Bluetooth earbud keeps cutting out only when walking

I will just point out the elephant in the room then I will leave you to your misery.

You work in the audio industry (or at least did) you make and tune instruments, you understand the value of audio equipment.
Why are you fucking around with cheap dodgy quality stuff, invest in a decent setup and you will get more than your monies worth from it.
Every audiophile I know has a good set of headphones/ earbuds even if they are 10years old (the headphones not the people).

2 Likes

Because there is no such thing as a 10 year old bluetooth earbud!! There can’t be, if you use it anymore than once a week, the battery will be dead, because we’re talking about 15-20 mwh battery here!

Go watch this video and tell me if there will ever be a 10 year old Airpod

It is unwise to spend 6000nt on something that will last at most, about 2 years. We can replace phone batteries. It’s a little hard but doable. You absolutely cannot replace an Airpod battery, it is glued in so tight that you must destroy it in order to get the battery out.

That’s why I am fooling around with cheap, dodgy bluetooth headsets, because they’re disposable, just like plastic drinking straws or soda cans. You don’t spend a lot of money on those.

If the battery was as easy as unscrew a cap, pop old battery out, put new one in, and it’s good as new, I’ll be happy to spend 10,000 on one because I can use them for 10 or more years. Otherwise, the way they’re engineered is to be thrown away once the tiny battery dies.

1 Like

I never managed to figure out the mechanism, but I also always had the feeling that the effect was way more pronounced when I had the phone jostling around in my jeans pocket while walking around. Sometimes it could be improved by moving the phone to my shirt pocket (annoying!) or keeping it in my hand. This was mostly while walking home on deserted streets at night, so relatively low device density (for Taipei, I mean compared with a crowded MRT carriage or whatever). Even at home, the operational distance was far inferior to the Pixel Buds I subsequently bought.

I always wonder how many expensive earbuds have been lost over the years they exist.

Read the sentence, no body is saying there are 10 year old earbuds. let me put it a way you may be able to comprehend, every audiophile I know would sooner use a 10 year old set of headphones with excellent sound quality than use something that has questionable quality,
even if that means using an adapter ether wired or bluetooth.

1 Like

Maybe you could set up a Pairing service, Tinder for single buds.

Sorry, but I don’t buy into snake oil stuff that audiophiles are engaged in, nor do I have the money to play that game. I don’t care that much about the audio qualities of some bluetooth headset I use on the go, it’s to drown out stupid mandarin pop, that’s it.

I have a hifi at home. I can’t carry that with me everywhere I go unfortunately.

I was thinking about getting expensive Sony buds, but after reading reviews I changed my thinking and I just bought some cheaper ones.

I’m just using audiophile to cover the people I know who are serious about sound, either professionally or as an amateur.

1 Like

I’ll be honest in that the Redmi Airdot 2 actually sounds pretty good as far as quality goes. Is it very well defined and detailed? Hard to say, it’s an earbud and you don’t generally expect that much out of it, especially a cheap one, but it’s great for the price if it wasn’t so damned unreliable. If it worked it would have served me very well.

Thats the crunch, but if you already have good quality head/earphones you better off investing in a bluetooth to headphone adapter.

there are better ones but this has good reviews

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08HZ4LKT2?ots=1&linkCode=ogi&tag=bp_links-20&ascsubtag=[artid|2089.g.25850070[src|www.google.co.uk[ch|[lt|psv[pid|1ee64f16-d571-4c98-858e-1a29ba77680c

Actually even the wired headphone I use is cheap. They sound ok, not amazing but sounds ok.

But bluetooth earbud does offer the benefit of not having wires whipping around like crazy, which gets annoying, in addition to the USB c port being worn out and that affects charging.

I just need something that works.

Your phone will probably be dead, lost or broken before that happens USB C is designed to be long lasting and sturdy.

In this case you will get what you pay for, stay cheep and take your chances or pay more for a guarantee of quality.

I don’t know. I’ve had so many instance of USB-C port basically failing to connect, loose, or whatever, much more so than lightning. I’ve never had lightning fail on me at all. I think it’s because USB-C has such fine wires that needs to connect to the port, and any slight misalignment causes problems. Lightning’s connection are actually quite large compared to USB-C.

The 3.5mm adapter I have seems to start failing after a few months where if you bump into the connection, the audio cuts out. I’ve also had it short out, stop charging and have to shake the thing to get it to connect. None of this has ever happened with lightning connector. I think type C is clearly inferior to lightning.

Yeah, if and if, but they don’t work very well do they? Alright sound quality but the connection dropping all the time isn’t good quality. That’s the point, and it’s the same reason I stopped using them.

Well, are Xiaomi known to do this a lot? Even if you buy it from the official source?

Because if it does, then nobody would buy Xiaomi products and they’d fail pretty fast.

:man_shrugging:

Maybe you can try buying another pair from a reputable seller rather than the cheapest seller on Taobao. Like I said already, my first pair weren’t bad.

Or put a bit more money into getting a more reliable product.

1 Like

I think they are reflective of the price point.

So just buy 6000nt earbuds every 2 year?

Up to you.

I don’t think I’ve said that, and I’d be reluctant to do it personally. Maybe there’s something in between what you’ve written there and spending 50 CNY on the cheapest pair from Taobao that doesn’t work. :man_shrugging: