Blood suckers: no-see-ums

小黑蚊 (xiǎo​ hēi​ wén) or biting midges.
The scientific name is “Forcipomyia taiwana (Shiraki)”, also known as “Lasiohelea taiwana (Shiraki)”.
Wikipedia has this explanation:

[quote]Ceratopogonidae, or biting midges (including what are called, in the United States and Canada, no-see-ums, midgies, sand flies, punkies, and others), are a family of small flies (1–4 mm long) in the order Diptera. They are closely related to the Chironomidae, Simuliidae (or black flies), and Thaumaleidae.
They are found in almost any aquatic or semiaquatic habitat throughout the world. Females of most species are adapted to suck blood from some kind of host animal. Culicoides, Forcipomyia (Lasiohelea), and Leptoconops suck vertebrate blood.[/quote]
So they suck blood from “vertebrates” - that includes us
A more detailed explanation of the relationship between what may bite us and what people call it is here:
doomedbugs.com/Bugs/Biting-Midge-Noseeums/
And after all has been said and we have forgotten those unwieldy Latin names, what remains is a name that fits the 小黑蚊 better than any other, and that is the one i’ve heard in Canada, “no-see-um”. :sunglasses: Because, you don’t… while the itch makes up for what you don’t see! :bluemad:

Are biting midges a big deal in Taiwan? They certainly are in Scotland, but maybe that’s a different species.

They are easy enough to see, and thier mass attacks can be intolerable.

[quote=“Ducked”]Are biting midges a big deal in Taiwan? They certainly are in Scotland, but maybe that’s a different species.

They are easy enough to see, and their mass attacks can be intolerable.[/quote]

They only attack bad people … :smiley: and men wearing skirts …

Different species, same result. The scottish midge is bigger than the 小黑蚊, and seems to swarm more. I’ve been in beautiful scottish highland spots that I wouldn’t set foot in again, ravaged by thick clouds of midges, with no escape.

The 小黑蚊 (i’ve been told) used to have a more localised Taiwan distribution, but spread rapidly along with the growth of agriculture. It’s well established in our garden, and makes a mockery of the fact that I call it “our garden”, when I can’t even set foot in the place without being bitten to shit within 5 minutes. I dislike calling them ‘no-see-ums’ - that seems an unnecessarily friendly term, when I hate them with a passion. They CAN be seen if you stand very still and watch them drift around your body before moving in for a bite, but as they’re so much smaller than mosquitos you just can’t spot them out the corner of your eye and brush them away. If they want to bite you, they’re going to get you.

Itching time = 15-20 mins.

I disagree, my latest bite of 2 days ago is still horribly ichy!
I’ve seen the buggers but I was surprised they don’t do the usual bbbbzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZ normal mosquitos do i gues that’s why they’re called no-see beasties. Scottish ones dont ich that much just irritating that they swarm. I’ve actually still got a big bite on my stomach from about a month ago from these orrible little no-see ers, no idea how they got me there and I’m wondering if there’s one hiding in my room biting me every night on he same spot and laughing at me wondering why the mark doesn’t go away.

Hi,

I am just back from a Hotel /HotSpings / B&B in Puli (Central Taiwan) called ‘Pine Tree Garden’
I was surprised to get so much space on such a busy and crowded national holiday weekend !

I quickly understood the problem, with my daughter’s whole body bitten by these xiaoheiwen in minutes.
You don’t see anything. You don’t hear anything. You just don’t know. It hurts and it’s so annoying.

We still decided to stay wearing long sleeves and ultra protection. So beware!

Puli Pine Tree Hotel = 23°58’59.53"N 120°59’52.96"E

I do believe this case of xiaoreiwen is the result of misuse of pesticides designed to protect fields around.
And for some reasons, has disturbed and damaged the whole chain of alimentation.