Budget friendly healthy eating tips please!

I do plan on buying an oven, I don’t have a rice cooker exactly, but an instant electric cooking pot that I use to cook rice and steam fish. My problem with Costco is that my freezer is tiny, I just can’t store that much frozen food otherwise I’d definitely give that a go!

Luckily for you, Costco sells chest freezers

1 Like

:joy::joy::joy: good to know!

1 Like

Fast fry in a non stick wok with a bit of canola oil is fine, and with a lid you can steam veggies in the same pan (fast fry the meat with aromatics, put aside and use the oil for veggies with a little water if needed, add the meat back with seasonings)

Freezer is key, look into getting a little chest freezer

There it is, very next post

1 Like

Tatung rice cooker/steamer 大同電鍋 is your buddy! Fried food is extremely high in calories and mostly fat. Cutting them out will help with your health ten fold and you’ll lose weight.

Or you can try air fryer first if you crave fried food.

Oven is worth it. Get a decent size of 110V model, allowing a dutch oven in. It’s sufficient for daily home cooking non-frying meals.

1 Like

indeed. that’s what I was saying, makes perfect sense in Taiwan when based on those and cultural diet norms here :slight_smile:

Pressure cookers are handy for making batches of healthy food and do a great job of softening tougher, cheaper cuts of meat.

3 Likes

You can make your own yogurt for 1/3 to 1/2 of the price of store-bought stuff.

Get a cheap yogurt maker off Carousell for a few hundred NT, then it’s just a matter of pouring milk into the machine, adding a couple of spoons from the previous yogurt batch, and keeping it in the machine overnight.

5 minutes of actual work, 12 hours in the machine, a few hours in the fridge for the whole thing to settle. Couldn’t be easier than that!

1 Like

Did you use a starter kit for the first batch? Or did you just buy a normal yogurt from the supermarket and then use that as the starter?

Normal yogurt. My local PX Mart sells a tiny box of Matthew’s Choice for NT$48 or something like that. Not enough to eat, but works great as a starter.

Honestly almost any yogurt works. Years ago when unsweetened yogurt was impossible to find, I used sweetened yogurt and after 1 or 2 batches you can’t tell the difference.

I typically get a new starter after 12 to 15 batches because I feel the bacteria get lazy over time (meaning the yogurt gets less thick).

1 Like

Generations a to y are ok, but then zzzzzzz

1 Like

I do make my own Greek style, saucepan slow boil to 84c turn off cool until around 50c stir in shop bought yogurt or leftover from last batch.
Cover saucepan wrap in a towel, leave overnight.
Morning strain through Muslim ccouple of hours.
Until the whey has drained out, smooth creamy yogurt, I use a lot to make Nan breads.

Ingredients

• 1 3/4 cups self-rising flour use gluten-free, if needed
  • 1 cup Greek Yogurt vegan Greek yogurt, non-fat, full-fat or reduced fat
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon butter of choice Optional, to brush naan breads
    Instructions
  • In a large mixing bowl, combine your flour, salt (if using it) and Greek yogurt. Mix well, until combined. Then, use your hands to form a large ball of dough.
  • Lightly flour a wooden or kitchen surface. Sprinkle a little extra flour on top of the ball of dough, before transferring it to the floured surface. Flatten into a circular shape and divide into 8 even portions. Flatten each portion into a rectangular shape (like a classic Naan bread).
  • Heat a non-stick saucepan on medium heat. When hot, place flattened dough and cook for 3 minutes, before flipping and cooking a further 2 minutes. Repeat until all the naan bread is cooked.
  • Once cooked, if desired, lightly brush the tops of each naan bread with melted butter.
6 Likes

That’s the expert process.

I’m too lazy for the boiling. Just use the yogurt maker, which reduces the whole process to less than 5 minutes of actual work.

1 Like

In addition to pressure cooking dried beans and slow cooking cheap cuts of meat, my Instant Pot had a yogurt function

4 Likes

Oh I’d like on of them!
Taiwan bought?

This was back in Canada. It was dropped due to carelessness and bad luck a piece snapped off. If I lose something due to carelessness I’m not quick to replace it…

But i miss it

I think you can get them at Costco, 7-in-1 had the yogurt function I believe

Can definitely get from amazon with English buttons, add on a slow cooker lid while you’re there

https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-Multi-Use-Programmable-Pressure/dp/B01B1VC13K?th=1&psc=1

1 Like

Thanks I’ll look into it.

Muslin.

You can buy cheap second hand yogurt makers (80 NT$) that fit the square carton, just open carton, add starter, shake, put in yogurt maker and go. Or if you want to heat first, just heat, let cool to 42C, add starter, and put back in the pack.

4 Likes