Books You Never Finished Reading/Worst Books You've Read

I’d never seen this thread before. What a good topic.

I couldn’t think of anything. I almost never give up on a book, or walk out of a movie. But then I read the thread and you guys reminded me of a few.

Vineland - got what shite. I think I even slogged through about 3/4 of this rubbish to see if it got better. Pynchon’s other stuff better be pretty fucking good for him to have a reputation. But there’s no way I’m going to try and find out for myself after that one.

Moby Dick - damn, this must be the most overrated book of all time. I only lasted abotu as far as he (they?) got on the boat. What a piece of shite wrapped between two covers and called a book.

Journey to the West I quite liked Vol1 of 4, but gave up somewhere in the second volume. Too repetitive.Japanese TV show ‘Monkey’ much better.

Tom Clancy novel I think it was the one where in the movie Harrison Ford is fighting some IRA terrorists or something. Yawn fucking yawn. Remind me to never read ‘airport books’ again.

Now my original additions:

Beloved - what was the author’s name again. Who cares? I must have started and restarted this about 6 times, and got about 1/2 way, but each time I got distracted by some better reading (like the Chinese nutritional facts on the back of my packet of chippies).

The Iliad - maybe 10 pages and a skim to see if it was going to get better.

A few books I should have not bothered finsihing:

The Magic Mountain - is that the name? I forget. The one by whatshisface that’s supposed to be analagous to Europe and the paramount ideological ideas of the time. One can only hope it was a very clever analogy, because it totally failed as a novel (and took 800 pages to do it). Actually after Moby Dick, this must be the 2nd most overrated book I’ve read. (I’ll excuse the Iliad, because it’s not a novel, and its function is different).

Um, can’t think of any others now, but I’m sure there were some. Now the bit where I tell you off for not finishing books you should have. :wink:

Lord of the Rings - oh, finish it. It’s great.
Taiwan Oddessy (sic - should be Formosan Oddessy) - still one of the very best books I’ve read about Taiwan (and the author should buy me a beer for saying this).
Foucault’s Pendulum - maybe not everyone’s cup of tea, but I really liked it. But if you want some Eco, maybe Name of the Rose is a better starting point (don’t read that ridiculous Island of the Day Before though).
Immortality - hey, Kundera’s brilliant, but sadly, in this and a few of his later novels, he totally flops. Try ‘The Joke’, ‘The Unbearable Lightness of Being’ or ‘The Book of Laughter and Forgetting’. Those are outstanding books.

Brian

Beloved was an okay book. It took longer for me to finish reading it than books that are twice as long, but I enjoyed most of the story.

I hate to admit it, but I have no interest in finishing Setting Free the Bears. It has to be one of the worst books John Irving has written, replacing The Fourth Hand at the bottom of my list. Then again, I haven’t started reading Water-Method Man yet. Setting Free the Bears was so bad, it cured me of what I once believed to be an insatiable desire to read all of John Irving’s book. Same thing about The Imaginary Girlfriend.

The Foundation Trilogy, by Isaac Asimov, at about age 14-15. I picked up a paperback of Second Foundation, I guess because the cover looked cool or something, but I couldn’t get past about page 40 or 50. It began to dawn on me that there must have been a first book, so I went out and bought it. I didn’t get very far into that one, either.

The Hobbit, at age 16 (1970). I got to the part where somebody was blowing smoke rings or something, and I put it down.

Little Big Man, at age 18 (1972). I was a Marine PFC on the USS Guadalcanal (LPH-7) (no, I didn’t serve in Vietnam) during a Med cruise. I was reading it during some kind of “school” (I don’t know how they are now, but Marines were always giving little schools back then) about how to be an NCO, in case we ever became such, and an officer saw me and confiscated it. Great book, should have gotten another copy and finished it.

I read only the first volume of The Gulag Archipelago, at age 21 (1975), but in my opinion, the first volume counts as a book.

The Face of Battle (John Keegan) and Plagues and Peoples, both around 1980, at age 26-27. Both were really good, worthwhile books; I was on an extended bender, though.

I read two-thirds of Joyce’s Ulysses twice, at about age 35. At the point where I was pretty comfortable with his style–no quotation marks, sometimes hard to tell if the character is thinking or speaking–he took off for what appeared to be an even more drastically unconventional stylistic realm. It was very frustrating, and I felt my chain was being jerked, so I refused to read anymore. I tried it again a few months later and wound up doing the same thing.

There are lots of others. Too many. But I also finished a few.

I love reading books. I regularly take books out from my school’s library since I don’t have access to a public English library and I have purchased well over 100 books since arriving in Taiwan…most of which I have read. However, I have come across some real stinkers:

The Mating Mind: How Sexual Choice Shaped the Evolution of Human Nature by Geoffrey Miller - when I read a book on biology and psychology I don’t expect to have to sit through the author’s ego-stoking. Ugh. Verdict: unfinished, but I might pick it back up someday. Only been three years since I last tried reading it.

The Birthday Girls. I can’t remember the author of this book and they don’t even sell it on Amazon. I bought it at FNAC because they were featuring it and I needed something new to read (in the dark days before Page One). It chronicles 4 “birthday girls” at ages 11, 21, 31, and 41 (something like that) who are all supposed to be interconnected with each other. I tolerated the first 80 pages or so, but after reading the 11-year-old talking like a toddler and the 21-year-old not sounding much older, I had had enough. Verdict: unread and left behind at my old apartment on purpose.

The Giant’s House: A Romance by Elizabeth McCracken. Utter and complete crap. The story of a librarian who fantacizes about a young boy with a growth problem and eventually becomes his lover. I didn’t even need to look at the author’s picture to know she knew nothing about love or romance. Her picture, however, underlines the fact that perhaps she would have been better off sticking to something she knew: desolation and bitterness. Verdict: completed, but used as a dust catcher and never again touched after completing.

The English Roses
by Madonna. I know people already had it in for her when she said “When I started reading to my son, I was appalled at the lack of good quality books,” but I picked up The English Roses before I had heard this soundbite.
One of our kindergarteners had ordered it through Scholastic and asked me to read it to her while she waited for her mom to come pick her up. I love reading aloud to children, especially one-to-one, and being expressive, but I had a hard time disguising my disgust while I read this one.
It talks about these girls who like the same boys and wear make-up, etc. which might be appropriate for tweens, except it’s pitched at young children. She takes on a sarcastic, crabby tone as the narrator as she tells about poor, beautiful, talented Binah who gets excluded by the English Roses (4 boy-crazy girls) until they get sprinkled with magic dust and made to see her home life with elements of Cinderella taking care of her widowed father.
The girl’s mother arrived before I had finished, but I flipped through it to finish the story and came to the conclusion that Madonna has no clue about children’s literature. All this before learning that she made the claim that there were no good children’s books. Guess she’s never heard of people like Dr. Seuss, Eric Carle, Margaret Wise Brown, John Archambault, Lauren Child, Marcus Pfister, Lois Ehlert, Beverly Cleary, Don and Audrey Wood, E.B. White…
Verdict: Some celebrity parents can pull off writing quality children’s literature like Katie Couric and Jamie Lee Curtis (such as Tell Me about the Night I Was Born and Today I Feel Silly) but I think Madonna should get out of children’s publishing and stick to singing about sex. Finished, but I’m glad I wasn’t the one who wasted their money on buying it.

Perloo the Bold by Avi (spoilers abound).

The story of a rabbit-like race of creatures with blue and green noses living through a blizzard where their leader is dying and corruption is abound. Avi is a famous children’s author and has won several Newbery honors and the 2003 Newbery Medal for his books (the highest award given to children’s literature by the American Library Association), but he absolutely falls short on this one. I got the sense that he only did this book to pay his bills because there’s no emotion or even depth to this story. The plot is as transparent as glass and very thin. We follow Perloo the book-loving peacenik who gets accused of killing the leader who had been dying for a long time. Because the leader names Perloo as her prodecessor rather than her son, the son seeks to accuse him and throw him into prison. Oh, did I mention that there’s a rival race of wolf/fox-like creatures. The only redeeming aspect of this book were the sayings of their teacher Mogwat which were thoughtfully put at the back of the book so you wouldn’t have to bother reading the thing to find them.

SPOILER (if you care):

The book ends with Perloo joining the enemy tribe which turns out to be more like his own “people” than they think to warn them of the son trying to plot a war against them under false pretense. The son and his army, with their spears, arrive and challenge them and they send Perloo out as their prisoner. He defeats the entire army with…a sword? No. With a spear? No. He defeats them by…throwing snowballs. Yeah. I was :unamused: too.

END OF SPOILER

Verdict: Finished. Was going to donate it to my school’s library, but I thought it would be put to better use as catbox liner.
Just kidding. I don’t throw away a book unless it is too damaged to read, but I was seriously tempted when I finished this one.

Hit me with your best shot. What horrible books have you read?

I love to mix my reading; classics, non fiction and contemporary. I’ve just waded my way through Mansfield Park by Jane Austin.

Now, this is supposed to be one of he highlights of classic fiction. I just found it dull, plodding and completely unexciting. I’ve read her work before and enjoyed it. So, is it me, am I getting older and less romantic? Or is this a long winded, long worded, pointless novel? I read Hugo’s Les Misereables recently and absoultly adored it.

Sorry Jane 2/10 for effort.

L :smiley:

I enjoyed Mansfield Park, but maybe I’m just completely uncritical of the wonder that is Jane Austen. :slight_smile:

My first attempt at reading Terry Pratchett last year.
Soul Music.
The whole style of it got on my nerves. I can’t describe it…it’s this kind of deliberate funny style of writing. It reminded me of the voice (usually male) that they use in ads when they want you to think it is humourous. A little bit similar to Harry Potter, and I couldn’t finish that either.
I know a lot of people like these books, but they are just not for me.

And Maldoror by the Comte de Lautreamont.
The whole what I’m going to tell you is going to freak you out style is too much for me, and gets in the way of the action. I’ve still got it, and have started it about 5 times, only to abandon it somewhere in the middle every time.

Worst Book Considered a Classic That Millions Are Forced to Read in Schools Every Year:

Moby Dick

It wouldn’t be so bad if it had had an editor. There’s about a 100 pages of a cracking sea yarn buried down in there. But really, however fascinating a 30 page essay on the science of candle making may have been to readers in 1850, do modern readers really need to plough through that in this day and age? Melville spends an entire chapter - around 20 pages, if I recall - describing the color of the whale. Really. Writers got paid by the word in the 19th century, you know. Why write, “The whale was white,” and only get paid four pence when you could expand that thought to 4,000 words and get paid 4,000 pence?

Yes! I couldn’t finish Moby Dick either, even though I found the opening pages quite erotic.

Ooo yeah. That part where he goes on the properties of whale sperm, that gets me so hot.

(I am not making this up. There is indeed a passage in Moby Dick in which the narrator does indeed go off on how wonderful whale sperm is.)

Ulysses

fuck Joyce and the Guiness truck he rode in on.

Ulysses is for pussies. Real men drink Finnegan’s Wake, straight no chaser:

[quote]riverrun, past Eve and Adam’s, from swerve of shore to bend
of bay, brings us by a commodius vicus of recirculation back to
Howth Castle and Environs.
Sir Tristram, violer d’amores, fr’over the short sea, had passen-
core rearrived from North Armorica on this side the scraggy
isthmus of Europe Minor to wielderfight his penisolate war: nor
had topsawyer’s rocks by the stream Oconee exaggerated themselse
to Laurens County’s gorgios while they went doublin their mumper
all the time: nor avoice from afire bellowsed mishe mishe to
tauftauf thuartpeatrick: not yet, though venissoon after, had a
kidscad buttended a bland old isaac: not yet, though all’s fair in
vanessy, were sosie sesthers wroth with twone nathandjoe. Rot a
peck of pa’s malt had Jhem or Shen brewed by arclight and rory
end to the regginbrow was to be seen ringsome on the aquaface.
The fall (bababadalgharaghtakamminarronnkonnbronntonner-
ronntuonnthunntrovarrhounawnskawntoohoohoordenenthur-
nuk!) of a once wallstrait oldparr is retaled early in bed and later
on life down through all christian minstrelsy. The great fall of the
offwall entailed at such short notice the pftjschute of Finnegan,
erse solid man, that the humptyhillhead of humself prumptly sends
an unquiring one well to the west in quest of his tumptytumtoes:
and their upturnpikepointandplace is at the knock out in the park
where oranges have been laid to rust upon the green since dev-
linsfirst loved livvy. [/quote]

A pint of Guiness to anyone who can get through the first sentence and understand what the hell he’s talking about.

Twonavels; I was so surprised I couldn’t get on with it. Emma was a great novel. I wonder if there are periods in your life when you’re just more receptive to different kinds of writing?

Sorry I have to defend Moby. I just love the scope of the novel, the humour and the use of language. I’ve since read a fantastic collection of short stories of his. Wonderful, just onderful!

As for Joyce. WTF. I tried reading Portrait of the artist as a young teenager (who can’t get laid or tell a story) :blush:

There is only one way to describe it…

awfulramblinggobshitpieceofclaptrap.

And it’s only a couple of hundred pages.
Ahh, so glad I picked it up for $40NT

L :smiley:

I read one book by Lee Child. Just too many single word sentences. I’ve read one Tom Clancy book and one Clive Cussler book. I like thrillers but the heroes in these books seem too heroic for my tastes.

Lord of the Rings- also for the reasons others listed.

[quote=“Rubicon Bojador”]Worst Book Considered a Classic That Millions Are Forced to Read in Schools Every Year:

Moby Dick[/quote]
The bost boring book I ever read was Billy Budd by…yes! Herman Melville.

I never got through it. The only interesting part were at the beginning, where the author is describing the physique of a black sailor with great admiration (promtping me to conclude that Melville may have been bisexual) and that part where Billy kills Claggart.

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]Ulysses

fuck Joyce and the Guiness truck he rode in on.[/quote]
Don’t feel bad. That’s reputed to be the most difficult book in the world to read!

I might know someone who has a Moby Dick you could finish.

OK, Richard, I think finishing Moby Dick might just be my challenge for next month. At the moment I’m flying through Hemingway’s “A farewell to arms” which is just lovely, so I guess it is time for some fear and loathing.

I might know someone who has a Moby Dick you could finish.[/quote]

i said, “pardon?”

Haha…I haven’t heard “The Champ” for so long! thechamp.com/

I might know someone who has a Moby Dick you could finish.[/quote]

I said, “pardon?”[/quote]
The cartoon version of course.

I can’t criticize because I have never tried to read the thing, but I am three quarters way through Islands in the Stream. I only read it when I visit the in-laws. It grows on you.

I recently attempted to read (1) and Agatha Christy, Death on the Nile, and (2) a Louis L’Amour, The Quick and the Dead, [Not affiliated with that stupid Sharon Stone flick]. I threw both of them away. With the Agatha Christy, I kept thinking, “Does anyone ever talk this way?” and with the western, I suddenly thought, “Hey, I’m not female!”