Blowing the flugelhorn of Gondor

I used to play trumpet. For a long time I’ve wanted to try a flugelhorn. I’d probably sound rubbish as I haven’t played a brass instrument for 18 years. The fingering’s still right there in my muscle memory, but the embouchure’s long gone. It would be interesting to try though.

Anyone know of a shop where I could try one? Or anyone own a flugelhorn that I could try?

I bet Sandman can give you some good advice. He’s always blowing his own trumpet.

[quote=“irishstu”]I bet Sandman can give you some good advice. He’s always blowing his own trumpet.[/quote]Hardy har har. But at least you focused on the “own trumpet” angle and not the “blow” one.

[Edit: That gave me an idea. In the spirit of the “naughty tax collectors” thread, I’ve changed the title]

Apparently Jupiter brand flugelhorns are reasonable beginner instruments. They’re made in Taiwan and Jupiter’s parent company is KHS, so I’ll head over to the KHS store on Fuxing South at some point to have a look.

Found some nice online flugelhorniness here (3rd video) and here, if anyone’s interested.

Ok, fine, since you asked:

Thanks for that. I was thinking of you when I changed the thread title.

That might actually be the most useful response I’ll get. Music shops are most unhelpful; along the lines of “Why would you want to play a flugelhorn, anyway? Why don’t you try a nice trumpet instead?”