Brian's Report on Taiwan Human Rights

[quote=“brianlkennedy”]Good Morning Cyber-folks,
It is time for my annual Human Rights in Taiwan report.[/quote]

Thank you for verifying the views I’ve been exposing for 14 years.
Only justice I ever got in Asia was carved out by my two fists or knowing the “Right” people.

briankennedy contradiction no. 1:

[quote]Item Four
The use of the death penalty is back in vogue now that Greasball and his various stooges have gotten all the political mileage they can out of the End the Death Penalty Plan.[/quote]

feiren’s rebuttal which bk never answered:

[quote]表33 監獄出獄及在監受刑人單位:人
2000 17
2001 10
2002 5
2003 7
2004 3
2005 3

In the 1990s, figures were in double digits every year.[/quote]

bk contradiction no. 2:

[quote]I am not saying Taiwan is some New Jerusalem of human rights; civil rights protections in Taiwan is horrible, especially for anyone who is not
Taiwanese
Male
With connections
And money

If you are not in that category (i.e. you are an aboriginal, a woman, a foreigner, a poor person, a person sans connections or just a regular Taiwanese Joe Six Pack with blue rubber sandals) you could easily be fucked over. Put simply the law, fairness, justice—do not mean a fucking thing in Taiwan. [/quote]

[quote]Item Five
As to the idea that there is lots of human trafficking in women and children in Taiwan, that is utter nonsense. The US State department was bullshitted into believing that by a couple of Taiwanese fake NGOs (i.e. NGOs that are actually tax dodges for some husband and wife teams who want to form a little NGO to launder money and beat the taxes.). [/quote]

Eric’s rebuttal:

[quote]This slave rescue center in Taipei is not a 501 © non-profit, registered in the US. Any donations made from the US to NGO’s in Taiwan are not tax deductible in the US or Taiwan. Furthermore, the fact that over 2000 escaping slaves are rescued every year by this mission alone, is indicative of the scale of the problem.
Human trafficking in Taiwan by Taiwanese and the enslavement, abuse and disappearances of thousands of migrant workers is a serious problem. The local authorities are unable or unwilling to address human trafficking in Taiwan. The most effective way to address this problem, is to do so in the US.[/quote]

bk’s response to eric- note the respectful and reasoned argument and how it so clearly addresses eric’s points- n o t

[quote]Take care,
Brian
p.s. the other major change is, when I was young most human rights advocates were basically sane, responsible adults—now human rights NGOs (in particular in Taiwan) seem to be a dumping ground for nut cases who seem to not even be able to hold jobs at buxibans. Of course I may just be getting cynical.[/quote]

bk’s only rebuttal to eric does not challenge the 2000 slaves rescued figure, it just says those ngos are greedy liars and eric is a ‘nut case’. i’ve read eric’s posts in the past: has he ever appealed for donations from forumosans? not that i remember. i’ve also read some of brian kennedy’s posts. now being an arrogant, foul-mouthed foreigner big fish in a little pond is in and of itself not a crime and doesn’t cause one’s cred to go down, but talking in contradictions and not answering rebuttals with reason and evidence- does lead one to at least question the credibility of the source (ie, what is up brian kennedy’s butt?). The Big Foreigner Fish in the Little Pond Syndrome, or BFFLP Syndrome. Know anybody else suffering from it? No one else comes to my mind at the moment. ____

Brian Kennedy has probably done more to promote human rights for Taiwanese than the entire DPP put together. It is only expected that his standards should be higher after having accomplished so much.
Unfortunatly, the self proclaimed poster child for democracy and human rights in East Asia, the DPP, has turned into a major abuser of human rights and many old hands find it more convenient to turn a blind eye than address the problem.

oh, i’m sorry. i thought he was referring to you as the nutcase. how has brian kennedy promoted human rights in taiwan? not a rhetorical question.

The name Amnesty International ring a bell? You might not like his tone or style, but Kennedy has a wealth of experience in the field of human rights in Taiwan stretching back many, many years. He’s not a “self-appointed expert.” He’s an expert, period. He’s probably forgotten more about the real human rights situation in Taiwan than all those NGOs he so accurately describes ever knew.

Whatever happened to AI Taiwan chapter? Haven’t heard from them in ages.

The name Amnesty International ring a bell? You might not like his tone or style, but Kennedy has a wealth of experience in the field of human rights in Taiwan stretching back many, many years. He’s not a “self-appointed expert.” He’s an expert, period. He’s probably forgotten more about the real human rights situation in Taiwan than all those NGOs he so accurately describes ever knew.[/quote]

that’s super. i’m really interested in knowing just what he has done- being a member of AI is great and he has written on human rights a lot. but what has he accomplished? notice i’m not doubting that he has accomplished something. i know a lot about linda arrigo and what she had to go through. was kennedy ever blacklisted? did he lobby congress? his story must be written down somewhere.

***Someday someone will write a recent history of Taiwan with a chapter devoted to foreigners who have made a difference. Maybe then someone will have the motivation to give at least a paragraph to what brian kennedy has meant for taiwan. i don’t see that motivation here to share that knowledge with me or any other forumosans. well, actually just me, since no one else seems interested in learning about him; and the people who know about him are not motivated to go beyond ‘he’s an expert’ ‘he knows a lot’ ‘he is/was a member of AI’. not much of an homage.