Brain-eating amoeba infection kills person

New thing need watch out for when using warm tap water, use cleaned water

It’s incredibly rare. Not sure why anyone needs to do that though.

1 Like

For me seems not much trouble as I do not use tap water in Taiwan to wash my mouth/teeth. Also most hotels in Asia give it in the bath rooms for it.

It has to go through the nose, it seems. This person was rinsing their sinuses for some reason.

Rare enough for a single death in Florida to be reported in New Zealand - seems like it causes a couple of deaths per year. I remember also from swimming in certain bodies of water. Still, minor risk.

Never? The only place I’ve deliberately avoided tap water to brush my teeth is El Nido, because of all the coliform bacteria (:poop:) in the water. Most other places have been fine. Especially Taiwan. Seems quite inconvenient to always use bottled water?

3 Likes

This disease warrants further investigation there have been a few cases here and there

Even some guy was rowing in a stream that empties into Waikiki died from some such

We def need to know what’s up with this

There are warning signs about this at the hot springs in New Zealand.

Yeah, I saw a Tom Scott video about it a couple of years back.

Muslim/using water to help blow out mucus?

Not really a new thing. My understanding is that these can be found in still waters, and more like at the bottom. Am I wrong?

Can they be found also in Taiwan’s hot springs? I sometimes submerge my head in them.

A couple of cases worldwide are nothing to lose sleep over. If you want something actually truly serious to worry about and learn more about, it would be PFAS. The real dangers with PFAS should have its own thread.

The Environmental Protection Agency is expected to propose restrictions on harmful “forever chemicals” in drinking water after finding they are dangerous in amounts so small as to be undetectable.

The compounds PFOA and PFOS are part of a larger family of chemicals called PFAS, for per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances, that are widespread, don’t degrade in the environment and have been around for decades. They’ve been used in nonstick pans, food packaging and firefighting foam. Their use is now mostly phased out in the U.S., but some still remain.

Last year the agency lowered its conservative, voluntary health thresholds to levels that tests can’t even detect – a fraction of a part per trillion. In 2016, it was 70 ppt. Before that, it was even higher. As the EPA recognizes the increased danger of these compounds, it will mean people who were once told their water was safe to drink will find out it actually requires treatment.

3 Likes

wow yet again we discover something that was thought as being beneficial to be something from pandoras box.
hope they stop its use in non stick pans which are everywhere.

I’m so glad I was raised using an iron skillet. It means as an adult, I know that a properly seasoned skillet can be just as “nonstick” as one with that stupid chemical coating — you just need to let the pan heat up before you add oils and foods…like people did for thousands of years… My uncle was helping trying to sue corporations for Teflon being something that never breaks down and is forever in the water over 20 years ago. He failed so many times he gave up and found something else to do with his life. Now more and more people are aware of the problem with “forever chemicals”, but people still buy nonstick pans in bulk. And, obviously, the US EPA regulating such things is an infringement on the rights of the corporations, so unless we as consumers collectively refuse to buy things coated in such crap, our water supplies will only become more polluted. Every water supply in the world is already polluted with it, and 100% of humans have PFAS in their blood streams.

Rinsing your nose out with saline wash (by which I mean salt and water, not contact solution) is very practical when you have a sinus infection. But I always boil the water (which I already filtered using a proper filter, not a useless Brita) for at least two minutes, then let it come down to room temperature. That means I’ve condensed all the chemicals and micro plastics, but at least the viruses and other microorganisms should be dead. People forget that you “can” drink the tap water in the US because of municipal regulation, not because the US has cleaner water supplies than anywhere else in the world. And people who can afford it have additional filters for their home water on top of that (cryptosporidium, aka “OG crypto” was a problem when I was baby, so even though the city most certainly tests for and filters that specifically, my parents still have a specific, additional filter for crypto just to make sure, because paranoia isn’t always unreasonable)

2 Likes