Books on Chinese Management

Does anyone know good books in English on Management in China or Taiwan? What kind of idea’s do Chinese have on management?

Try the Romance of the Three Kingdoms.

I’m not joking.

HG

Buy a management textbook and put the word “don’t” or “ignore” in front of all basic principles.

Wolf has a BS in Business Management, did you know that? :wink:

shen Buhai is good on sound principles, but his philosophical school lost the battle against the confused idea dictators 2000 years ago.

I actually wrote a masters thesis on it. There are a few, but most of the literature is in Chinese. I will try to think hard, if you still need it.

Thanks guys.

The novel Romance of the Three Kingdoms (san gwo), I know, and yes indeed its a good source for understanding Chinese thinking.
I like the book: “Dealing with the Chinese, a practical guide to business etiquette in the PR” by Scott Seligman.

But what I am looking for are some books on management theory.
People like Peter Drucker, Steven Covey and Henry Mintzberg contribute a lot on the theory of (Western) management. But are there also Chinese management ideas or goeroes?

“shen Buhai”, I don’t know, is this a writer or a title of a book?

Shen Buhai was a legalist scholar.

I think Creel translated the preserved fragments.

When it comes to management theory, then most offerings here are translated from English - and the ideas not put into effect, except by the bosses here as a convenient excuse to blame staff.

There are many. Here is one about the structure of SMEs.

Shieh, G.S. 1992. Boss Island: The Subcontracting Network and Micro- Entrepreneurship in Taiwan’s Development. NY: Peter Lang.

Fields, Karl J. 1989. “Trading Companies in South Korea and Taiwan.” Asian Survey 39, 11:1073-1089.

Gold, TJ. 1988b. “Entrepreneurs, Multinationals and the State.” In Winckler, Edwin A., and Susan Greenhalgh. ed. 1988. Contending Approaches to the Political Economy of Taiwan. Armonk, NY: M.E. Sharpe, pp. 175-205…

Greenhalgh, Susan. 1984. “Networks and Their Nodes: Urban Society on Taiwan”. In The China Quarterly, vol. 99: 529

-----. 1995. “De-Orientalizing the Chinese Family Firm.” American Ethnologist. [volume]

-----. 1985. “Is Inequality Demographically Induced? The Family Cycle and the Distribution of Income in Taiwan.” American Anthropologist 87, 3:571-594

-----. 1988. “Families and Networks in Taiwan’s Economic Development.” In Winckler, E., and Greenhalgh, S. eds. Contending Approaches to the Economic Development of Taiwan. ArmonK, NJ: M.E. Sharpe. pp 224-248.

-----. 1988b. “Supranational Processes of Income Distribution.” In Winckler, E., and Greenhalgh, S. eds. Contending Approaches to the Economic Development of Taiwan. Armonk, NJ: M.E. Sharpe. pp 67-100.

Business Networks and Economic Development in East and Southeast Asia. Hong Kong: Centre of Asian Studies, U. of Hong Kong. pp. 49-65.

Hamilton, Gary, and Woolsey-Biggart, Nicole. 1988. “Market, Culture and Authority: A Comparison of Management and Organization in the Far East.” American Journal of Sociology 94 Supplement:52-94.

Kao, Cheng-shu. 1991. “‘Personal Trust’ in the Large Businesses in Taiwan: A Traditional Foundation for Contemporary Economic Activities.” In Hamilton, Gary. ed. Business Networks and Economic Development in East and Southeast Asia. Hong Kong: Centre of Asian Studies, U. of Hong Kong.

Liu, Paul C., Liu, Ying-Chuan, and Wu, Hui-lin. 1993. “The Manufacturing Enterprise and Management in Taiwan.” Discussion Paper. Taipei: Academica Sinica Institute of Economics.

Namazaki, Ichiro. 1993. “The Tainanbang: The Rise and Growth of a Banana-Bunched- Shaped Business Group in Taiwan.” The Developing Economies 31, 4:486-509.

-----. 1991. “The Role of Personal Networks in the Making of Taiwan’s Guanxichiye (Related Enterprises).” In Hamilton, Gary, ed. Business Networks and Economic Development in East and Southeast Asia. Hong Kong: Centre of Asian Studies, U. of Hong Kong.

-----. 1986. “Networks of Taiwanese Big Business.” Modern China 12, 4: 487-534. Naya, S. 1971. “The Vietnam War and Some Aspects of its Economic Impact on Asian Countries.” The Developing Economies, Vol 9. No. 1. [page]

MUST READ ON THIS TOPIC
Silin, Robert. 1976. Leadership and Values. Cambridge: Harvard University Press. Simon, Denis Fred and Michael Kau. eds. 1992. Taiwan: Beyond the Economic Miracle. Armonk: M. E. Sharpe

Steinhoff, Manfred. 1980. Prestige and Profit. Canberra: The Australian National University.

Hope this helps. Start with Silin.

Vorkosigan

Wow that’s an impressive list, thanks a lot!!!

BTW I visited your web site and found it very entertaining: the pictures made me feel

Thanks for the kind words!

I especially recommend Silin, Namazaki, Hsieh, and Greenhalgh.

Vorkosigan