Bringing my laptop through customs

Hi all,

I will be bringing my laptop with me to Taiwan, since that would facilitate contact with the homefront. Now, I have a few questions. First of all, do I have to declare it to customs upon entry,

and secondly, my brother has advised me to erase all my music and movie files, even though most of it is transferred from my own cd’s and dvd’s, because of the possible perceived copyright infringement. How common is it that a laptop is being checked on content by customs, or is this rather unheard of?

It would be nice to be able to chill with some good movies or music from time to time, ya know

Kind regards, and TIA

Lei Tuoma

You’d be a rare foreigner to even have your bags looked at, let alone a laptop.

You’ll be fine. No need to delete everything.

Just don’t look’m in the eyes … :wink:

Uhm, never heard of anyone having the content of their hard drive checked and if nothing else, speak foregin to the customs people here and they’ll let you get away with just about anything (except drugs and weapons).
They only search non Taiwanese Asian peoples luggage from what I can tell when I’m at the airport.
And no, I wouldn’t declare anything with customs, as they really don’t care and as long as you don’t act as you’ve got something to hide, I don’t think you have anything to worry about.

You should be OK.

If they ask anything just smile, nod your head and say…" Nom dé dju, y a èn hache din m’ tièt ".

I was picked out for a search… In 1995. Back then yoiu could only carry 4 CD’s in, I had some 2 dozen. You could only carry 4 kinds of medication in, I had a few times more.

The customs official looked at my stuff, and I started to explain, while removing the items from the suitcase one by one.

He started putting them back in, he closed the suitcase and waved me on.

I have not been searched since, however I have a hard time imagine that they will bother.

Looking western might be oggd, however if you look at the ratio between officials and travellers, I assure you that even if you look Asian, you are likely to be all right, if what you have is some music on a lap top.

My laptop has gone with me through customs in several countries. All they care about is looking in the case and seeing that it is indeed a laptop. They don’t give a rat’s arse what’s on the hard drive.

Shit, that wasn’t even customs…:doh:, that was security getting on the plane.

The only time I have seen Taiwanese customs give anybody trouble was for meats and fruits…other than that…they pretty much leave you alone…they are pretty reasonable…

The bitchiest customs I have ever passed is Canadian customs…

Yeah, but Canadians are the only ones they harrass.

The bitchiest customs I have ever passed is US customs…

The bitchiest customs I have ever passed is US customs…[/quote]

I have a hybrid opinion.

Bitchiest land border customs: US
Bitchiest airport customs: Canada

Amerika, land of the free, now seizes laptops at the border indefinitely:

realtechnews.com/posts/5919

ha ha, ahhh. off topic: My favourite was customs at Liverpool airport on the return flight from Amsterdam. The customs people just stood in a line and scowled at us as we walked by… I even heard passengers whooping for joy in the bogs once they realised they’d got through…

[quote=“Pluck-A-Duck”]The only time I have seen Taiwanese customs give anybody trouble was for meats and fruits…other than that…they pretty much leave you alone…they are pretty reasonable…

The bitchiest customs I have ever passed is Canadian customs…[/quote]

I second that. I arrived in Vancouver once and filled out the FRENCH language customs form (having spent a couple of years in Paris this was more fun then the English language version). I feel they didn’t like it in British Columbia. So I was asked to a pretty empty area where they searched everything. They even called up the company I was visiting if I was really going to visit them. You never heard of G5? G8? Why the hell would I want to illegally immigrate to Canada?

On the other hand. Its probably not so common to have a German citizen arriving from Taiwan that fills out the forms in french.