy yourself and have a “happiness bank” inside of you to weather the bad times. Otherwise, you’ll find the darkest spots in the most pristine snow…

I could be bounded in a nutshell and count myself king of infinite space were it not that I have bad dreams.

It’s an island, baby.
You want something, you better bring it when you come.

[quote=“the chief”]
You want something, you better bring it when you come.[/quote]

:astonished:

[quote=“Chewycorns”][quote=“the chief”]
You want something, you better bring it when you come.[/quote]

:astonished:[/quote]
Quit following me around or I’ll give Ralph Klein your phone number.

[quote=“headhonchoII”]…snip

I calculated it wrong initially, it’s actually 26,000 euro for 100,000ntd/mth. Very few people make 100,000 ntd/mth without busting their balls or having a certain skill/background). With tax allowance and low tax bracket there’s not much difference take-home for lower income earners between here and UK/Ireland (except here you are exceptional on 100,000ntd and there you are entitled to labour insurance if you are unemployed, 58 euro in UK and 200 euro in Ireland and old age pension) it’s the cost of living that gets you…however anybody semi-competent should be able to pull in 40,000 euro/yr in those countries (35,000 euro average wage). Moral of the story, dont’ be a worker, be a boss here (Taiwan is an ideal small business base) or else intend to never leave the island because the NTD is set so low you can’t think it is really money here unless you are from a third world country or an arts graduate. Plus women generally make much less and usually get fired when having a baby here so you can write off almost half your income compared to western countries if you are a couple.[/quote]

Still wrong :doh: … 1 € is 40-45NT$ … let’s take your figures that makes 2,600 € for 100,000NT$ … and that’s for European standards a good wage …

I like to stand in front of my mirror and flex my huge, sculpted biceps while rippling my taut, six-pack abs.

And I like wakeboarding behind a vintage cigar boat in the frigid waters of the Yilan County fjords.

[quote=“Mawvellous”][quote=“thos123”]

What an arrogant, idiotic statement to make. By your reckoning, if you’re not happy and absolutely delighted about living in Taiwan then you should go back to your home country!
Let me make a guess- this is your first big trip overseas and you’re still wearing your rose-tinted glasses (wow! this is so glamorous and exciting living here) or your smoking far too much of the green stuff you mentioned.[/quote]

Also an arrogant, idiotic statement. Why is anyone who finds a degree of contentment or happiness in Taiwan always “in denial” or “wearing rose-tinted glasses”?[/quote]

I have no idea why. Possibly, naivety or perhaps that they simply come from a place far worse than Taiwan. Good luck to Deuce Dropper if he’s found contentment in Taiwan but I’ve got no time for his downright arrogant and insulting insinuation that if your not happy in Taiwan your not suited to living abroad.

[quote=“thos123”][quote=“Mawvellous”][quote=“thos123”]

Also an arrogant, idiotic statement. Why is anyone who finds a degree of contentment or happiness in Taiwan always “in denial” or “wearing rose-tinted glasses”?[/quote]

I have no idea why. Possibly, naivety or perhaps that they simply come from a place far worse than Taiwan. Good luck to Deuce Dropper if he’s found contentment in Taiwan but I’ve got no time for his downright arrogant and insulting insinuation that if your not happy in Taiwan your not suited to living abroad.[/quote]

Yes, my point is that calling people who are content in Taiwan “naive”, “in denial”, “wearing rose coloured glasses”, “on their first big foreign trip” or “from a place even worse than Taiwan” as the Taiwan bashers typically do is at least equally arrogant and insulting.

I sit in my house for days on end and stare at the roses in the closet
Whenever I go to Chinatown I get drunk and never get laid

I say nothing about my prisons
Nor the millions of underpriveleged who live in my flower pots under the light of 500 suns

[quote=“thos123”]Deuce Dropper wrote:
If you can’t find your comfort zone in Taiwan you are not cut out to live overseas.

That is the bottom line

Arrogant and idiotic describes your post.

arrogant in the fact you ass-u-me anything about me and idiotic in the sense you missed my point.

sorry your life sucks so bad, but it’s your fault, yes yours, and no one else is to blame.

Some people try to replicate their country in miniature … or part of it, at least the tangible part, like food, beer and other good stuff … a flight out of daily reality :whistle: :roflmao: :discodance:

[quote=“Deuce Dropper”][quote=“thos123”]Deuce Dropper wrote:
If you can’t find your comfort zone in Taiwan you are not cut out to live overseas.

That is the bottom line

Arrogant and idiotic describes your post.

arrogant in the fact you ass-u-me anything about me and idiotic in the sense you missed my point.

sorry your life sucks so bad, but it’s your fault, yes yours, and no one else is to blame.[/quote]

Deuce Dropper, just out of curiosity, what other countries have you lived in overseas?

I like Taiwan, but then again I’ve only been here two months and am still going around saying “Wow look at all the Asians!” Maybe I should learn some Chinese so I can understand all of the nice things people seem to be saying about me.

I’m having mystical visions and cosmic vibrations.

Welcome to Taiwan!
I’m sure you’re going to love it (once you get over a little bit of “culture shock”;))!
Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or need help settling in.
And yes, it’s a pretty good idea to learn at least some Chinese.
It’s an even better way to get to know the fascinating local culture just a little better!:slight_smile:
Good luck!