Budget friendly healthy eating tips please!

But it gets rancid if not pasteurized before churning the milk. Butter shelf life 3-6 months (refrigerated), ghee 9+ months, unopened. Yoghurt is fermented and lasts way longer than milk. Not forever but when kept refrigerated a few months unopened, dates on the package are for safety reason as no one knows how they are stored. It probably also counts where they were manufactured, not every plant is squeaky clean.

I assume you don’t mean Taiwan room temperature? Butter spoils within days out of the fridge.
Have you ever made butter?
Made from cream more expensive than milk and a awful lot needed to make 100gram of butter.

Not necessarily. Cheaper in the wet markets here now than in the grocery store I used for years in Canada. Maybe the prices here have gone up in recent years, but I can guarantee they have gone up more in Canada.

Yes, needs the fridge here unless you’re climate controlled. 70° F, no problem.

Be my guest to use butter of more than 6 months in room temp. Rancidity is not a flavor I like in my food.

Dairy companies scoop of the cream (to churn butter and make whipping cream), and ‘defat’ the milk using membrane filters or centrifuges. Than reintroduce the fat into the milk to make skim, low fat or full cream milk, sometimes adding vegetable oils.

You don’t put a kilogram out at a time. :grin:
A week’s worth or so, so you have nice soft butter any time

Butter at room temp 6 days then rancid
Believe me I’ve milked cows and made butter I do know.
I’m a country boy at heart :heart:

In Taiwan you would get melted butter instead of soft. :wink:

Farmers used to skimp off the cream and put it into a cool ‘basement’ or room, it naturally fermented before it was churned.

You left out margarine. Many people here don’t understand the difference between margarine and butter other than that one is much cheaper than the other. I have yet to eat a sandwich or at a breakfast place here using butter. Margarine and god knows what kind of axle grease…plenty.

Also, many locally made dairy products are made from powdered milk. It’s a huge business. Many if not most of the yogurt and milk drinks at convenience stores are made with it.

Margarines are up to 50% water. Depending on the type. Butter has 80+% fat, special baking butters can have up to 90% fat.

Powdered milk is sometimes added to make a firm yogurt. Used a lot in baking as it’s easy to calculate hydration of your dough.

1 Like

Margarine is one of the worst things to use. As is coffee creamer yet people use it here in large quantities because it’s cheap.

Used to be hydrogenated fats but not all of them are now.

Most vegetarian topping cream is hydrogenated stuff in Taiwan, must love it. Really healthy cakes.

This is Taiwan so I don’t think it’s “sometimes” used. Any opportunity to cut corners will be used. Even if it means lying about the ingredients. A couple of years ago I bought a box of locally produced cookies at a health food store. One reason why was because it said “made with real butter”. Took it home, opened it up and after one bite I knew it wasn’t made with butter. A few weeks later while in the same shop I was talking to the manager about it and she actually called the company listed on the box and spoke to someone there. They actually confirmed there was no butter in the cookies but they wrote it on the box people want to see the word butter on the box.

Someone talked about 80NTD lunchboxes. I am happy to spend 160NTD per meal if the quality is better. Presumably there are places that cater to that budget? Can I cook? Sure, but for one person, I would have to cook for several days in order for the exercise to be worth it for myself.

Not to lose weight, just for general health. Cutting out fried foods is something I’m finding very difficult! Even when cooking at home, I end up frying things I wouldn’t usually just due to lack of an oven, which I should probably invest in.

A steamer might also be worth considering.

2 Likes