Brits here in Taiwan, do you speak MLE (aka Urban British English or UBE)

Yup

Stormzy (musical artist) and the whole grime scene is probably a good resource for MLE usage.

But why? :rofl:

Ite geeez ye u kno it, u get me?

British English already peaked anyway. Tons of fantastic words. Bloke. Geezer. Mate. Innit. Twat. Knackered.

Wish I had more opportunity to use these fine words out here. I said cock-up the other day and my gf was just dumbfounded.

4 Likes

Ay bruv!

I am coining a new term for those of us with a complex social background:

multi-slang-ual

(Ye ken it aight first, amirite?)
(Sheet mon, it irieā€¦)

:joy:

She was flabbergasted.

You canā€™t use the term knackered anymore apparently.

1 Like

Why not? Horses are offended?

4 Likes

so is this MLE?

lots of silly videos from this guy

1 Like

Got her knackers in a twist. :smirk:

Is it because knacker is a slur against travellers?

Knacker is the (not very nice) term we use in Ireland for travellers. Knackered is now being outlawed cos of this. :face_with_spiral_eyes:
Even though we arenā€™t referring to travellers when we say knackered. Which is what Dermot Kennedy was explaining and he still got a ā€˜cancelation noticeā€™.

1 Like

Am I understanding right that when asked for examples of Irish slang, he offered an ethnic slur :no_mouth: Probably not the quickest thinking :slight_smile:

1 Like

For fuck sake. Canā€™t we keep this, like weā€™ve kept fag for cigarettes?

Iā€™m starting to see how it happens that younger people think older people are more offensive/racist than they are. It quite possibly isnā€™t that they have become offensive or bigoted, itā€™s just that the goalposts have changed.

As my friend put it the other day, there will probably be some retrospect on the current period and there will be atrocities that we will be blamed for.

ā€œYou threw a laptop out the window after reading a forum post on a forum about a country that you donā€™t live in? Did you not consider the environmental impact of that/safety of the bricks that it landed on/the rights of the laptop itself to become a sentient being? Isnā€™t it cultural appropriation to be a forum member if you donā€™t live there?!ā€ :smiley:

4 Likes

Iā€™ve done a bit of googling and it seems the job of a knacker was considered low-level. I assume thatā€™s why the travelling community are called it by people who dislike them in Ireland. Itā€™s all news to me, but interesting to learn something new.

1 Like

They were called tinkers or knackers because thatā€™s what they did. They travelled the country fixing pots and pans made of tin.
Knackered things, or knick knacks?
I never really connected the word knackered with them though. Anyway its another one thatā€™s going to 86ed from our vocab.

3 Likes

At junior school we werenā€™t allowed to say, ā€œknackered,ā€ because it has the meaning to be sexually exhausted. I was at junior school from 1981 to 1988 for historical reference.

Comparing British English to American English often highlights just how culturally restricted North Americans are when it comes to knowing about the outside world.

A very good, worldly wise friend from New York didnā€™t know the word doddle yesterday. I was surprised.

My favourite English slang expression is knob head. Itā€™s constantly usable.

3 Likes

? That"s a new one on me, what does that mean?

To merk someone.

Take a dish off a menu, isnā€™t it?

2 Likes

According to Google a knacker killed horses.

1 Like