Brother and sister constantly fighting

I wonder whats up with this and if it is typical here in Taiwan. I Live with a brother and sister in a large apartment--get my room in exchange for teaching them. It seems they fight and argue on a daily basis over things like which music to listen to, who should cook what, which variety show to watch on t.v. in the evening, air-con too high/too low etc....... Sometimes these arguments get to a point of physical fighting. The other day the sister was threatening the brother with a kitchen knife because he had thrown out some of her C.D.s which he said were “poor music choice”. Naturally she was very angry and I had to agree that the brother had no right to do this.
I doubt she had any intention to really use the knife but just wanted to show she was very angry.
I was under the impression that Taiwanese families got along quite well.
What should I make of this situation?

How old are they? They are really family really?

maybe I should have made it more clear.The brother and sister live in Taipei and their parents are in Chiayi and visit once a month.
They are definately brother and sister, both in their early 30`s.

When I first read this I thought maybe you were living with 10-year-olds. These people are in their 30s and act like this? Move out and get away from these nutheads, unless free rent is worth putting up with this crap.

A much more fun idea would be to fuck with their stuff when they’re out – hide stuff belonging to the sister in the brother’s room and vice versa, and REALLY set them off on each other. Much more entertaining than local TV, that’s for sure.

While your suggestion is really interesting, I wonder if these people aren’t capable of some violence to the foreigner living with them?

Fu*k with their stuff, but hide the kitchen knives really well :wink:

SOunds to me like these 2 and yourself need some serious chillin out from the city.
Also you could end up in some trouble if someone gets hurt there.
Tell you what; you want to get away and just chill out a while? you come on over to Green Island (Griggs Island/G.I).
You are in a negative trippy situation and what you need is a positive trippy situation here on G.I.
Check my user details for more info on it dude. :unamused:

Attention!! That is definately NOT typical here, I mean at least not for siblings in their 30’s!!! :shock:

Do you teach both of them English all together? If so and if you want to help, you may use this kind of family affairs as the topics of your class, such as how to respect privacy, what’s the ideal brother-sister relationship in their views, how to get along with people they don’t like, etc… Force them to use their brains to make life better, god damned it! :frowning:

[/b] Well, is her music selection, in actuality, really bad? Maybe there is reason for this. What do people in their 30s listen to in this household? :unamused:

What exactly is typical for Taiwanese siblings living together in their 30s? In most other parts of the World, they would be considered “Losers.” Are you saying that all Taiwanese are prim and proper? What about all the whore houses in different forms…KTV, Talking Bars, Barber Shops, Dance Clubs, go into any hotel, and the phone rings before you can sit down for a ‘spicey’ girl. What exactly is the “proper” Taiwanese way to go? :shock:

[quote=“B.B.”]Attention!! That is definately NOT typical here, I mean at least not for siblings in their 30’s!!! :shock:

B.B. I have talked to them and tried to make them get along but it doesnt last for long. One moment they are fighting and the next they are just like best friends sitting in one or the others room chatting and snacking. They sometimes even nap together after a chat but its nothing more than just falling asleep on the same bed----Im sure theres no hanky panky stuff happening, just that they are very innocent and immature for thier ages. I suppose their mother isolated them alot.
I actually think the best thing for me to do is try and get them each partners for dating? They never go out accept for shopping.

Longsho, The sister listens to those cutesy ALL BOYS type groups.Definately not the kind of music I like but I`m open minded to others choices.
The brother on the opposite extreme is a Taiwanese hard rocker.He plays stuff like Ac/Dc, Deep Purple, ZZ top, and Marilyn Manson full blast first thing in the morning.

longsho wrote:

Are you asking me?
Ok, if you are, I meant it is definately not typical that Taiwanese brothers and sisters in their 30’s fight and argue (even waving a kitchen knife) with each other on a daily basis like that, you idiot!
:x

They are in their 30s and they NAP together? Get out of there, man.

Flika, don`t misunderstand me. They may just be chatting in one or the others room sitting on the bed and fall asleep. Not that they are embraced or anything—one on either side of the bed and the door always open…just like a couple of children may do.
Unusual I know but seems innocent enough if you see it.

I find it weird anyhow that brother and sister (in that age) stay that close together - but then again I am a Westerner and never had a brother or sister.

Can’t do much about it I guess, just stay out of it so they won’t turn on you and stab you instead of each other … :wink:

it’s very common throught out asia that whole familys or family members live together even into late age. but Rascal is correct, don’t become a victim. :cry:

if she’s not too rough… give her a shag… you never know that might work… well at least it’s worth a try

[quote=“Griggs”]SOunds to me like these 2 and yourself need some serious chillin out from the city.
Also you could end up in some trouble if someone gets hurt there.
Tell you what; you want to get away and just chill out a while? you come on over to Green Island (Griggs Island/G.I).
You are in a negative trippy situation and what you need is a positive trippy situation here on G.I.
Check my user details for more info on it dude. :unamused:[/quote]

Griggs, checked out your site on Green Island ,Might just take you up on the offer and come there for a break.
What`s the best way to get there?

it’s very common throught out asia that whole familys or family members live together even into late age.

If they stay at the parents house ok, that’s nothing unusual here, but that bro&sis move together to another place - dunno, but I find it … say, strange …