Boston bomb scare

Seems someone over-reacted, causing a panic, and now the authorities are claiming intent and have started arresting people:

[quote][b]
Two held after ad campaign triggers Boston bomb scare

POSTED: 2:39 a.m. EST, February 1, 2007

BOSTON, Massachusetts[/b] (CNN) – Authorities have arrested two men in connection with electronic light boards depicting a middle-finger-waving moon man that triggered repeated bomb scares around Boston on Wednesday and prompted the closure of bridges and a stretch of the Charles River.

[…][/quote]
Article continues here

The “best” bits:

Wow, a light board of an ad campaign representing a cartoon character that had a very sinister appearance = bomb.

(Yeah, I noticed the battery and wire parts - but how else would you power it? With a nuclear reactor and induction?)

I agree. Ban all ads and commercials. I for one will be grateful.

Come again!? - Should they have all been placed on public property instead?

Ah, another target for the war on terror: marketing campaigns. Bring it on!

Fair argument. But only if you can prove that it was in any way intended to resemble a bomb and scare people.

But let’s make one thing clear: I have no problem with the fact that the devices were mistaken as a bomb, that the authorities acted on it and that the boards were removed, but to imply this was all intentional and based on greed is ridiculous. And so is arresting people for it.

Ha, paranoia …

I saw the device. it’s rad. I bet it was made in Taiwan. Conspiracy?

Here is the sinister character:

Everybody knows that bombs don’t show you the middle finger, instead they have a counter that runs down to 0.

Always entertaining to hear from Forumosa’s experts on all things relating to the military and terrorism.

CSB is really OBL?

That’s just the beginning man.

Dr. Evil, forumosa may not be comprised entirely of ex-bomb disposal squad members and thatcherites, but i think this story is less about terrorism and more about a wierd mix of USA paranoia and viral marketing. something’s scary because it has wires and batteries? come on.

And are you really a doctor?

Some updates.

At least the judge seems reasonble:

[quote]Judge Paul K. Leary told Grossman that, according to law, the suspects must intend to create a panic to be charged with placing hoax devices. (Watch a Web video of men placing the light boards on structures around Boston )

It appears the suspects had no such intent, the judge said, but the question should be discussed in a later hearing.[/quote]

Interestingely the light boards had already been installed weeks ago “before they became a threat” (and only in Boston):

[quote]Devices in place for weeks

Turner said the devices have been in place for two or three weeks in Boston; New York City; Los Angeles, California; Chicago, Illinois; Atlanta, Georgia; Seattle, Washington; Portland, Oregon; Austin, Texas; San Francisco, California; and Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

However, only in Boston did the light boards create such a furor. In Seattle and several suburbs, the signs were removed without fuss, according to The Associated Press.[/quote]

And the most reasonable view and voice on the matter:

[quote]In Portland, police Sgt. Brian Schmautz said officers had no plans to remove any of the signs, so long as they weren’t on municipal property. Nor had officers been dispatched in any kind of bomb scare related to the devices.

“At this point we wouldn’t even begin an investigation, because there’s no reason to believe a crime has occurred,” Schmautz said.[/quote]

All quotes from this article

Actually I was commenting on the parts that relate to idiocy and over-reacting, though I wouldn’t claim to be an expert in these matters. Glad though you feel entertained. :smiley:

Sheer US paranoia. The dude is giving the finger, so it must be terrorism right?!?!?! Hi-larious.

The articles I read showed topcops explaining that they’d found 2 pipe bombs the same day, and had ‘a confirmed report of a drunk guy mumbling that the end was near and today was the day’ — then when someone reported these devices, they all shit themselves.

Don’t you feel glad to be protected by the Taiwan cops now? I do… ahhahahaaahaha