Bluetooth earbud keeps cutting out only when walking

I got a Xiaomi Redmi airdot 2.

Thing sounds great, and is very convenient and good that I’m not wearing out the USB c port and being able to charge while listening to music is great. That’s whenever it works.

Because if I’m sitting in the mrt or bus, it works, but as soon as I get up and walk around, one or both ears will cut out, or be off pitch, or off phase. It happens randomly too, like it just wants to cut out for no reason but only when I’m moving.

Yet when I’m on the threadmill with the phone charging 2 meters away, it worked fine, but when the phone is in my pocket it cuts out randomly. The only way to fix this temporarily is to take the offending earbud out of my ear and into the case, and repeat as often as it takes to get sound back.

Do all Bluetooth earbud do stuff like this to you? Or is it just Xiaomi?

I’m not paying 3000nt for what is essentially disposable product, and today’s phone design have made wired headphone impossible, as Google pixel absolutely will not allow charging via the USB c port when using wired headphone. If you use a split adapter the sound cuts off as soon as you plug in a charger.

What other cheaper Bluetooth earbud do you recommend? I’m sick and tired of it cutting out on me, but clearly this is now required. I’m not buying an apple airpod.

Xiaomi repair department has no idea how to fix it but you can buy a Redmi bud for something like 450nt.

I’ve had the same issue with those earbuds. The first pair I bought on Shopee Taiwan worked pretty well for a long time until I broke them, then a couple more pairs I bought in Thailand were quite terrible from the start (possibly fake or ones that had failed QC, who knows).

I just bought some Pixel Buds Pro instead. They’re much better, and, yes, I know you’re not going to do that.

So bottom line is you gotta spend 3000 or more for what is essentially disposable product? I’m just wondering if it’s because Xiaomi has shit quality control.

I bought it from taobao because it was less than 50rmb.

I guess if I buy it from Xiaomi in Taiwan, and a current model at least if it’s broken they’ll replace it for like 6 months.

It’s good earbud, I just don’t understand the constant disconnection and poor link. It feels like a bad solder.

If I could easily replace the battery on those earbuds, I would buy it for 3000 or more because I can use it for 5 or more years instead of just one.

This might be part of the problem, like I suspect it was with me when I bought the later pairs for cheap on Shopee or Lazada in Thailand.

I would say this makes it not a good earbud tbh.

Mine were just under NT$6k if I remember correctly, but I used an NT$5k Google Store voucher that would otherwise have gone to waste so they ended up being pretty good value.

2 Likes

I would never have gotten any Bluetooth earbuds to begin with if phone makers didn’t keep removing the headphone jack. This is obviously done to force you to buy disposable stuff.

Xiaomi can’t be that bad if they’re one if the world’s largest phone and consumer electronic maker.

I don’t buy from shopee because most the time it’s third hand purchase, meaning you buy from them, they order from taobao, then charge you a huge markup. Way worse warranty than just buying from taobao.

Maybe it’s just safer buying from a Xiaomi store…

Why would anyone make a fake Xiaomi? They’re already cheap.

We’ve discussed this multiple times now, but again I don’t think that’s the case “most [of] the time”. Obviously many things are made in China, but even so buying from a Taiwanese seller is sometimes useful in terms of local stock, delivery speed, ease, some expectation of customer service, etc.

Yeah. It’s why I said “possibly fake or ones that had failed QC”. I’ve heard of that for Taobao listings while living in China - the manufacturers or others openly or illicitly selling lower-quality electronic stuff that aren’t good enough for export to major markets. I wouldn’t be surprised if some of this still goes on on Taobao, or if the items feed through to less strict markets like Southeast Asia.

Not my experience.

I would buy something on shopee or ruten only to be told I have to wait at least a week for it. It’s only because they’re ordering it from taobao then passing it onto you. You’re paying for a middleman without any benefit.

The problem now there’s no way to sort this out. I would be happy to pay a small premium to have stock on hand that I can go pick up, or get it in a couple of days. I’ve had to choose my seller very carefully to avoid this.

A Chinese guy told me to buy from t mall as they have very strict rules especially about fakes or rejects.

Sure, can happen if you’re always trying to buy from the cheapest sellers, but it’s possible to avoid.

Well this is the point, isn’t it? You bought them on Taobao for 50 CNY (similar to what I paid in Thailand, and half what I paid in Taiwan), and now you (and I) are stuck with some earbuds that don’t work very well. Perhaps paying a bit more on Tmall or Shopee Taiwan would have gotten you (and me) a pair that works properly…

1 Like

I’ve found momoshop to be reliable for electronics in Taiwan.

1 Like

But assuming you got real Xiaomi stuff, and not knockoffs or rejects, are they any good?

I think I’ll buy such thing from T Mall next time if I buy from Taobao. T Mall is reportedly much stricter about seller honesty… like extremely harsh fines for misrepresentation.

There’s a Xiaomi store too.

These cheaper Bluetooth devices can’t penetrate human flesh or/and have problems keeping tuned into the right frequency when walking in a crowded area with ‘competing’ Bluetooth devices. I have similar issues. Sound great but cutting intermittently out randomly in some circumstances.

https://24h.pchome.com.tw/prod/DCAC4V-A900GFX8N?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6u_VqIeUgwMViw57Bx0VGghHEAQYBCABEgKr-vD_BwE

I’ve tried the product you linked, it does not work on the pixel phone. Audio cuts as soon as you plug in a charger. Try it and let me know.

why would I try it? I don’t have your problem and just to add, did you buy a cheap one of them also?

1 Like

No, I bought a good one from Guanhua, cost almost 300.

Tried it and audio cuts out as soon as charger is plugged in. He let me exchange it for something else.

I googled the problem and yes, this is specific to Pixel phones.

They obviously want you to buy a bluetooth earbud.

Only option is Sony phones (for now) that have headphone jacks.

Thats why I don’t have your problem.

I don’t know what pixel you have but here is one for 6

https://www.amazon.in/Google-Pixel-Headphone-Converter-Hands-Free/dp/B0CHB8T44F

pixel 7

so it looks like they are available

I found that especially in high density areas, Bluetooth earbuds get a lot of interference from other devices on the same frequency nearby causing cut outs. And the cheaper buds tend to be more susceptible to that. The same buds in a quieter area at home probably won’t have that issue.

I took the bud to a Xiaomi repair department.

There is probably a LOT of bluetooth devices that can cause interference, but it works fine there. Actually it works fine as long as I am stationary. As soon as I put the phone in my pocket, and walk around, the audio will be around for a bit, and then it will randomly cut out or pitch shift. Then when I sit in the MRT where there are likely hundreds of competing bluetooth devices, it works fine, until I get up and put my phone in the pocket. Sometimes it stops working when I have the phone in hand, but it works when I hold it close to my head.

I’m leaning towards the earbud itself. Probably failed QA or something.

In that case sounds like the buds all right.