Brexit

Fiance is only one part. A much faster growing business are IT services , which is mainly what I’m referring to.

Ok I am fishing a little seeing as Brian is such a good fisherman himself :smile:
Anyway a deal at least should stabilize things a little.

2 Likes

I don’t know too much about IT services in London, but London staying as the financial hub of Europe is good for me and good for the UK/London. It’s important for the UK because a lot of the mid and back office jobs are not in London for finance nowadays so it’s important for those cities that benefit from London keeping those front office jobs as the financial hub.

1 Like

Well certain societies are in based in London with a lot of money and power , I am not going to start this thread going in a certain direction though. :zipper_mouth_face:
Those same ones that are in New York😎

Stabilize the pound a bit. My biggest concern with living and working in the UK is the pound.

1 Like

In that guardian article I posted he makes out that Brexit - doesn’t even sound dignified? - is political, and the economic is an afterthought…to me it looks like an unfortunate misstep start to finish

For the record I’m strongly anti Brexit and pro crusher, and if you made me choose I’d go with the pro Crusher,:grin:

2 Likes
1 Like

He did not mention the UK making around 60 trade deals across the planet so far.

The ERG have accepted the deal, so it’s going to go through.:

“In the best European spirit” the EU took almost four weeks longer than Britain to make life-saving vaccines available to its citizens.

With Europe gripped by the second wave of COVID-19, Commission President Ursula von der Leyen offered a glimmer of hope Thursday (Dec. 24th), announcing that vaccinations will begin on December 27th.

The plan is for every EU country to receive vaccine deliveries on the same day, but after that - it will be up to the national governments to determine how fast they can be delivered.

The news has been welcomed by Member States, but the path to a post-Christmas roll-out day has been criticised by many for taking too long, with countries like the UK, US and Canada already having started their vaccination programmes.

So why is this? . . .

The European Medicines Agency’s (EMA) approach to COVID-19 vaccines, however, is quite similar to the normal licensing procedure, except that it is fast-tracked slightly. The companies must still give follow-up data and renewal will be needed following one year.

The organisation’s fast-tracked approval process has reduced the period for the COVID-19 vaccine from 210 days to less than 150 but hasn’t allowed for it as an unlicensed, temporary product, like in the UK and US.

But according to Germany’s Health Minister, Jens Spahn, it was a question of solidarity, rather than speed.

“Yes, France, Germany, and the Netherlands could have undoubtedly procured, promoted and approved the vaccine on our own,” he told the Bundestag on Wednesday.

"But we made a very conscious decision to go down this path together at European level, that we are stronger together. This is true in this pandemic, in everyday life, in taking care of each other, but it is also true in European solidarity.

"We are procuring this vaccine together so that all 27 have it available at the same time. We are jointly promoting the development and we are also making a joint approval in the best European spirit."

" British Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s father said on Thursday he wanted to become a French citizen to maintain his ties with the European Union after Brexit.

“If I understand it correctly, I am French. My mother was born in France, her mother was totally French as was her grandfather. So for me it is about reclaiming what I already have. And that makes me very happy,” Stanley Johnson, told RTL radio.

“I will always be a European, that’s for sure. One cannot tell the British people: you are not Europeans. Europe is more than the single market. Having a tie with the European Union is important,” he added in French."

3 Likes
1 Like

Pretty sure he has always been pro EU. Who cares?
Jackboot Johnson’s grandfather was a Turk. Will he be applying for a passport there?

1 Like

Finally, done and dusted, Brexit won it.

The game hasn’t started, has it?

Game, set , match
(I am fishing for a shark called Brian)

Boo :grin:

Happy New Year to all.

3 Likes

For this ?

3 Likes