Boy kills pig, is this for real?

[quote=“TainanCowboy”][quote=“Stian”]What was the kid doing with a gunn in the first place?

I think I read something about him killing he’s first pig at 5 years old.
Disturbing.[/quote]Stian -
Its called hunting.
Wild pigs are also known as wild boars. Wild boar hunting has been a European sport for a 1000 years or so.
[/quote]

I have ben hunting myself, but not as a 5year old. The law forbid it and a 5year old would probartly not be able to pas the mandatory exsam for hunting. We nead a theoretical and practical exsam pretty mutch just like geting a driver license. You have to be 16 to be allowed to hunt fox and birds, 18 for biger pray. You can shoot biger pray at 16years of age, but then you have to be lead by a adult.

Far as I know in Europe we have hunted Wild boar fol a livig for 1000years or so and not as a sport. As a hunter myself I think killing for sport is discusting. Once you start doing it for funn you should stop and seek help.

Namohottie thinks the north “won” the War Between the States. If you had gone to 6th grade in Fort Walton Beach Florida (as I did) you would have been taught that the War Between the States was a “draw” with a negotiated settlement at Appomattox which the North later reneged on. It is a pity our nation’s history is so little understood, it is as bad as Taiwan.

Col. Brian

Well said, there is nothing sportsmanlike about hunting an animal to death that can’t defend itself just for the fun of it.

I should add though that hunting is also often used in Europe to control the population or certain animals, exercised by licensed hunter and usually within a certain period of time only and with strict limits as to how many they can kill.

Its the same in the US… at least it is in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

Ditto in Australia. Mind you feral animals can be blasted at will, these include dogs, cats, rabbits, foxes and pigs.

But Commonwealth of Pennsylvania? Did they back the wrong side in the war of independance, or something?

HG

[quote=“Dragonbones”][quote=“TainanCowboy”]Also, they taste pretty darn good.
I have hunted wild pigs(boars) in 5 states or so and it is good sport.[/quote]
Did you get any? Hold a pig roast in the yard? :sunglasses:[/quote]DB -
Yes, the hunts were usually successful. And yes, several times after they were butchered there was a pig roast. When I lived in south Texas, in the Corpus Christi area, the family of the guy that I hunted with owned a restaurant and we took the pigs there for butchering, cutting up and they also would do a lot of cooking.
We inspected the hogs pretty close as sometimes they would be wormy. When we found those we just dug deep pits and buried them. We also would tell the local Fish & Game guy about it.
As Brian mentioned, these are tough animals and darn smart. And yes, they would circle back and attack if given the opportunity.
In Tenn they would get up around 250 - 280 lbs, same in Georgia.
They have been a problem in the Appalachians for quite a while because of their environmentally destructive nature.
In Texas the biggest I saw was around 230 lbs. They said there were bigger ones over in East Texas in the Big Piney and down around the Beaumont/Orange area but I never saw them.
In Az and California the ones I saw were in the 175 - 225 lb area. But they were pond for pound as tough, and smart, as anything you could find.

Stian -
I have eaten wild boar that was taken on private land in Germany. Hunted for sport and eaten for pleasure!

And I started hunting when I was 6 years old. Always taught hunting safety and weapon safety. I gave it up a long time ago, but not for political reasons.

Oh dear! The pig had a name, and get this, it was Fred!!! :laughing:

[quote]
Giant pig ‘farm raised’
The huge hog that became known as “Monster Pig” after being killed by an 11-year-old boy had another name: Fred.

Far from wild, the 450 kilogram pig had been raised on an Alabama farm and was sold to the Lost Creek Plantation just four days before it was shot there in a 60 hectare fenced area, the animal’s former owner said.

Phil Blissitt told The Anniston Star newspaper in a story on Friday that he bought the six-week-old pig in 2004 as a Christmas gift for his wife, Rhonda, and that they sold it after deciding to get rid of all their pigs.

“I just wanted the truth to be told. That wasn’t a wild pig,” Rhonda Blissitt said.

[b]Jamison Stone shot the huge hog during what he and his father described as a three-hour chase. They said it was 2.7 metres long.

“We were told that it was a feral hog,” Mike Stone told the Star, “and we hunted it on the pretense that it was a feral hog.”[/b]

Stone said he and his son met Blissitt on Friday.

Blissitt said the pig had become a nuisance and that visitors were often frightened by it, Stone said.

"He was nice enough to tell my son that the pig was too big and needed killing,’’ Stone said. "He shook Jamison’s hand and said he did not kill the family pet.’’

The Blissitts said they did not know the hog was Fred until they were contacted by a game warden for the Alabama Department of Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries. The agency determined that no laws were violated in the hunt.

Phil Blissitt said he became irritated when he learned that some thought the photo of Fred was doctored.

“That was a big hog,” he said.

AP[/quote]

Fred is dead. Long Live Fred!

I beg to differ. I used to hunts pests, pets, and other animals that were of a general nuisance.

It is fun using a 303 to kill a moving target.

Of course this hasn’t turned me into a serial killer who needs help.

It’s good fun going hunting especially at night. The US military like sto go hunting target at night too but they cheat now with night vision gear.

A lot of pests you can skin and leave the meat for the feral animals so they eat less farm animals.

OF course hunting chickens with a 303 is a bit of a waste.