British breakfast in Taipei

What’s the best one in Taipei ?
Can’t find anything decent

I never had a british breakfast. Can anyone tell me what that looks like?

There is no good British breakfast (Full English) anywhere in Taiwan IMO. I guess the right ingredients just aren’t available. However, the best (of a very bad bunch) I’ve had in Taipei is Carnegies, it is a bar normally but they do breakfast too. I only went once and never returned. I guess it is worth trying just to see.

3 Likes

That looks delicious, no idea what the black stuff is… looks like chocolate cookie or something.

But I’d love to have some hash brown in there somewhere.

The black stuff is black pudding. Pigs blood.

Is there really enough of an expat community to service this kind of thing? You’d think the Taiwanese would give blood sausage a go. I mean they have pig blood rice and many variations of pig blood sausage already. Plus that congealed pig blood cake that’s sliced up and used in a lot of soups. You can get baked beans quite easily. Even at Carrefour. But sausages. There was that German guy at Yingge that sold sausages but I haven’t seen him in ages. In any case they were more like German frankfurters. Not the traditional English breakfast sausage. And bacon here is a bit hit and miss. The bulk one from Costco is about as close as you’ll get but it’s cut pretty thin. Jason’s had a thick cut bacon but it was a small packet and pretty expensive. That leaves bread. Most bread in this country is boosted with milk powder.
So to answer your question no, not that I know of. I’ve made my own from time to time but I’m more a cereal and fruit kind of person in the mornings anyway. Good luck in finding something. If you do I hope you let us know.

I don’t think black pudding is commonly eaten in the UK, it’s more commonly eaten in Ireland though.
Germans have blodsausage or something which is kind of similar but not the same thing either. Texture is different. Black pudding has a fairly unique crumbly texture.
There’s hardly any expat community in Taiwan but interestingly there are at least three or four guys making 'foreign style sausages '. :grin:

My first experience eating a British breakfast was in a little side street in Ho Chi Minh City and I loved it! I found one place in Taoyuan that had something resembling it (of course the sausage and bacon weren’t the same) but they moved their location last year and changed their menu. Naturally, the British breakfast is gone :roll_eyes:

I’ve never been served a full English without black pudding, although I don’t like it so always waste it.

We don’t just eat it in restaurants in Ireland we eat it at home all the time. Just kind of different like that…My grandfather used to make the stuff and you don’t want to know the details of how they did that.:neutral_face:

2 Likes

6 Likes

Well even the breakfast sausage they use in the US (I have no idea what style they are) is not available here. They’re ok if they’re pork but sometimes in an institutional setting they’re turkey or something and they are awful.

There’s quite a few options for sausage now, like Churchill’s which you can get at City super or Tienmu Carrefour.

2 Likes

So, you’ve been to jail in the US?

1 Like

Yeah, I wanted to say exactly the same thing. Mr. Sausage (near Taipei Arena) is pretty good too.

Great photo. For me the black pudding is good but I like it with a big tomato and big mushrooms, don’t like small mushrooms.

Thanks! Wow… never underestimate the power of word of mouth!