Boxed lunches (Biandang / 便當)

[quote=“Dragonbones”][quote=“Charlie Jack”]Aw, man, you do that because you like to cook! :hand: :laughing: That stuff takes time to make, and it would take time to learn all those recipes (although I can make a jambalaya that’s good enough for me, and maybe a few other things like that).

I once (well, twice actually) asked the ladies at work how much time they spent cooking (they usually bring their own food). I think they said they spent a little over an hour for each meal. But they’re still cooking for families, I think. Later I asked the head teacher whether she thought it would be worth it for me to cook for myself, and she indicated I might be better off just buying biandang and the like.[/quote]

Sure, for a single chap, you might be better off buying biandang, but if you cook extra and freeze it in biandang containers, you can cook once and eat four to eight times; changing what you cook, you can have variety in the biandang that you later pull out. You learn what does or doesn’t freeze and reheat well. Lasagna is a good example of something still pretty decent after freezing and reheating. And sure, the quality may suffer a bit after this, but it may still be better than many of the purchased biandang, and even if you only make your own a portion of the time, it adds much-needed variety (IMO). :2cents: I’d rather have my thawed seafood paella biandang than most of the junk out there.

Anyway, I’m not pushing anyone who doesn’t want to try it – it’s just a suggestion as to one more option available. :wink:[/quote]

That sounds tempting, no joke, but I’d have to make some changes. :runaway:

My refrigerator is small (comes up to about my front pants pockets), and I’ve hardly used it. Its freezer compartment is tiny. I’ve been thinking about getting one of those in-between sized fridges, the kind that come up to my chest. But if I do that, I’ve got to commit to cooking. :s

The other problem is, I can’t seem to shake a feeling of tentativeness here, which discourages me from plunking down for durable goods. So for the time being, I guess it’s biandang and sandwiches. :frowning:

Sorry about the off-topic stuff. I’d actually be interested in a list of places that have the best biandang, especially if the list included Panchiao.

I’m strange… I actually like them.

2 Likes

Shit on a shingle, they are the lowest of the low. I like the concept of meat, rice and two veg but the execution sucks ass. Everything is room temperature and mushy.

I only eat them because they’re cheap(er) for the amount of food they provide. I use them as a bread/butter food because of that, however I do get sick and tired of them.

Ten years later, I do think they are still better deal for this NT$80. https://youtu.be/wSAGZyDjqsg

I’m looking forward to trying them when I can breathe better in KHH.

HKG is now suffocating me politically and direly.

Seems to me price is the main drawcard for the reviewer. Not a lot of discussion on quality or taste.

1 Like

I once had a decent one. I think it was Singaporean style.

What is Singapore style

Reading this thread makes me miss the Deuce.

@Deuce_Dropper, where are you now? I hope the coronavirus crisis is not getting you down.

Guy

1 Like

That’s how I recall it being described. It was sliced chicken on rice with a light citrus sauce. It was actually quite clean, light and fresh tasting as opposed to the usual heavy, greasy lunchboxes.

Perhaps some take on Hainan chicken? When that’s done well, it’s really nice.

Guy

4 Likes

naruwan

Possibly. Me misunderstanding is also a possibility.

Yes, would be and should be much cheaper here in Taiwan.

With citrus sauce does not sound like S’porean

I wouldn’t know. I’ve never been there.

At the last uni meeting, I ordered my usual vegetarian biandang. It was marked “No Meat”. The other teachers had pork chops or chicken legs on the top of theirs. Mine didn’t. Instead it had ground pork mixed in with the vegetables. :crazy_face:

1 Like

Actually stir fried fresh vegetables with ginger and garlic with buttered rice is comfort food for me.

1 Like

Did they get you another one or just ate it? (