Boeing foreign policy sucks

If it was Moonified, it would make less money, which would mean fewer luxury vehicles for the Reverend.

btw, are there Moonies here in Taiwan? There must be. What is the name they use here in Chinese? Do they go door to door or place ads in the papers or what? Anybody ever come across them here?

You can’t say Boeing is ALL bad:

boeing.com/news/releases/199 … 1012e.html

Unless, of course, they’ve got the same kind of PR people as these guys:

fpeng.peopledaily.com.cn/special … 00216.html

Quite amusing this whole issue but it could have been easily avoided if Taiwan would not have let themselves be pressured by the US to “force” CAL to buy from Boeing and thus CAL would have bought all the planes from Airbus instead as they wanted to …

Also read this regarding Lu’s planned visit:
asia.news.yahoo.com/030808/afp/0 … 14eco.html

And on politics of aircraft sales (also touches on CAL):
frontlineonnet.com/fl1921/st … 105100.htm

Well, when you’ve only got one country regularly willing to see you weapons. Maybe Taiwan should look into more trade with North Korea?

[quote=“Kobo-Daishi”][quote=“formosa”]http://washingtontimes.com/world/20030820-094317-1630r.htm

finally a balanced story from overseas on this sorry mess.

[/quote]

Dear all,

Is this newspaper a religious periodical? Inquring minds want to know.

No, it’s a

Boeing and China sitting in a tree, k-i-s-s-i-n-g. Like this article re: Boeing during the Clinton era:

motherjones.com/arms/boeing.html

Some quotes:

“Defense Secretary William Perry, after resigning in January 1998, promptly joined Boeing’s board of directors.”

“China accounts for fully 10 percent of Boeing’s business. And China isn’t just a market; it’s a cheap labor pool, and an increasing share of Boeing’s manufacturing takes place under the wing of the People’s Liberation Army, where workers make $50 a month and never, ever unionize.”

"Boeing’s China connection has been greased by its relationship with the Export-Import Bank (or Ex-Im Bank), a federal agency that offers below-market-rate loans to countries purchasing U.S. goods. So many Ex-Im deals have been Boeing-related that the program is known in some congressional quarters as the “Bank of Boeing.”

newsmax.com/archives/article … 2400.shtml

Well, heck, the PLA is also Baskin-Robbins business partner in the mainland.

Interesting MJ article, HakkaSonic. I can remember the Boeing rep here (and a VERY creepy person at that–imagine a SE Asian-American Liberace that would go on and on about “his gorgeous straight friends” and “what a slut” he is) showing off a letter that Clinton had written him personally thanking him for his success in selling planes here. There was a story about it in the Community Services Center magazine and one of the papers. (The center is largely funded, BTW, by um, US military equipment manufacturers, among other groups. I always thought it a little strange that a counseling center for expats is funded by companies that produce big arms and/or reserve the right to produce landmines, but hey, that’s just me.)

Not at all Flicka, people who work for those companies are the most screwed up, and likely to take advantage of the counseling services.

Did anyone hear the pan-blue TV channels say that China’s government decided to use Non-Microsoft software because Microsoft allowed Annette to visit their Seattle HQ?

Total bullshit ofcourse. They had decided before Annette came to Seattle. So, actually that might be the reason why Microsoft didn’t cancel Annette’s visit as well. China already told Microsoft they don’t want their software. :wink:

[quote=“lysfjord”]Did anyone hear the pan-blue TV channels say that China’s government decided to use Non-Microsoft software because Microsoft allowed Annette to visit their Seattle HQ?

Total bullshit ofcourse. They had decided before Annette came to Seattle. So, actually that might be the reason why Microsoft didn’t cancel Annette’s visit as well. China already told Microsoft they don’t want their software. :wink:[/quote]
I don’t know when her trip was, but back around 2000, China announced that it was creating its own Linux distribution because control of the operating system was the modern equivalent of the 1960s’ “two bombs and a satellite”. This was shortly after the Microsoft “NSAKey” flap, in which MSFT accidentally released an unstripped binary of Windows NT which was discovered to have two encryption keys (one named something innocuous, the other named “NSAKey”, presumably for the use of the NSA), provoking howls of outrage from anarchogeekitarians (and governments) everywhere.

This is just another example of how conniving the Taiwan media is as well as how clueless the population.

asia.cnet.com/newstech/applicati … 335,00.htm

about-cnet.com.com/2100-1012_3-5068050.html

wps.com.cn/

redflag-linux.com/eindex.html

This is just another example of how conniving the Taiwan media is as well as how clueless the population.

Asia.cnet.com/newstech/applicati … 335,00.htm

about-cnet.com.com/2100-1012_3-5068050.html

wps.com.cn/

redflag-linux.com/eindex.html[/quote]
Eh wot??? Neither of the above stories is sourced from Taiwan (one is from Singapore, the other is apparently from the mainland), and both of the software companies are apparently on the mainland.

The original story that I saw three years ago was quoting a mainland official (on the “two bombs and a satellite” bit). I believe it was in “Wired” (online).

Ah. Found it:
wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,33469,00.html

Note that “Wired” says the decision came earlier, as a result of some Win98 trackability issue. However, I saw this shortly after the “NSAKey” flap, so I’m guessing that that was more of an issue for the commie rats.

Where’d you pull the word “Taiwan” from in any of the above??

Sorry, I left out this part:

That China has been working on homegrown replacements for foreign software and hardware (like the “Dragon” CPU) has been known for quite a while. Remember the “Easter Egg” in Win98 when the Simplified Chinese edition was released in China? As I recall, an ROC flag would be displayed on the desktop on certain days of the year. Beijing was not amused. The Taiwanese “pan-blue” media grabs onto something and screams about the DPP and everyone here believes it.

reed-electronics.com/electro … me=0&cfd=1

:laughing: They should’ve also had it display a quote from and picture of the Dalai Lama on a few Tibetan holidays. :mrgreen:

I wonder if the KMT will also blame this on the DPP?

Japan, China, Korea may develop Windows replacement

TOKYO (Reuters) - Japan, South Korea and China are set to agree to jointly develop a new computer operating system as an alternative to Microsoft Corp.'s Windows software, Japanese media reported on Sunday.

Quoting sources close to the matter, the Nihon Keizai Shimbun (Nikkei) said that, if the plan matures, the three nations are likely to build upon an open-source operating system, such as Linux, and develop an inexpensive and trustworthy system.

The plan is to be proposed by Japanese Trade Minister Takeo Hiranuma at a meeting of economic ministers from the three nations in Phnom Penh on Wednesday, it said, adding that agreement was seen as likely.

Government officials were not available for comment.

The Nikkei said the recent spread of computer viruses targeting the Windows system was one reason behind the plan, as it has awakened governments to the need to reduce their dependence on Windows operating systems.

Continued at:

reuters.com/locales/newsArti … ID=3363256

[quote=“blueface666”]I wonder if the KMT will also blame this on the DPP?

Japan, China, Korea may develop Windows replacement

Tokyo (Reuters) - Japan, South Korea and China are set to agree to jointly develop a new computer operating system as an alternative to Microsoft Corp.'s Windows software, Japanese media reported on Sunday.

Quoting sources close to the matter, the Nihon Keizai Shimbun (Nikkei) said that, if the plan matures, the three nations are likely to build upon an open-source operating system, such as Linux, and develop an inexpensive and trustworthy system.[/quote]
Sounds like another boondoggle like Japan’s 6th-gen AI project. Why don’t the idiots just use Linux? It works, it’s secure, and they can even look at the source code to make sure there are no traps.