Boeing 777-200LR, World's Longest-Range Airplane, Makes Firs

[quote]
Boeing 777-200LR, World’s Longest-Range Airplane, Makes First Flight
EVERETT, Wash., March 8, 2005 – The first Boeing [NYSE:BA] 777-200LR Worldliner, the world’s longest range commercial airplane, today completed its first flight and began a test program that will lead to its first delivery in January 2006.

The newest 777 took off from Everett, Wash., Paine Field at 10 a.m. local time. After approximately three hours, it landed at 1:02 p.m. at Seattle’s Boeing Field.

Capts. Suzanna Darcy-Hennemann and Frank Santoni flew the airplane, which carries the distinctive new blue Boeing livery. Darcy-Hennemann is the 777-200LR project pilot and Santoni is the chief 777 program pilot for Boeing Commercial Airplanes.

“The 777-200LR’s ability to connect the world is amazing,” Darcy-Hennemann said. “Flying the first flight is an honor and a rare opportunity.”

The 777-200LR, capable of connecting virtually any two cities in the world nonstop, is the fifth 777 model. It can carry 301 passengers up to 9,420 nautical miles (17,445 kilometers). " -(excert)
boeing.com/news/releases/200 … 0308h.html[/quote]
needed a picture.

I read somewhere, not long ago, that they are planning on getting an aircraft with Bars, jacuzzi and what not?
That wouldn’t be it would it? Looks too small for that.
But that’s progress anyway!

igorveni -
Those are some of the optionals discussed on various contract models of the A380 a/c.
Operators can specify how they would be outfitted and those things have been mentioned as possible for some private operators.

“Chillin’ with a G&T in the hot tub at 40,000 AGL.”

Very impressive.

Very impressive.[/quote]

You’ve been looking at people’s bedsheets on the long haul flights? :smiling_imp:

wavcentral.com/movies/basic_instinct.html

Now, we’re talking! :wink:

With 301 passengers you can see a trade off with payload against range.

It’s interesting that 30 years ago the focus was on speed while now, econmoies dictate that range and useful payload are of paramount importance.

It’s nice to see some exciting new airliners coming into the market especially after the predicted doom and gloom 911 brought upon the industry.

Is there any information on cruising speed?

I was wondering how the hell a plane made firs.

[quote=“Dangermouse”]With 301 passengers you can see a trade off with payload against range.

It’s interesting that 30 years ago the focus was on speed while now, econmoies dictate that range and useful payload are of paramount importance.

It’s nice to see some exciting new airliners coming into the market especially after the predicted doom and gloom 911 brought upon the industry.

Is there any information on cruising speed?[/quote]

Approximately 270 knots (About 310 miles/hour or 500 kilometers per hour)
More flight facts here:
http://www.boeing.com/commercial/777family/200LR/fact_sheet.html

Some more info regarding the 777 family of a/c:

[quote]Air France Orders Four Additional Boeing 777-300ERs
SEATTLE, March 8, 2005 – Air France recently ordered four additional Boeing [NYSE: BA] 777-300ERs through options it held from an existing contract.

The airplanes are valued at $920 million at list prices. Deliveries begin in April 2006. The orders were recently posted to Boeing 's orders website. Air France already operates eight 777-300ERs. The additional aircraft will be used on the airline’s popular leisure routes to the Caribbean and the Indian Ocean.

Air France will arrange the 777-300ERs in a configuration that supports heavy demand for service on those routes. The airplanes also will be fitted with seatback in-flight entertainment systems in all classes.

“The 777’s world-famous comfort, range and flexibility make it ideally suited for leisure routes like Paris to Reunion , Pointe-a-Pitre and Fort de France,” said Marlin Dailey, vice president of Sales for Europe and Central Asia, Boeing Commercial Airplanes. “We are very pleased that Air France has again chosen the 777-300ER, based on the successful in-service experience they’ve had with their first 777-300ERs.”

Air France took delivery of its first 777-300ER in April 2004. Air France 's existing backlog of eight 777-300ERs plus today’s option exercises for four brings its total backlog for delivery to 12 airplanes.(excert)
boeing.com/news/releases/200 … 0308g.html[/quote]
I do like the 777 for long flights. And I think Air France was considering problems about A380’s landing/taking off from those islands.

[quote]I read somewhere, not long ago, that they are planning on getting an aircraft with Bars, jacuzzi and what not?
That wouldn’t be it would it? Looks too small for that.
But that’s progress anyway![/quote]

That will never happen. They always put bars and stuff in the mock ups but in reality every inch of space in that plane is room to put more passengers and thus make more profit. I remember Virgin having a small bar years ago in First Class, but I mean small.

I was an aircraft engineer for British Airways for many years and the only planes that have bars, double beds, sofas and dining rooms are those owned by very wealthy people, mostly from the Middle East. I’ve never seen one with a Jacuzzi and I think that is probably a little impractical. Imagine all that water sloshing around at 35,000 feet.

That’s called the “Mile High Club” :howyoudoin:

[quote=“igorveni”]Approximately 270 knots (About 310 miles/hour or 500 kilometers per hour)
More flight facts here:
http://www.boeing.com/commercial/777family/200LR/fact_sheet.html[/quote]That was the speed during the test flight, they wouldn’t stress it too much the first time, I think it can go at the same speed as a Jumbo or other 777’s, Mach 0.84, or 895kmh at 35,000 feet.