"Bogging" problem

Thanks for the tip Mordeth. This is totally off subject here but my scoot just started bogging on me for some unknown reason. It totally bogs off the line… and 3/4 way through the intersection, the power would [suddenly] come on pretty hard… Not sure what it is exactly – I don’t hear any weird sounds coming from the motor and the exhaust looks fine… I did get nailed by a godamn hell-cab the other week which sent me flying the f*ck off my bike… fortunately though, there wasn’t too much damage involoved to the bike (or me)… nor did my bike ever act up strangely since then – well, that is… until now… (the accident occured a few weeks ago). I had my mechanic go through everything… and pretty much anything that had even a minor scratch on it, was replaced with brand new parts (of course paid for by the taxi driver). :slight_smile: I walked off with a few minor scratches and black 'n blue’s myself… but overall no real harm done.

As you might recall, the bike is still pretty new. I barely have over a 1000K on the odometer and I haven’t touched anything that would have to do with performance as of yet (well, besides the brakes), so I’m not exactly sure what the bogging is about… I’m guessing it might be the carb or dirty filter? Anyhow, I’m taking it back in today to get that checked out… I’m gonna get a bit of work done as well (cvt, ignition, and pipe)… While I’m at it, I’ll ask about that diesel oil. Thx again. :wink:

[quote=“zerosum”]This is totally off subject here…[/quote]It was off topic which is why I’ve given it its own thread. People looking for information about hotter weather and heavier oil in future won’t want to wade through a bunch of posts about “bogging” problems. Likewise, someone with similar problems in future will find this information easier in a separate thread, not intertwined with the oil stuff.

Back to the bogging problem. I guess it could be a number of things. Mixture or spark plug perhaps? Why not get the spark plug, air filter, and carburetor cleaned and see whether that fixes it?

If it’s a transmission problem then presumably the work you’re having done on that will sort it out.

Bogging problems on a new bikes really sucks.

If you drive the piss out of your scooter, maybe the weight bearings in the tranny are starting to stick. Not likely with only 1000 clicks.

I’d go with what joesax said. Sometimes mechanics here will over-fill your oil when you get it changed. That could cause bogging too and far more serious breakdowns. Make sure your oil level is good.

bobepine

Too much oil can do that?

I’ve noticed that if it’s cold out, my bike never warms up properly and “bogs”. Always from a start or rolling start. I’d throttle up and the bike would “pissfart” around or judder then BANG the bike would shoot into regular acceleration and throw me back slightly.
Since the weather has become warmer, my bike has been normal.
(Kymco EGO 150 - just over 6000kms now and have had an oil change every 1000kms, if you’re wondering)

[quote=“TaiwanPsycho”]Too much oil can do that?

I’ve noticed that if it’s cold out, my bike never warms up properly and “bogs”. Always from a start or rolling start. I’d throttle up and the bike would “pissfart” around or judder then BANG the bike would shoot into regular acceleration and throw me back slightly.
Since the weather has become warmer, my bike has been normal.
(Kymco EGO 150 - just over 6000kms now and have had an oil change every 1000kms, if you’re wondering)[/quote]Sounds like it could be a mixture problem such as a problem with the autochoke.

Get the carb, spark plug and air filter cleaned and the petrol/air mixture set correctly. See if that helps. If not then consider getting the autochoke looked at.

Joesax… my apologies for the “off subject” deal back there – thx for moving the thread.

In regards to the bogging prob, it was caused by oil leaking over into the air filter box. Dunno exactly how that happened but thats what the mechanic said… The filter was totally soaked and it looked as if an elephant wiped its ass with it… I’m guessing that the oil leakage most likely occured during the accident since the bike was laid down for a few minutes… Either that, or it got knocked over for parking space…? Whatever the case was, the filter was swapped out for a new one and it runs good now. No charge, since it was overlooked during the initial post-accident inspection. I’m wondering tho, if that much oil got into the airbox – would this have any adverse effect to the carb? Mech say’s it should be fine… but I’m up for any second opinions here.

I also got all the extra work done (mentioned above) for just over 12G’s total. I wasn’t expecting much out of it but it runs much harder now :slight_smile: – I can actually lift the front tire a few inches outta some turns lol… next’ll prolly be punching the motor out to 200cc’s hehe :smiling_imp:

thx for the feedback.

No worries, Zerosum. Glad you got the problem sorted out.

Interesting that about the oil spilling over. Didn’t know it could do that.

[quote]Too much oil can do that? [/quote] Yes, it can do that, read the OP’s last post. With too much oil, you can end up with oil where you don’t need it, such as in your carb.

Too much oil will also cause problems on cold starts like the problems you are having. And possibly breakdowns once the big is heated up. I never trust mechanics when it comes to oil changes. The last time I got my tranny oil replaced, I used a cloth to wipe any oil drips to realise that I could unscrew the drain screw just with my fingers.

I asked a mechanic how much oil I needed in my forks because I had the choice between two containers. One was 90cc the other was 120cc. He suggested 120cc. Turns out that my forks need 80cc, not 120. I still had oil in the tube and my fork was overflowing. I would have had a stiff ride at best and blown fork seals in no time. :s

bobepine