Brothels/Prostitution in Taiwan

I have a few questions regarding the sale of sex in Taiwan. First, is it legal? I read the Apple Daily and it frequently discusses Salons being raided by cops, and prostitutes from China and Nam.
On the other hand, it seems KTV’s are legit here where the local dudes go to play. Also, whats with the love motels if it is illegal?
How can this society seem so conservative on one hand, with these sexual underpinnings everywhere?
Please explain.

[quote=“Jim Hawkins”]I have a few questions regarding the sale of sex in Taiwan. First, is it legal? I read the Apple Daily and it frequently discusses Salons being raided by cops, and prostitutes from China and Nam.
On the other hand, it seems KTV’s are legit here where the local dudes go to play. Also, whats with the love motels if it is illegal?
[/quote]

Illegal. But so are teaching demos.

KTV girls are no different than high end strippers in the states. Its not their job to give you a happy ending…but they will be happy to if you give them the cash.

Love hotels are a great place to take your wife.

[quote=“Jim Hawkins”]
How can this society seem so conservative on one hand, with these sexual underpinnings everywhere?
Please explain.[/quote]

Thats what repression does to you. “A demon ignored is a god born.”

“TAIPEI, Taiwan, Nov. 19, 2011 (UPI) – Although Taiwan recently legalized prostitution in designated red-light districts, the trade remains largely underground, officials say. Under the Social Order Maintenance Act, which went into effect in early November, prostitution was legalized in red-light districts; however, no local governments have been willing to establish these zones, effectively keeping prostitution illegal throughout Taiwan, CNN reported.”

Read more: upi.com/Top_News/World-News/ … z336uyHZjw

Just look for the red lights.

[quote=“Jim Hawkins”]I have a few questions regarding the sale of sex in Taiwan. First, is it legal? I read the Apple Daily and it frequently discusses Salons being raided by cops, and prostitutes from China and Nam.
Please explain.[/quote]

Have one of the old men you want to fight take you there.

Sorry, this isn’t Nevada… on similar topic… funny how prostitution is legal in Nevada but the city inside Nevada, Las Vegas, is illegal…

KTVs get busted all the time too, especially if their monthly red envelopes are late.

1 Like

[quote=“Jim Hawkins”] How can this society seem so conservative on one hand, with these sexual underpinnings everywhere?
Please explain.[/quote]

That is an interesting question, and observation. In my opinion, Taiwan practices selective enforcement of the laws. By that I mean a lot of things are technically illegal on the books, but they selectively enforce what they choose.

When I took my TW drivers license test was amazed at how strict the driving test was done (I have rantings on this subject in the car area), they cut you no slack, super strict enforcing the rules, but when you drive down any street, well you can see for yourself, no enforcement.

They have strict laws on licenses for bars, restaurants, and other businesses. Here in Taichung a few years ago there was a deadly fire in a night club in which 9 people died. They then went and did all the building and license inspections and shut down 200-300 businesses, most of them had no license at all. Then when the owners legally applied, they refused to give them a license, often telling them there were too many of those types of businesses that neighborhood.

As for the KTVs and others, do not be surprised to see some off duty policemen going there after hours who just love to sing.

1 Like

[quote=“Jim Hawkins”]
How can this society seem so conservative on one hand[/quote]

Just dig a little deeper and you will be suprised (maybe shocked…) what you will come across here. E.g. some of these sites that advertise actually note the conservatism in regards to services offered and then go ahead and pimp out 19 year old school girls… uhm - something is wrong with that imo… And there is a lot more than just that… So in this regard, imo. Taiwan shows a lot of hypocriteism.

The more traditional society is, the more employment opportunities in the “entertainment” industry.

2 Likes
1 Like

19 years old in school? Does school run until 25 these days? gtfo

Just how common and de-stigmatized is prostitution here? I get the feeling it’s super common, either with KTV girls or whatever.

I had a match on a dating app turn out to be an obvious prostitute. She had an instagram that said she does full body massage with “extra services”. Me and a (female) friend were talking about it as I was having the conversation with her on Tinder. My friend’s male friends get prostitutes frequently it seems, and my friend said she wouldn’t even mind knowing if her bf had been to prostitutes before they met. She actually encourages me to go to one. I’m sure she’s not the norm, but…

She said her friends pay about $500/night for KTV girls. This Tinder girl said $100 for a “body massage” altho it was made clear that wasn’t what we were talking about, so I dunno. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t tempted, despite it being something I’d have never have considered in the US. The girl wanted me to meet her at her place of work, and I said nope, I don’t really want to be robbed or something. It is the internet… (I figure also, the person running the account might not be the girl that actually does the “massages”). I’d feel awkward going to a place like that, but out of curiosity only, do some of these girls lure guys into some kind of shakedown? I sure wouldn’t trust a prostitute not to steal my phone or something, but I’m just curious about the whole thing. As mentioned in the thread here, it seems openly advertised in some places but I also see news of raids and such. I dunno if they bother to do stings like they do in the US tho, with undercovers.

Also curious on the safety side of things cause there’s this other girl I matched with who I don’t think is a prostitute but seems a little shady, and we might grab a drink tomorrow. I usually avoid shady people just as a matter of principle, but lately :man_shrugging: