Brits here in Taiwan, do you speak MLE (aka Urban British English or UBE)

So how true is this and what is the age cutoff.

1 Like

What’s a good example sentence wise?

4 Likes

Done me up like a kipper.

1 Like

I don’t. 51

1 Like

?

I left England in 2003. Almost none of the vocabulary examples in there sound familiar to me. When I go back to visit I often overhear entire conversations that I can’t make any sense of.

4 Likes

If you watch some of the documentaries on grime on YouTube you can hear some good examples. Or just watch Big Nasties tv show (also on YouTube). It’s fascinating stuff. Especially the use of “man” in the first person. Very confusing till you realize what’s going on.

How does this relate to Estuary English?

“Then, brothers, it came. Oh, bliss, bliss and heaven. I lay all nagoy to the ceiling, my gulliver on my rookers on the pillow, glazzies closed, rot open in bliss, slooshying the sluice of lovely sounds. Oh, it was gorgeousness and gorgeosity made flesh.”

5 Likes

What is a Brit ? Some sort of cream cracker?

2 Likes

37 not from London. I would say I know maybe a third of those words. Words like bruv, jack, hench, safe, innit, were in use 20 years ago all over the country.

The regularisation of was/were is normal where I’m from. So is pronouncing th as f or v.

Through…frough

Brother…bruvva.

1 Like

Clockwork?

But of course.

Nice! Though I prefer this version:

(George) Bernard Shaw’s Pygmalion

Would you suppose it (the book) influenced trainspotting? I always thought the endings were very similar. Read/watched clockwork, watched trainspotting.

Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels is set among the London criminal underworld, and uses not only Cockney rhyming slang, but also special patois common only to them.

1 Like
2 Likes

And you think my typing is horrendous…?

I grew up in London, can understand 50%. Learnt a lot recently from the Chicken Connoisseur on YouTube

1 Like