Bringing my dog to Taiwan from Canada

Hi guys !
I am hoping you can help us ! I am planing to do my master in Taipei. It would be 2 years and I was planing to bring my dog. I have researched a lot on import requirements, but my partner and I want to make sure we are not being selfish bringing her with us and that she will be comfortable in Taipei !
Is Taipei dog friendly ? How about parks and best areas to live with a dog ? Any information and help is welcome !
I can’t really picture myself leaving her behind either, two years is a long time! But I want the best for our pup !
Thank you !

I brought my dogs to Taipei from the US. I’m sure you already know it’s a long process that starts with vaccination records plus time with no symptoms in your home country and the quarantine process in Taiwan.

Taipei, like most cities, are not the most ideal place for a dog. Some breeds need a lot of exercise and it would be more difficult as you need walk around traffic which depending on the area can be super hectic or not so bad.

There are however several dog parks you can take the dog to. Our dogs were smaller size so they were fine. But I do wish they lived elsewhere with more green space to run around.

1 Like

Importing and exporting animals is a pain in the ass, and expensive too. I think back when my sister brought 2 cats from the US to Taiwan it costs 500 US per cat. I expect dogs to cost more.

Is there a way you can temporarily give it to another home while you are gone?

And if Canada isn’t 100% rabies free then expect the paperwork and quarantine requirement to be very harsh.

Thank you so much for your replies!

Yes, I am aware of the 7-day quarantine and she already has here vaccine, and titer test done.
No unfortunately I don’t have anyone right now to take her and I am not sure if I would trust someone else to take care of her for two whole years, but if it has to come to that for her well-being, I might have to.

Two years is a long time, I would bring the dog with me, if I was in your shoes.
Your accommodation - you would need pet friendly of course.

2 Likes

Thank you ! I am leaning that way, not gonna lie.

Bring the dog with you! Taiwan is one of the most friendly places for dogs that I ever saw. You have a lot of special parks for dogs where they can run free within a protected area. Lots of pet shops and vets, I met more vets with well-spoken English than doctors in a hospital.

I think Taiwan is a paradise for dogs, even if it takes a lot of work for you to bring your dog here, do it! Your dog will have the best 2 years of its life.

2 Likes

You wanted to give your cats away a couple of weeks ago, I don’t think you can give advice in this thread.

OMG That is so nice to hear ! Thank you so much !! :slight_smile:

1 Like

@SJ are you shipping your dog yourself or using a pet relocation company? I’m having this dilemma myself as I’m planning to move next year. Thanks!

Myself, she would take the same plane. The pet relocation company quoted me $13000 which is crazy expensive and I have some experience with flying with a dog so I just will take care of it myself. Where are you leaving from and to ?

I’m flying from SFO to TPE. I’ve never flown with my dog before but the reviews on some of these companies aren’t great. I almost think it would just be easier to do the same as you. My vet is pretty familiar with the process as well. I only worry about getting all the right paperwork.

Yeah, some of these pet relocation companies are recommending my dog fly to KLM via Amsterdam to Taiwan, which makes no sense to me whatsoever. SFO to TPE is just 13 hrs.

I personally have experience with West jet and they were great ! I don’t have experience with Eva air for flying dog, but it is an airline I do trust in general and I would trust them with the dog from what I heard.
I have to choose between Vancouver and toronto but Toronto is 16 hours, seems very long for the dog. Otherwise I would have to fly to Vancouver first, but the flight to Taipei is 12 hours.

Taipei can be great for dogs but you have to choose the right location. I’d recommend living near a river park or in a place like Neihu where there are lake parks and hiking trails.

Also I’m assuming you will not have a car and you may want to take your dog places, in which case you can take your dog on the MRT, train, HSR if you have the right carrier that meets their size/dimension requirements. Before I had a car I found this one that is suitable for all three types of transport whose requirements vary slightly.

I talked to the airline (eva) and they said there are no restrictions on when you fly your dog as long as you’re on the same plane with them, just FYI! I’m sure whoever you go with will have the same thing, but doesn’t hurt to check. I called and connected with their cargo extension. Definitely not going with a company, lol, just taking him myself now. Maybe we’ll see each other in Taipei next year!

That’s great ! Thank you for the update !
See you in taiwan next year !!

I think that shortening the flight time by flying from Vancouver would be worth it. Especially if your dog is the nervous type. It’s a long flight either way but shorter is better. I’m not sure what I’d do if the dog is the super nervous type as the noise and confinement alone in the hold would be tough on them. Big dog or small? Just curious as as it doesn’t matter too much but a big dog will need a big park to run around.

Okay thank you. What do you think considering that from toronto I could drive to the airport and then only have one direct flight, but from vancouver I would have to fly from QC to Vancouver which is an extra 5 hour flight then the next day or a flew days later go to taiwan from there.
She is medium size I would say, 43 pounds .

In that case, I would choose to go directly from Toronto rather than breaking up the flight into multiple legs.

42 lbs. Is probably medium large here. Should be fine.

Good luck.