Brexit

Hear hear! The 27 member states (population 450,000,000 +) won’t have a leg to stand on once they are isolated and shut out of the UK.

Places with a super large UK trade footprint – like say Birmingham – are really going to get hit and that will definitely hurt the EU for sure.

[First post after a long time. Got scared away by new interface. Included a penguin joke to make people welcome me back]

Wife and I are travelling to the UK in June. Most likely with my German car (living in TWN still though). Bought a “I love England” sticker for the front and the Union Jack for the back. Enough or will we get attacked by starving English citizens? Well, I could bring some baked beans in cans, in case the food crisis is on at that time.

*** newbies always get deleted. I am not a newbie, I am an old poster who just found his way back. Well… that depends if I get deleted or not. Read the penguin joke. ***

Edit: Signature nowhere to be found (it had the penguin joke). See, I hate the new interface.

2 Likes

The commonwealth is probably larger in population size. And ? What’s your point? oh you still think the UK is a major manufacturing base like Germany. No, no, no your post is behind the times and simplistic. And no one is shutting anyone out have you ever heard of something called the WTO?

1 Like

I was trying to agree with you… jeeze… feelings are a little hurt now.

Is your point that the UK doesn’t have a large footprint in Birmingham, or are you simplistic and behind the times? Have you ever heard of Birmingham?

Sorry if there are crossed wires, its all a little confusing.

1 Like

Hardly be starving, do you know anything about say for example English wheat yields per hectare. I think we could survive without Spanish water melons. I know Jamie Oliver might be a bit upset but I’m sure he could rustle up something scrumptious with spuds, leeks , parsnips and good ol British beef. Cornish pasties ain’t bad ever had one? We survived the blitz so I’m sure we can survive leaving the EU, although think of the terrible mess Denmark is in right.

Of course people in the UK will survive. GDP will take a hit.

Yeah been there twice , first time it stank and people were begging me for some chips while I was standing outside the chippy “Spare us a chip mate”. Second time was many years later and it was way cleaner and there were many mainland Chinese tourists shopping there and no chip begging.

1 Like

Any economic downturn is good for the environment. The UK is too densely populated, so a reduction in that will also be a positive.

I no longer live in the UK, so it’s easy for me to point out the Brexit benefits.

2 Likes

yup and house prices will fall, which is good for the lower end of society. People maybe able to afford to buy a cup of coffee from a coffee shop again. And we will he able to eat any shaped cucumber we want :slightly_smiling_face:
A much worse thing could happen such as the election of Jeremy Corbyn.
And better such as the departure of Jamie Oliver to Italy.

And indeed for the upper end of society, who will be snapping up lots of cheap property and renting it out to the plebs (and Chinese students).

1 Like

Are you putting plebs and Chinese students into the same bracket ? Where do you place chavs?
I think chavs are generally richer than plebs as they tend to break the rules like not paying tax and nicking cars etc while on job seekers allowance.

A lot of Irish are changing their perception of the UK , I mean professional and political people too not just the great unwashed.
Also the majority of NI which never voted for exit.
We see the Conservative govt allying with an extremist party throwing the hard won Good Friday agreement under a bus . Can’t be trusted. Northern Ireland is a complete failure compared to the Republic. It’s time for a united Ireland as soon as possible . But apart from politics this extreme form of brexit will damage exports and trade with UK for sure and cause a lot of extra bureaucratic headaches and costs.

2 Likes

Can’t afford much if you are unemployed. But I’m guessing you don’t live in the UK nor are worrying about getting a job in the UK anytime soon right ?

It’s not that simple.

I agree with a United Ireland even when my family was fighting against it.

Rather be spending our billions that we send to Brussels on helping the British under class. Unemployment rates are generally far higher on the continent and will likely stay that way post Brexit. If Britain goes full out no deal Brexit, yes I might return.

As far as the property-owning overclass are concerned, people who pay rent are all in the same bracket.

1 Like

Your comment made me laugh but also reminded me of this unpleasant man
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicholas_van_Hoogstraten
Hopefully he didn’t survive prison

The EU is shit. It’s a neoliberal project run by bankers and doesn’t work in the interest of the majority. I wouldn’t have voted to leave because no clear alternative, but can’t stand people pretending it’s amazing

2 Likes

That’s laughable. A real estate market collapse means all the borrowers would default, equities would shrink, expenditure would crumble and unemployment would surge. It would be a full-on financial crisis.

Good for the lower end of society my ass. Has 2008 been good to any one in the lower end of society? :roll: