Brexit

It’s all going so well.

BBC News - Driver shortage: 50,000 more HGV driving tests promised a year

1 Like

But will they get it fixed before Christmas??

“I didn’t vote for this clusterfuck!”

Sorry, but you certainly did mate. You wanted to have your cake and eat it too.

2 Likes

‘Europeans r stealin r jobs’.

Turns out ya didn’t want to do them in the first place .

Now they are trying to put truck drivers on the temporary visa list lol. As if a HGV driver who moved back is going to want to apply for that. I’m guessing truck drivers are in demand everywhere.

:sunglasses:

Before Brexit, Tory ministers assured the nation that the vast majority of phone firms had “no plans” to bring roaming charges back.

But now Vodafone, EE and this week Three have all announced they will reintroduce the fees for UK customers traveling in Europe.

New and upgrading pay monthly and Sim-only customers on Three will be charged £2 per day to use their monthly allowance from May 23, 2022.

This new charge will apply to 48 European destinations

As the Mirror article says you can’t blame driver shortages entirely on Brexit:

So, this one can’t be blamed only on Brexit. Covid is a huge factor, leading to disruption and a permanent shift in the labour market.

Here is an explanation from months ago why there is a shortage of HGV drivers (there are enough with licenses in the UK):

Getting worse.

There is what happens when you pretend to value workers but you don’t.

This is what happens when foreigners were not stealing British jobs, cos if they were stealing job, then how come the British haven’t been stepping up to do it ?

In an interconnected world it’s better to be connected.

Now the most ridiculous thing is they are offering temp visas desperately trying to get foreigners to come back.

2 Likes

:clap: Bravo Boris!

1 Like

1 Like

How much do lorry drivers make in the UK?

Not enough to meet demand.

I read 32 grand in the news last week. Not great when you consider it is a 50 hour week. Not enough

Probably enough if you’re a single guy from Eastern Europe, living in shared accommodation and sending money home. Now, not enough.

People are saying “we need to bring in more foreign workers” but, if companies paid a fair wage, there wouldn’t be any need to.

The focus should be on getting BP and other haulage firms to actually pay its staff a fair wage. Not exploit even more foreign workers by paying them a pittance.

1 Like

I mean 32 grand isn’t terrible. I was just pointing out that they are doing a lot of hours for it.

1 Like

£30-40k ish per year, depends.

My brother in law quit 5 years ago. It’s not just the pay, it’s the shitty services, facilities and infrastructure for drivers compared to Europe. Uk has been losing drivers for years.

British people don’t want those jobs because there are plenty of jobs with better working conditions available for them. Same in a whole bunch of service type industries.

Brexit has just accelerated this mess.

1 Like

The current situations proves it’s not enough. Just supply and demand when a large pool of cheap foreign labour is removed.

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1442385271031480325

So many of those job stealing foreigners went home. Now Britain is great again .

Some food supplies in Britain have also been affected by delivery disruptions. But according to Ian Wright, chief executive of the U.K.’s Food and Drink Federation, food and drink manufacturers in the country have been experiencing the “same serious labor shortages as those being seen across the food supply chain.”

“We need Government urgently to conduct a full survey of the state of employment markets to gain an understanding of the most pressing issues,” he said in an emailed statement.

“For example, workers may have returned to their respective home countries during lockdown and not returned [to the U.K.]. Some estimates put this figure at well over a million. If fast action is not taken, the impacts we are already seeing will worsen