Bollywood 101

I know next to nothing about this form, but the chieflette is starting to show some interest in it.
Is there a resource that can sort of get me in the door in terms of knowing the basic history, sub genres, trends, etc.?
There’s a shop near my place that sells DVDs, but I wouldn’t have the first idea what to look for.

There is a Bollywood radio station on shoutcast.com

Go get a delicious curry at Curria in Shida and watch the latest Bollywood offerings while you eat. :wink:

Address of the shop, please! I’ve only seen a couple Bollywood films, but I liked them very much (Dil Se, Kashmir), and I’d like to get more.

Also, I’d recommend that you visit Mobius Home Video Forum. There are so many knowledgable folks there, and they’d be happy to give some recommendations: http://s8.invisionfree.com/MHVF/index.php?s=87e60900de54f52c9eda92555f47bf2f&showforum=5

I found this link:
[Bollywhat? - The Guide for Clueless Fans of Bollywood Films]

From here:

[Bollywood - From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia]

Address of the shop, please! I’ve only seen a couple Bollywood films, but I liked them very much (Dil Se, Kashmir), and I’d like to get more.
[/quote]

Thanks!
If you stand at the T intersection where Sung Jen begins at Chung Hsiao E. Rd. (North of Mitsukoshi, beside the Easternmost exit from Taipei City Hall MRT), and look north across Chung Hsiao and a teeny bit west, you’ll see a sign on the secomd or third floor for some kind of Indian import stuff.
They USED to have a lot of DVDs there.
Sorry for the slack details.

Aaleja on Chunghsiao E. Rd. plays Bollywood movies while you dine on their fantastic Pakistani and Indian dishes.

One day, I’m going to star in a Bollywood film. I’ve got all the dance moves down already.

[/quote]

Thanks!
If you stand at the T intersection where Sung Jen begins at Zhongxiao E. Rd. (North of Mitsukoshi, beside the Easternmost exit from Taipei City Hall MRT), and look north across Zhongxiao and a teeny bit west, you’ll see a sign on the secomd or third floor for some kind of Indian import stuff.
They USED to have a lot of DVDs there.
Sorry for the slack details.[/quote]

Email jobi@trinityworldwide.com and he’ll put you on his advertising list. Here’s the last one I got:

Dear All,

INDIAN BASMATI RICE : NTD 175 / KG and NTD 1100 / 7 KG

1)Fujitech introducing 10 Mega Pixels Digital Camera

• Slimpix- SX 10…NTD 5900 / -
  1. 64 MB MP3 player with additional card slot …NTD 1000 only

2. Brand new Fujitech 5.1 Mega Pixels Digital Camera …NTD 3900 /-only
    ( 2 pcs -NTD 7000/- )

3. POCKET DV CAMCORDER …NTD 5900/-
    (digital cam corder,digital camera ( 5 mega pixels ),MP3 player,voice recordr, pc camera,SD / MMC card readewr)

4. Flash Drive (PEN DRIVE) - 1 GB/ 512 MB/256MB/128 MB

5. GRAND offer for DVD player + 10 movies - NTD 2000.00

6. Wireless Access Point - 54 Mbps

7. MP3 Players

8. 6 months old,but never used VIDEO CASSETTE PLAYER…Panasonic & JVC

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
1)Introducing new International telephone cards ( NTD 150 ) :

Pakistan : 23 Minutes
Bangladesh : 32 Minutes
S.Africa : 20 Minutes

1. SMARTONE & MKY …30 MTS TO INDIA
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

DVD of all new movies & DVD songs of most of all stars in bollywood

SONGS : Latest MP3 & AUDIO CDs

NEW MOVIES : VCD
TAXI NO 9211 ( NANA PATEKAR,JOHN ABR,SAMEERA REDDY 0
FIGHT CLUB ( SUNIL SHETTY,DINO MOREA)
HUMKO TUMSE PYAAR HAI ( BOBBY DEOL,JOHN ABR, AMISHA )
RANG DE BASANTI
AKSHAR
MERE JEEVAN SATHI
15 PARK AVENUE
TAJ MAHAL
DEEWANE HUYE PAAGAL
FAMILY (Amitabh,Akshay Kumar,Bhoomika Chawla)
ZINDA ( Sanjay Dutt,John Abraham,Lara Dutta)
SHIKHAR ( Ajay Devgan,Bipasha Basu)
JAWANI DIWANI ( Emraan Hashmi,Celina Jaitley)

===========================================================================
We take pleasure to introduce our company as a leading importer and distributor of Indian spices ,Indian spice Masalas,Indian Instant Food Mixes, Pulses ,Pickles, Snacks ,Sweets etc in Taiwan.

Kindly refer the updated price / product list.

Should you have any requirement for INDIAN SPICES AND FOOD PRODUCTS, please do contact us and we would be most pleased to offer our excellent services.

Spices are the STRENGTH of India.

Thanks & Regards,

Jobi Paul

Kindly find below our address in Chinese & English.

本公司專門經營印度咖哩,香料,休閒食品和醃漬物。

台北市忠孝東路五段137號2樓

本公司地點接近- “捷運市府站” 南4號出口(可以看到一個加油站) 直走即可到達。

TEL: + 886 2 27567992 , FAX :+ 886 2 27568042

M/s. Trinity Super Stores,
2 / F, NO : 137, Chung Shiao East Road,
Sec 5, Taipei,Taiwan.

MRT station : Taipei City Hall MRT Station,Exit # 4, Two Minutes straight walking.

TEL: + 886 2 27567992 , FAX :+ 886 2 27568042

Email : jobi@trinityworldwide.com

Trinity Worldwide, that’s it.
Thanks, Loretta, you the, erm, man…