Brexit

I don’t really know anything about the NHS (except that people seem to complain about it a lot) but if the UK remains in the EEA, they wouldn’t be able to pursue free trade agreements with other markets and they certainly wouldn’t take back sovereignty either. Norway and Iceland are subjected to pretty much all EU regulations, but they don’t get to vote.

I think it’s kind of hilarious that this free trade meme took on a life of its own.

I doubt your average John Smith down the pub was even slightly concerned about how free trade negotiations with X/Y/Z were going. The reality probably aligns a lot more to what your average Trump voter thinks of Free Trade.

Also the ‘phrase’ take back sovereignty or ‘take back control’ was a clever bit of political engineering. People don’t like to feel that something has been taken from them.

Soon they’ll be stripped of their rights as EU citizens…something that probably billions of people around the world would like to have ! (…And why many of my very British colleagues have been rushing to get an Irish passport over the last year…They seem surprised when I don’t try to lecture them about it…As far as I’m concerned if they are entitled to it then it’s perfectly fine).

I think the British govt are entitled to go for ‘ultimate sovereignty’ but what that means in reality is probably losing influence in the world. China and the US aren’t going to be nicer because the UK is the new kid on the block looking for deals.

Also with the UK being locked out of the EU services biz (something barely talked about ) that is going to be a tough adjustment. It’ll become a lot more visible as a No Deal brexit approaches ! The UK benefited enormously from full access to European financial markets even though it wasn’t in the Eurozone. Its not like China or the US is going to let the UK play that role…

2 Likes

‘Punish the city’

You voted to leave then you lose the benefits of membership, simples.

This is not an academic question , the City of London contributes a very substantial portion to government revenues every year.

This is why they should have seriously considered the EEA option .

Below is from above article…Negotiations have already gone to shit no way other EU countries will allow equivalence…

"Of crucial importance is the fact that EU equivalence is not something the UK can negotiate. It is something the UK Government needs to request. After that request is made, EU officials would then theoretically launch a series of assessments at their leisure – and after equivalence is granted, it can be revoked at any time. For this reason, the road to equivalence is most likely going to be fairly rocky from a political point-of-view.

However, it nonetheless appears to be the UK Government’s route of choice to safeguard the City’s global influence."

By average John Smith in the pub I presume you mean David Cameron and Boris Johnston.

People are still lapping up the lies though. I think the basic problem is income inequality, tabloid press, and the convenience of blaming the sky for ones own problems. Unfortunately everyone is going to find out in the near future that the EU wasn’t the problem at all. No doubt there will be a fresh round of lies then. Its like the weapons of mass destruction all over again.

It’s hard to predict what’s going to really happen. But I understand and even respect the decision to leave.

One down side I think is that since the UK is one of the more powerful EU member states, it’s going change the balance of power within the EU. That’s where I think it hurts the EU the most. Being left uncheck by the UK and letting France and Germany run the show even further.

I’d like to see an enumeration of just what rights they stand to lose.

EU employment law.

That’s not an enumeration.

It’s a bunch of EU laws. Could anyone break them down?

Managed to find this:

Seems to be mostly the usual stuff that Brits would have anyway, plus some of the sort of nanny state promises that no government can realistically deliver on (that’s the worker and health care part.) What I want to see is a breakdown of what concrete rights they stand to lose.

Oh, and the UK government makes some of those same empty nanny state promises, so they might not even lose the imaginary rights.

You’ve answered your own question. They potentially stand to lose the sort of nanny state promises that no government can realistically deliver.

1 Like

…You dolts missed the awesome right of freedom of movement in 27 countries.
This includes work rights in those countries , including your family and even including your non EU spouses.

There are billions of people worldwide who would like to have at least the right to work and reside in the EU.

1 Like

Yeah, but the people who voted for Brexit don’t care about that. It doesn’t benefit them for the most part

Passport, visa free entry. All the freedom of movement I need and fewer terrorist worries.

So on that front, as on all others, the EU is not actually all that awesome. Everything you can say in its favor amounts to nothing much. Why bother?

Yea for a UK citizen to bring a non EU spouse to the UK you have to go through all kinds of loops in advance (this is not unique to the UK), and have to meet income requirements. Some people are literally shut out of their own country over this. However due to EU treaties you can arrive - and reside - with your spouse in any other EU country without wind up or precondition. Well maybe not anymore. Thanks Boris.

2 Likes

Yes that’s exactly what I mean.

You aren’t even European lol.

Wasn’t this basically the case before the EU?

1 Like