🇯🇵 ⛴ Japan | Yilan to Yonaguni Ferry

The big thing for hitching boats is finding where the traffic is specifically… Hualien, Yilan, Keelung… I would like to hear, because in Europe for example, most of the yachts have a main dock where they meet etc… and it’s a good place to make introductions…

Potentially you can crew back on a boat from Japan after the Ishigaki-Keelung race, in mid June.

https://discover-sailing-asia.myshopify.com/products/okinawa-taiwan-regatta

That’s more likely if you can actually sail, and maybe speak Japanese…

and you can do that on Peach air for USD40 each way if you buy during their monthly sales…

You could hitch a ride with these fellas, but you’d have to row, and their craft looks a bit dodgy.

3 Likes

Reviving this thread to say that ferry transport from Suao in Yilan to neighbouring Yonaguni Island in Okinawa Prefecture’s Yaeyama Island group seems to be happening! :heart_eyes:

Speaker of the Legislative Yuan (and former Yilan County magistrate) You Si-kun is apparently making the journey today. Sign me up!

Source: https://twitter.com/taipei_times/status/1676077315422588928

Guy

11 Likes

how long will the travel time be?

It seems to be just over two hours, with a 9:00 am departure and arrival at Yonaguni at 11:10 am (if I read the report below right—corrections welcome!).

Guy

7 Likes

Cool!

1 Like

I know where I’m going this year.

I don’t think I saw any mention about price. Anyone hear anything about how much it’s expected to cost?

Taking a look at some YouTube videos it does look like it would be a cool place to just chill out for a few days and maybe ride a bicycle around and get away from Taiwan.

EDIT:

Ironically enough the Governor of Okinawa is in China at the moment as part of a Japanese delegation. He went to China on July 3rd.

4 Likes

Well, China is making subtle noises that it wants Ryukyu Kingdom “back”. Like they ever had it in the first place…

so Denny Tamaki is sizing up his enemy.

2 Likes

If this cruise pans out then I’m definitely doing it. My last trip to Yonaguni involved three flights (Taipei-Naha-Ishigaki-Yonaguni), but totally worth it because that area is beautiful :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Were you diving? Was there anything else there to do?

Guy

Is the captain Japanese or Taiwanese?

I spent much of the time geocaching. I used Ishigawa as my base and each day I took a ferry to a new island. Once there I rented a car for the day and drove around, looking for geocaches and just exploring the island.

I took a plane to Yonaguni to save time and possible seasickness.

I wish I knew how to dive because there’s a cool underwater monument with a bit of a mystery (natural or man-made?)

4 Likes

Also whales and they have boats that take you out ahead of the whales so you can snorkel as film them.

3 Likes

And in season, the worlds largest gathering of hammerhead sharks for their annual orgy. Well, mating opportunity

3 Likes

Looks like there will be a trial next year in March departing from Hualian Port to Yonaguni Island. 111km distance, expected to take 3 hours.

https://www.chinatimes.com/realtimenews/20230906002151-260405?chdtv

3 Likes

Yes, no other news so far about the success or otherwise of the July trial run.

1 Like

Thanks for that news as I would like to go diving there.