British citizenship

British citizenship is hardly something to renounce lightly. The passport is the most prized in the world. Access to EU countries and the benefits of social security in said countries is not to be sniffed at. :2cents:

Born in Spain to US Serviceman and wife, naturalized citizen and raised in the US. Never been viewed as an outsider or non-American. Think the only thing that I can’t do is run for President (whopdeedoo). I would never give up my US passport/citizenship, however. But then I’m not married to a Taiwanese, have a Taiwanese child, or live or work in Taiwan any longer. As others have said, to each according to their circumstances. Good luck TT with the project with wifey.

Cheers Bodo.

I would say second most prized. I think most non Brits would choose the American version if given a choice.

The main benefit I’ve lost by being out of the country so long is govt. pension (due to lapsed national insurance contributions). I don’t think I’ll get a government pension in the future. Having said that, national insurance is just a state ponzi scheme in my opinion. In 20 years time there will be no government pension worth having. I also don’t think I qualify for unemployment benefit (not that I’d claim it) anymore, but from the many British friends of mine who’ve been made redundant recently it’s hardly worth claiming anyway.

Other benefits are, you’re right, well worth having. Wife and I are in the UK for a year, she’ll probably have to leave the country after 6 months to renew her visa, and if we want to take a trip over to Paris or Brussels for a weekend it’ll be complicated. I just take all that sort of stuff for granted.

I would say second most prized. I think most non Brits would choose the American version if given a choice…[/quote]

Most Brits polled wnat to move to Australia as a first choice. They see those nice holiday adverts from the Australian Tourism Board asking where the bloody hell are you?

:roflmao: No… Some countries just don’t need to advertise.

Australia is the number 1 destination for British migrants.

I can’t help but post this glorious paragraph from Wikipedia. Brits will need no explanation:

Possibly. No-one I’ve ever met has ever done it or expressed an interest, though. :idunno: Certain groups say they want to move to Canada or New Zealand or Spain, sometimes. It’s quite easy to go to Australia, compared with Canada and New Zealand, though. I find it very very doubtful; it’s just that they have such a formalised procedure, records can be found easily. I’ve lived all over and I can’t see that the media would have had access to any of my records.

That reminds me, I must get around to applying for mine.

Actually you are eligible to run for President as you are considered “native born” because you were born to a US serviceman (who if he was a US citizen for at least five years prior to your birth). So looks like you can run.

Im the same, born to a US citizen and Serviceman (but in TAiwan).

tommy525 for PResident . yeah… cant be worse then Palin.

:cactus:

i would say have the kid in taiwan because it is guaranteed to get british citizenship, regardless of where it is born.

As long as one of the parents is British at the time of birth then the child is British too. Even if the parents renounce their citizenship the next day it should be OK, but I’d have the birth placed in the foreign births register before I did that. That’ll make getting a passport easier in the future. I’d have it in the UK though so that its Britishness to its offspring if they too happen to be born outside the UK.

On the other hand, the UK might have ceased to exist by then.

Thanks LL. We’ve made the decision to have a kid in the UK if possible, all up to biology now.

Ours is dual nationality – Taiwanese and British – that’s to say he has a Brit and and a Taiwanker passport. That is NOT to say he has Brit citizenship. I do believe he has other hoops to leap through before he gets Brit citizenship.