Brit in paradoxical working holiday/work permit related issues any clarity would be great!

Hi,

my name is charlie and was originally bound for a working holiday in Oz but my girlfriend lives in Taipei and we are currently trying to navigate the mysteries of the work permit and visa. important information is that I have arrived in taiwan on a visa exempt visa and wish to achieve any means and form to be able to live and work here. i would love to apply for the working holiday visa (yms) as i meet all the criteria except being physically present in my own country as it specifies for the application but i was curious does anyone know if you can try to do this in taiwan at the embassy or any other relevant office or I can do this via post in my country so can a third party i.e a family member can complete the application for me if I send and present the relevant supporting docs

my second question is if this is not possible, what scale of jobs are willing to process a work permit application? I used to run a restaurant back home and have a fair bit of kitchen experience and have read to process permits cooks are one of the categories allowed to do this? is it common for certain types of restaurant specifically looking for foreigners to grant permits this way or am I correct in believing this is all very difficult given my circumstance?

any help would be so great as I am so stressed trying to sort this out but appreciate I have not a leg to stand on but I fell in love so what can you do!

yours faithfully,

Charlie

I believe you need to apply in person in the UK, but for a definitive answer, ask the representative office there (whatever it’s called) and the Bureau of Consular Affairs in Taipei. If you do this, explain that you’re still legally a UK resident (assuming you are) and have simply fallen in love with Taiwan at first sight, or something. Bring proof of your UK residency if possible.

Thank you so much that was going to be my next move because legally I am still a resident merely travelling currently so haven’t expressed my wish to work as of yet but that would be the final goal.

Thank you for replying I really appreciate it

Btw you can read more about WHV’s here:

As a UK citizen, you’re supposed to get an ARC and therefore qualify for NHI.