BROADBAND: What you get and what you are paying

hmmm … i’m paying 2500 alone for a static ip from hinet

I have hinet 768K down, and 128k up on a static IP for 1900.

This isn’t for a T1 line, is it? I live in the boondocks, and I can’t get adsl or cable here, but T1 is possible. I would consider it if it’s 2500 a month (I’m probably dreaming, right?).

No its not a t1 line. Its only a 1.5/512 adsl line with the modem hacked so I never dial up. Too expensive I think and as soon as I get time I’ll try a see if there is a cheaper option.

But despite the price its still light years ahead of whats available in Bangkok - was thinking of moving there - this kind of service is pretty much unheard of unless you want to mortgage your house.

This isn’t for a T1 line, is it? I live in the boondocks, and I can’t get adsl or cable here, but T1 is possible. I would consider it if it’s 2500 a month (I’m probably dreaming, right?).[/quote]

It’s not a T1. It costs as much as it does, because it’s a static IP, meaning, it’s always on, and you don’t have to dial up.

This isn’t for a T1 line, is it? I live in the boondocks, and I can’t get adsl or cable here, but T1 is possible. I would consider it if it’s 2500 a month (I’m probably dreaming, right?).[/quote]

It’s not a T1. It costs as much as it does, because it’s a static IP, meaning, it’s always on, and you don’t have to dial up.[/quote]
My cable connection is always on, and I don’t have to dial up. As I said, it costs me 300NT a month.

Although it does seem to get clogged up from time to time (less so recently) it’s much faster than I ever got from dial-up with a 56k modem.

It’s not a T1. It costs as much as it does, because it’s a static IP, meaning, it’s always on, and you don’t have to dial up.[/quote]
My cable connection is always on, and I don’t have to dial up. As I said, it costs me 300NT a month.

Although it does seem to get clogged up from time to time (less so recently) it’s much faster than I ever got from dial-up with a 56k modem.[/quote]

Cable is different from ADSL in that it’s a shared line. You share it with whoever shares your cable access point. It could be your floor, your building, or your neighborhood. So, as more and more people use it, the slower it gets. There are also security issues, but the average person doesn’t need to worry about this.

On the other hand, ADSL comes in on your phone line, and you are the only one on that piece of bandwidth. So, it doesn’t matter how many people are using ADSL in your area, the speed is still the same, depending on what speed you paid for. Static IP costs more, because that IP is dedicated to you even when you aren’t using it. With the dialup dynamic IPs, when you are not using it, that IP is freed for someone else to use.

[forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … 563#153563](Hinet - free web space? Translate please

Help.

Well, so this is pretty neat, someone from ChungHwa Telecom just called me, and told me that I could get 3 static IPs, 2M down and 384K up for NT$1500 a month, and asked if I wanted to change my plan. On top of that, they’ll throw in either a wireless AP and wireless LAN card, or an internal DVD burner.

The catch is that there is a NT$200 one time set up fee, and requires you to sign a 2 year contract which costs NT$3000 to break. I figured what the heck, if I cancel before 2 years is up, compared to my current plan, it will pay for itself in 8 months. If I stay on for the full 2 years, then even better.

hi guys can you apply for adsl with national health card and passport?

All your questions should be solved here:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=98955